High School Cheer Parent Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2012
So I searched "cheer parents" "parents" and didnt find anything..

Calling all coaches !!!

On thursday I picked my teams and everyone was okay with their teams etc..I only have had one parent upset her daugther made JV. She was on JV last year and this year she made JV again.. she is a hard worker and is really dedicated. She loves cheerleading however she is a flyer. She doesnt know how to do anything else. She is still a little immature in the sense that she just loves flying so much she just always asks me to fly always asks me to do this and that - During our summer camp when she found out she wasnt flying JUST FOR CAMP I heard it from her mother "why isnt my daughter flying" and well the truth is none of the bases could lift her. Shes soo small but she is 150% muscle which makes her dead weight in the air. She is on JV now and is a "veteran" flyer on JV which I think she will shine. If i had put her on varsity she wouldnt be able to reach to front and I have 3 flyers that were varsity flyers last year and our 4th flyer that made it is a new cheerleader who happens to be freakishly good overnight like coming out of the woodworks with skills.

So now that I have made some justifications I need help ! This parent is texting me non stop asking why her daughter made JV again. She even went to the advisor of our league and asked her to bump her up. The advisor told her that she will not be stepping on my toes and that the decisions are final.I picked my teams on thursday night and its sunday morning and I am still hearing about it. This girls 11 year old sister has also jumped in and started messaing me "why didnt suzie make varsity" "you made my sister cry" .. just messaging me over and over again.. dare I say the H word with all this texting and fb messaging but .. what do you think I should do ?

How do these people have your cell phone number? Honestly I would remind them that Suzie should be happy to make any team because there are plenty of people who would love to take her spot and if the persistent calling and texting does not stop you will be forced to remove her from the team

Acedad of course is correct. The only thing I would be sure to offer is what she can work on to help her be prepared to make Varsity next year. Of course no guarantees, but be clear on what you need her to do and be in order to make that spot next year.

I don't know what state you are in, but you can't remove her from the team without just cause. The school board will just put her back on the team.

So stay calm, stay professional, make sure your Athletic Director is in agreement and has your back. Explain as you did above and hold strong :)

Tell her and the Mom what acedad said. Or go to the route of "she can either fly on JV or stand there in the front of stunts on varsity because she won't be going in the air. So what's it gonna be"

AceDad is quite correct.

The mom is only looking out for her daughter. You as the coach are looking out for each kid on both teams as well as looking out for the two teams. You want the two best teams you can get and whether at camp or practice or a game you are the coach and your decisions are final because they help everyone grow and get better.

Tell her and the Mom what acedad said. Or go to the route of "she can either fly on JV or stand there in the front of stunts on varsity because she won't be going in the air. So what's it gonna be"

Don't even give them a choice! They'll always pick what they want with no regard to an actual intelligent decision. Then you've opened up another can of worms--everyone gets to pick their team now bc you let her have the choice.

Don't even give them a choice! They'll always pick what they want with no regard to an actual intelligent decision. Then you've opened up another can of worms--everyone gets to pick their team now bc you let her have the choice.

Its more of a rhetorical choice. Explaining why shes on the team...painting a picture of what life would be like on another team. I've had to use it with middle school cheer. It worked. The parent shut up.

I had the situation w/ 2 girls this year. One is a junior who made JV b/c she just isn't ready for varsity in a number of ways the other was a GREAT cheerleader, but she only knew how to fly and she really didn't have any bases on JV or Varsity to lift her, however, we felt that maybe she would work on her flexibility and eventually learn how to base when she saw the smaller freshmen were excelling faster then her group. Needless to say, she didn't make it past half the summer and quit.

Just say your decisions are final, state why. Don't give choices or options.

My coach tried that with a girl this year. She said she'd be on varsity and stand there, but now the whole team has to hear her cry and moan about how she's not flying.

Back