High School Cheering For Girl Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

our head cheerleading coach was told that they wanted us to cheer for girls sports teams. For example, they wanted us to cheer for field hockey and girls basketball. We didn't want to do this and they didn't want us cheering for them either. Has this ever happened to your school? What are your thoughts on it?

My high school had a rule that the cheerleaders had to cheer an equal number of girls and boys basketball games so we always had two squads and one was the cheer for the girls. The basketball team actually liked it because it showed support when it is usually the boys that get all the support. I feel that the cheerleaders at any school should support girls sports just as much as they do the boys.

cheering for girls field hockey? awwwkward. i really don't see the point in cheering for girls sports, the majority of the girls teams don't want the cheerleaders there anyways, it's annoying for everyone.

If you were on the girls basketball would you not want to know you have the same amount of support that the boys have? If anything it isn't fair that the boys get the cheerleaders support but the girls don't. The reason it should be done is SPORTSMANSHIP. I actually find it really weird that schools don't make their cheerleaders cheer for girls teams. All the school around me have cheerleaders at boys and girls games.

Look at colleges, they cheer women's sports. Louisville's Champion all girl and smoed teams cheer for their womens basketball team and even attends their tournement appearances. They show their support for these teams because that is what cheerleaders do, they support their school.

If teams don't want to support their school's athletes because they are girls then how do they expect to get support from other people in the school? If you can't support your basketball team then don't get mad when they don't support you and say you aren't a real athlete.

we have been cheering for girls basketball for 3 or 4 years. at first they HATED us being there and they told us that everyday in school but slowly they got used to it and now they love having us, they actually get upset if we don't go to one of their games!

I think its weird that there is even an option to not cheer for girls sports (girls basketball in particular bc here you only cheer fball/bball).

When I was in high school the girls team complained that they felt like they didn't get the same kind of "spirit" the boys did.

Back