All-Star Cheer & Gymnastics

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
Our All Star Gym offers quality cheer & gymnastics. My girls are blessed to be able to take both from our gym. Do any other gyms out there do this? Does anyone else balance cheer and gymnastics? What are your thoughts on it? We love it. I think the two sports compliment each other very well! :)

I think it depends on how competitive you want to be in each. Olympics focused Gymnastics is much more focused on perfecting technique in tumbling, and the gymnastics way is not always the cheerleading way to tumble. In cheerleading many times once a skill is landed, it is deemed "solid" so we move on to the next skill which wouldnt be the case in serious gymnastics. They'd still be making you perfect that backhandspring for years so you'd be level 2 in cheer in some cases, yet in the long run your tumbling would be better as the basics would be stronger hence making it easier to progress later on. There are similarities but I think that eventually once you get to the higher levels of cheer or gymnastics you would have to choose one to focus on or the time differences and style differences would be difficult to pull off (not to mention the multiple aparatuses in gymnastics). With recreational gymnastics however, I feel that it goes great together with cheer because if anything that is added conditioning and strengthening without the focus on trying to be 100 percent super perfect and headed to the olympics. Power tumbling is also a good match with cheerleading imo, as it is just focusing on floor skills essentially which ties into cheer (Kiara Nowlin anyone? :).....I believe FCA has a gymnastics program in addition to cheer, AZ Power trained out of a gymnastics gym, and lots of gymnastics gyms have a cheer team or two also! I'm sure there are plenty more.

I think it depends on how competitive you want to be in each. Olympics focused Gymnastics is much more focused on perfecting technique in tumbling, and the gymnastics way is not always the cheerleading way to tumble. In cheerleading many times once a skill is landed, it is deemed "solid" so we move on to the next skill which wouldnt be the case in serious gymnastics. They'd still be making you perfect that backhandspring for years so you'd be level 2 in cheer in some cases, yet in the long run your tumbling would be better as the basics would be stronger hence making it easier to progress later on. There are similarities but I think that eventually once you get to the higher levels of cheer or gymnastics you would have to choose one to focus on or the time differences and style differences would be difficult to pull off (not to mention the multiple aparatuses in gymnastics). With recreational gymnastics however, I feel that it goes great together with cheer because if anything that is added conditioning and strengthening without the focus on trying to be 100 percent super perfect and headed to the olympics. Power tumbling is also a good match with cheerleading imo, as it is just focusing on floor skills essentially which ties into cheer (Kiara Nowlin anyone? :).....I believe FCA has a gymnastics program in addition to cheer, AZ Power trained out of a gymnastics gym, and lots of gymnastics gyms have a cheer team or two also! I'm sure there are plenty more.
Thanks for all the information! :)

My girls did both cheer and gymnastics for a while. My oldest was a level 9 gymnast and a level 5 cheerleader. She did both for about 4 years. It took almost all of her time. She had gymnastics practice from 3 to 7 every day, but left early 2 days a week (at 6) to make her cheer practice (7-9) which was an hour away.

There was another girl that did the same. They were both on the same cheer and gymnastics teams so at least we could car pool.

Jenn then quit gymnastics and only cheered her senior year in high school (after being in gymnastics since she was 3) Now she goes to Louisville and cheer with gym tyme.

My youngest quit gymnastics when she was in 7th grade and cheers now for both her high school (football season) and UA Prodigy.

I think both girls benefitted from being in gymnastics, but I glad they are only doing the one sport now, both financially and time wise. And both are much happier having a life outside of the gyms.

My girls did both cheer and gymnastics for a while. My oldest was a level 9 gymnast and a level 5 cheerleader. She did both for about 4 years. It took almost all of her time. She had gymnastics practice from 3 to 7 every day, but left early 2 days a week (at 6) to make her cheer practice (7-9) which was an hour away.

There was another girl that did the same. They were both on the same cheer and gymnastics teams so at least we could car pool.

Jenn then quit gymnastics and only cheered her senior year in high school (after being in gymnastics since she was 3) Now she goes to Louisville and cheer with gym tyme.
A level 9 gymnast! Wow! that is such a hard level to obtain. That is on the College level and Olympic track. Does she miss the gymnastics any or does the cheer keep her busy by itself?

A level 9 gymnast! Wow! that is such a hard level to obtain. That is on the College level and Olympic track. Does she miss the gymnastics any or does the cheer keep her busy by itself?

She does not miss gymnastics one bit. She is happy to be a cheerleader and happy she made the choice before her senior year of high school. She was able to enjoy high school a lot more with all the extra time she gained by not being in the gymnastics gym. Funny thing is Bars was her favorite event. So far from anything you do in cheer.

She does not miss gymnastics one bit. She is happy to be a cheerleader and happy she made the choice before her senior year of high school. She was able to enjoy high school a lot more with all the extra time she gained by not being in the gymnastics gym. Funny thing is Bars was her favorite event. So far from anything you do in cheer.
That is really interesting. Thanks for sharing! :)

At my old gym (Cheer Corp All-Stars) they had Cheerlading and Gymnastics. I was fortunate to be able to do both. The practice schedule worked out perfect with the two of them. I loved doing both sports. I was at the gym every day of the week. I enjoyed being able to try both and liked the busy schedule:)

Our gym is gymnastics, trampolining and cheerleading. The history is in the gym and tramp with cheer only coming on board this year. I do have to say it works really well in some aspects; we get the best of the tumbling coaching and a great facility to work in. Luckily I am an established coach there and on the managing board for the facility other wise I fear that if it had have been a different coach for cheer then the gym coach may not have been so accommodating. As it is we get the floor for training when we have sessions and they go to apparatus for the time we're there. We are coming up against a problem over getting a sprung floor; we need a larger one that gym use and this means slightly moving 2 pieces of gym apparatus (which are fairly movable) but I also would like a coil sprung floor whereas they compete on a foam sprung floor. However, all in all it works and I'd rather have it this way in an amazing facility than out on my own in a community hall with no mats let along a sprung floor :)

Back