All-Star Cheerlebrity Lessons?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Would you attend a cheerlebrity seminar for your CP?

• Yes

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • No

Votes: 96 93.2%

• Total voters
Yes, but A&T is a NCAA Varsity sport. Parents who accept money and gifts on behalf of their 8 year old daughter are likely ruling that opportunity out before she even has a chance to consider it.

A and T is a sport on each team's respective campus. All teams are following NCAA rules and have been since the sport started. They are not yet accepted as an emerging sport nor is any form of cheer. The emerging sport process was refined last summer with a clear checklist for submitting a proposal.

You know...it sounds like what might be useful is a seminar with info about NCAA rules...and personally I'd love to go to one regarding some tips on keeping kids safe on social media. My kids only have Musically accounts but I'm sure that will change...some people and organizations I know use social media almost exclusively as a means of communication.

Set their accounts to private. Sadly though that means limiting their cheerlebrity exposure ;)

Set their accounts to private. Sadly though that means limiting their cheerlebrity exposure ;)

Heaven forbid! LOL...

The private setting is a good start, but a friend of mine does that and still had a video of her daughter end up on dirty girl's web site...needless to say, she was pretty upset...

Heaven forbid! LOL...

The private setting is a good start, but a friend of mine does that and still had a video of her daughter end up on dirty girl's web site...needless to say, she was pretty upset...

You want to protect your kids on social media?

Don't let them have social media accounts...or an electronic mobile device before the age of 16.

This idea that all kids have a right to an ipod/ipad/iPhone as a reward for peeing in the potty, is asinine. Addiction to cell phones and social media is probably causing more psychological damage than drugs, alcohol, and sex right now. Check out the youtube video Simon Sinek on Millennials.

On one hand I'm rolling my eyes..

On the other hand....this is the industry where folks are paying $300 for the same weave ponytails that girls in the hood have been making for decades

giphy.gif

If they're dumb enough to follow y'all up..let them

I told someone I could make their kid's pony for $75.

They didn't believe me.

You want to protect your kids on social media?

Don't let them have social media accounts...or an electronic mobile device before the age of 16.

This idea that all kids have a right to an ipod/ipad/iPhone as a reward for peeing in the potty, is asinine. Addiction to cell phones and social media is probably causing more psychological damage than drugs, alcohol, and sex right now. Check out the youtube video Simon Sinek on Millennials.
You are spot on. However, I must ask...do you currently have a young teen? Because before my kids hit tweendom/teendom, I was all, "MY kids won't have this, and MY kids won't do this and OMG, teens are going to hell in a handbasket!" ;) And now they are teens. And they are generally bright, kind, and active, BUT they are teens. And as such, it is one of their jobs connect with their peers. It is next to impossible for most teens to have a somewhat normal social life in 2017 without social media of some sort. Do I like it? No, but I am a realist. Do I resent this additional layer of WORK I have to do to police this? Yes I do. But I can't turn back time to the 80s. I do keep my kids as private as possible, but yes, it generally stinks.

On one hand I'm rolling my eyes..

On the other hand....this is the industry where folks are paying $300 for the same weave ponytails that girls in the hood have been making for decades

giphy.gif

If they're dumb enough to follow y'all up..let them
Which still doesn't change the fact that people will eat up whatever people dish out in this industry....no matter how bogus it seems on the surface.

This is also a great way to measure interest and use it as a catalyst into something that is lucrative
This.

The "cheerlebrity" thing is fleeting. The second your child graduates out, someone new is coming in to take their place. There have been so many cheer famous kids throughout the years...how many of them are thought of on the daily? None. I'm a firm believer in staying OFF the radar. While it's nice to be appreciated and known for all the positives, the negatives always follow close behind. If there's anything we like to do more than put someone on a pedestal to knock them off, I can't think of one.

like this is the woman who opened her own gym and paid "cheerlebrities" to be a part of it and the whole thing seemed petty and a mess from day one. I don't know what her fixation on fame and living vicariously through her kid is..

I'm not on Facebook and have no idea about the Black Girls Cheer thing... It could have potential and fill a need for some girls. But how about we instead invest our time/energy/money into seminars on teaching the older girls to be mentors and good role models? Putting on free clinics in lesser served areas to reach wider audiences? Fundraising for or sponsoring one of these girls because cheer is astronomically expensive? Maybe organize an HBCU cheer showoff/recruiting kind of event?

She's a phenomenal tumbling instructor and I'm sure she has a great heart, but if Cheerlebrity 101 is associated with Black Girls Cheer thats even more confusing to me. While I get the need for more black girls as the face of all these cheer products and things, pimping out and famewhoring your kid doesn't seem like the answer???

Clearly Angel's mom is a good tumbling instructor.

...So focus on that, lady. Use your powers for good and teach kids to tumble. This focus on celebrity rather than talent is so completely misplaced.

The most unfortunate thing is that I bet it will be hugely popular. This won't be the last seminar of its type that we see.

Sorry it's so big

2rpzr0w.jpg

A friend showed me this. What do you guys think? There have been many discussions on FB about cheerlebrities and how to handle the phenomenon. Is this something worth looking into as a parent? Would you go to this if you were new to cheer?

IMO, this is disgusting. And no, I would never in a million years seek this out.

i guess its a double edged sworn, if becoming noticed for great skills like angel and her tumbling helps you get a scholarship to college, i see no wrong in "showing off". But then there are the parents who want to have their kids be famous for nothing, just to get free stuff, money, etc. Ive only ever seen a handful of cheerlebrities be a positive role model for younger girls, angel being one of them carly being another, gabi, i could name a few more... But now i see more and more girls who's only claim to fame is their big poof and their fancy car, young girls idolize them because their pretty (which there is nothing wrong with that) but its like wheres the talent or motivational factor that these "insta famous" girls are setting for the younger generation.... cause i no longer see one for a lot of the younger cheerleaders coming up into the age of cheerlebrity fame.

i guess its a double edged sworn, if becoming noticed for great skills like angel and her tumbling helps you get a scholarship to college, i see no wrong in "showing off". But then there are the parents who want to have their kids be famous for nothing, just to get free stuff, money, etc. Ive only ever seen a handful of cheerlebrities be a positive role model for younger girls, angel being one of them carly being another, gabi, i could name a few more... But now i see more and more girls who's only claim to fame is their big poof and their fancy car, young girls idolize them because their pretty (which there is nothing wrong with that) but its like wheres the talent or motivational factor that these "insta famous" girls are setting for the younger generation.... cause i no longer see one for a lot of the younger cheerleaders coming up into the age of cheerlebrity fame.
What college is she (Angel) going to? ...and yeah, no way all these pony and spray hawking 8 year olds are going to even see a payoff in 10 years when they reach college age. They'll be far irrelevant by then.

Back