All-Star Cheering With An Injury

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

as a gymnast, even when i had a fractured vertebrae, i would be told do almost everything except tumbling or bending my back even though my doctor said the only thing i should be doing is walking and doing sitting exercises
now in cheer, i see a lot of my teammates work through their injuries. a lot of times it goes away on its own. but if we hurt something really badly during practice the coaches are a lot more lenient about letting us rest. i think part of the time, girls just dont tell their coaches and push through it because, THEY want to do it for the team.
i'm currently injured and dying to start tumbling again as my injury is getting better everyday. but we're starting full outs within the next week and my coach had me rest for the last few weeks so that i could jump in sooner rather than working through pain for the next who knows how many months

I have seen kids come back early and re injure them selves so many times in this sport. The repercussions of an injured kid who comes beck too early and gets hurt again can effect the whole team. For example, on one of CP,s teams :What should have been 4 weeks out ended up being 7. This is a 7 year old who mom brought back 2 weeks early against doctor's orders. I heard mom ask her " did you throw handsprings today?, well why not?" First practice back. She had the handspring less than a month before she got hurt, and got hurt because mom was pushing her to get it. Coach advised that they scale back on tumbling and lessons because he was worried about overuse. Mom wouldn't listen. When she came back, the kid was even more behind and had to learn a whole routine in like 2 weeks. It effected her stunt group and everyone around her when she didn't know what was going on.

Last edited:
I'm very lucky in that I've never had a truly serious injury (knock on wood). Once, I tore up my ankle tumbling. After a couple of weeks, I could walk, stunt, etc., but I didn't jump or tumble in practice. I did jump at competition though, with a lot of tape and some pain. I've also torn up my calf, but it was during spring training, so fortunately it didn't interfere with competitions, just tumbling again.

I think a lot of kids push back too early thinking they need to, and don't realize the long term damage they're doing by not giving time to rest. It's much easier for us adults to know when we've pushed too far and when we can start to come back.

I also think a lot of kids are treated incorrectly with injuries. So many kids need ice for every little bump that when they're seriously injure, they're not taken seriously. I've had kids tell me they can't put any weight on their foot, hoop all the way to the office for ice and fall full weight onto their foot with no notice, yet they're a "10" out of 10 on the pain scale. When those kids get truly injured, people don't take it as seriously. Other kids can hide it so well that you'd have no idea if they lost an arm cos they'd keep going. But that is another topic I think
My daughter is so mad at her coach now because he won't let her/spot her on a full until next month. She was cleared a month ago for everything except flying due to 2 knee surgeries, but he himself had knee surgery so he is just being xtra cautious. She is doing toe touches tuck and front punch tumbling but I will let him do what he feels is right! We do not due any qualifiers until January. I feel lucky to have him as a coach!

The ''take an ibuprofen and go '' mentality is very common .
So guilty of this. I took like 8 ibuprofen the morning before a competition when I pulled an ab muscle and I still didn't throw all my tumbling because it hurt so bad, oops.

I think there are different 'grades' of injury and that should reflect the athletes/ coaches decision as to whether to continue or sit out... E.g anything to do with head/neck/spine or ribs = 100% play it safe and be over cautious as to do otherwise could have very serious consequences. Other injuries could of course be as/more painful - but are unlikely to result in life threatening situations if they get worse! Whatever the injury the coach / parents should be fully aware of any consequences as athletes can easily be caught up in 'I didn't want to let my team down'!

Or 4 in 8 hours which is what they'll prescribe to you if you get a prescription for ibuprofen... And I'm definitely guilty of taking 4 together. 2 does nothing for me.... 4 on the other hand allowed me to get through tumbling with shin splints!

This is what my CP does when her shins splints are bothering her and she has to compete.

as a gymnast, even when i had a fractured vertebrae, i would be told do almost everything except tumbling or bending my back even though my doctor said the only thing i should be doing is walking and doing sitting exercises
now in cheer, i see a lot of my teammates work through their injuries. a lot of times it goes away on its own. but if we hurt something really badly during practice the coaches are a lot more lenient about letting us rest. i think part of the time, girls just dont tell their coaches and push through it because, THEY want to do it for the team.
i'm currently injured and dying to start tumbling again as my injury is getting better everyday. but we're starting full outs within the next week and my coach had me rest for the last few weeks so that i could jump in sooner rather than working through pain for the next who knows how many months
I can't imagine the pain you experienced on bars.

can y'all start taking ginger supplements instead of NSAIDs? its a natural anti-inflammatory that also gets rid of nausea instead of destroying the lining of your stomach and causing permanent damage like advil. your future ulcers will thank me one day.
Woo-hoo! Another pro-natural Fierceboarder!

can y'all start taking ginger supplements instead of NSAIDs? its a natural anti-inflammatory that also gets rid of nausea instead of destroying the lining of your stomach and causing permanent damage like advil. your future ulcers will thank me one day.
And where would one find ginger supplements? Whole Foods?

Back