High School Cheering For Girl Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 20, 2010
our head cheerleading coach was told that they wanted us to cheer for girls sports teams. For example, they wanted us to cheer for field hockey and girls basketball. We didn't want to do this and they didn't want us cheering for them either. Has this ever happened to your school? What are your thoughts on it?

We have to cheer for girls basketball. When I was in 8th grade one of the basketball moms said that they didn't want us there, but this past year, my jr year, one of the moms actually thanked us for being there. Personally, I hate it. They are slower than boys games and they just seeem to drag on.

heres the thing, . . . 4 years ago we started that. and GIRLS are FIESTY.
they didnt want us there so badly that they stole one of our mats and didnt want to give it back. the girls still cheered for them the thing with the girl sports that i seen is that those girls think that there the best athletes and they dont need girls cheering for them. they wont swallow their pride and accept. but we cheered and cheered till last year when they brought the girls gifts thanking them! best moment ever. they love the support. WHO DOESNT!

The school I coach for the cheerleaders have to cheer at atleast two of every sports games. Last year was my first season of this and no one was happy. It was a decision made by the athletic director and it seemed normal for me because that is what I did in high school. The girls soccer team hasn't started apperciating us yet but the volleyball team and basketball team started to really enjoy having us there, and was upset that we missed one of their playoff games. Cheerleaders need to have support of the school just like all the other teams. It is hard to cheer for someone who doesn't want you there.

So do the best you can stay positive and cheer readlly loud. Learn all of the players names and numbers so you cheer and give spirit for each player indiviually. THEY LOVE IT! Make up specific cheers for each sport. You don't have to perform your most difficult skills they won't notice just don't mess up the ones you do. And have your coach talk to the coach of the team you are supporting. If the coach of the team you are cheering for is on your side the atheletes will eventually come around. You'd be amazed at how staying positive and doing a good job will change their minds about you in one season.

you didnt finish the title of the thread! cheering for girl teams... IS AWFULLLL.
at least at my school it is. the girls bball team for ex- they HATE the cheerleaders, they think we're stupid and attention whores and we're taking the spotlight from them.
its not fun to waste time making cookies, practicing and cheering at their games when all they do is intentionally throw their bballs at us doing warmups and make fun of us. #nothanks

There's a silver lining to every situation. Think of it this way...usually there aren't many people at these games so you can take this time to experiment with stunts, dances, etc. Try new flyers. Take a chance and do that stunt you've been working on at practice in public. If you fall, it's not as big of a deal as if it were a football game.

Have none of you watched Mean Girls? We're all taught that we're rivals, that we're in competition with each other ... of course the basketball/volleyball/whatever girls are going to hate you at first, they'll feel like the spotlight is taken away from them. Cheerleaders (generally) are the girls people want to look at, so you standing on the sidelines cheering for them isn't initially going to make them feel awesome. But stick it out, be genuine and enthusiastic and they'll eventually learn to love you, just like @Seeker30 said. Show them how true sports(wo)manship is done.

we cheer for boys and girls basketball and it actually has gone really well! the girls never had a problem with us, they even try and learn our cheers to shout along with us during the boys game. they also cheer us on when we preform our competition routine, and by traveling with them we all have become friends :)

There's a silver lining to every situation. Think of it this way...usually there aren't many people at these games so you can take this time to experiment with stunts, dances, etc. Try new flyers. Take a chance and do that stunt you've been working on at practice in public. If you fall, it's not as big of a deal as if it were a football game.
at my school the boys basketball games have no fans and they are the team we cheer for mainly. we were supposed to start cheering at girls basketball games but the girls DID NOT want us to come because they already have their own cheering section called the "faithfuls" that would outshine our team anyway, so we made a hip hop routine and performed once to make the school happy.

We have to cheer for the girls basketball, even the jv team has to cheer for the jv girls. Its boring since there are a lot less fans in the stand, but some of the basketball mom, will cheer with us in part of the cheer, or when we tumble or stunt they cheer and yell for us, which is nice.

I never thought of it that way. That's a really good point

All girls sports at my school HATE us. Coincidentally, our entire team fits the cheerleader stereotype almost perfectly (skinny, pretty, popular. bleh.) We usually only cheer big games for the girls' teams. We cheer senior night, the cross-town rivalry game, etc. The girls' basketball team constantly complains when we cheer at their games.

The first 2 years I was on varsity we didn't have to cheer for girls basketball. Then out sports dircetor decided that we should cheer for them or else we wouldn't be allowed to compete, so we didn't really have an option. A lot of people on our cheer team and basketball team are friends with each other so there isn't that much conflict but we just hate doing it and they don't want cheerleaders either.

Oh but an advantage for out cheer team is that we only have to go to the Friday games and we don't travel to other schools either.

Back