Coach Refuses To Release Athlete

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Unfortunately I don't have great news.

I contacted Steve Peterson, USASF Vice President, member of the USASF Sanctioning Committee, and the Worlds Advisory Board.

According to Steve:

"There is no leeway in the rule. If you have competed on a team during this season you must have a release waiver signed by the gym in order to compete at Worlds."

You may obviously contact him yourself, please e-mail me if you'd like to have his contact information. The only other thing I can suggest is to appeal to this gym owner, but let him/her know that if they choose to be unfair, you will not speak well about his business. There are many places you can chose to give feedback as a customer.

SharkDad, thanks for getting some clarification. I love how everyone on here wants to give their own opinion. All I wanted was someone to lead me in the right direction for information. I want to work with the owner and see if I can get the release. I believe that I have the leverage necessary, but was trying to appeal to USASF instead of dealing with the gym owner anymore.

1. We have left the gym. Worlds was just a bonus, not a reason for us leaving or a factor in IF we were leaving.
2. I like how some of you lump all "gym-hoppers" together as if they are some type of low class citizen. WE LEFT OUR ORIGINAL GYM DUE TO CHEATING. THERE ARE NO CHEERLEADERS ON ESPN ACCEPTING SIGNING BONUSES AND MULTIMILLION DOLLAR CONTRACTS We are in the sport for the simple benefits of any other sport, teamwork, sportsmanship, athleticism and hopefully a little help with college. I will not have my child in a program that negates these lessons. Nor will I spend my hard earned money supporting the coaches and owner who participate in this type of activity. I also refuse to allow my child's name to be tarnished by associating with such a program. How would any of you feel if you paid all of your yearly fees and had a title stripped because of something that an owner allowed to transpire? It is simply not worth it.
3. I called the cheating to the owner's attention. They admitted that they knew about it. When I threatened to leave if it didn't stop, I was repeatedly promised that it would be taken care of. One of the coaches even told me that if the ends justify the means, I shouldn't have a problem with it.

There are some things you can do.

1st - You can speak to the gym owner with your business and lack of recommendation. I don't recommend going out and slamming a gym's name, but if anyone asks you. . feel free to be honest with your opinon without being emotional and slanderous.

2d. If you truly think this gym was cheating, please bring the specifics up. You can provide the information to the sanctioning board directly or if you'de like, send it to me and I'll forward it to them. The Rules Sanctioning committee would have to look into it and determine if it's valid to pursue, then if it's worth pursuing determine if it is truly a rules violation. I can't speak to exactly how they will do this, but if you never bring the information up we will never know.

3d. If you don't feel like bringing this up officially, then chalk it up to experience and please don't start any accusations.

Hope this helps. To re-iterate what was said earlier: Nothing would stop you from changing programs and even competing, but unfortunately without a release, your child cannot compete at Worlds with a second program.

SharkDad, thanks for getting some clarification. I love how everyone on here wants to give their own opinion. All I wanted was someone to lead me in the right direction for information. I want to work with the owner and see if I can get the release. I believe that I have the leverage necessary, but was trying to appeal to USASF instead of dealing with the gym owner anymore.

1. We have left the gym. Worlds was just a bonus, not a reason for us leaving or a factor in IF we were leaving.
2. I like how some of you lump all "gym-hoppers" together as if they are some type of low class citizen. WE LEFT OUR ORIGINAL GYM DUE TO CHEATING. THERE ARE NO CHEERLEADERS ON ESPN ACCEPTING SIGNING BONUSES AND MULTIMILLION DOLLAR CONTRACTS We are in the sport for the simple benefits of any other sport, teamwork, sportsmanship, athleticism and hopefully a little help with college. I will not have my child in a program that negates these lessons. Nor will I spend my hard earned money supporting the coaches and owner who participate in this type of activity. I also refuse to allow my child's name to be tarnished by associating with such a program. How would any of you feel if you paid all of your yearly fees and had a title stripped because of something that an owner allowed to transpire? It is simply not worth it.
3. I called the cheating to the owner's attention. They admitted that they knew about it. When I threatened to leave if it didn't stop, I was repeatedly promised that it would be taken care of. One of the coaches even told me that if the ends justify the means, I shouldn't have a problem with it.

I want to be the first to apologize. I posted several comments in this thread but did not mean for it to sound like I was directing those comments at you or your situation. Often times on this board threads take a right turn and we all get off onto unrelated topics, etc. I am obviously against gym hopping mid-season but I was not suggesting that you were doing that. I wasn't directing anything I said to you. I was merely making conversation about the rule. I'm sorry you are going through this situation. It's got to be tough to be in that position. I would not want to be in your shoes. Four years ago my family moved two states over because they gym we were with didn't provide the morals and ethics we wanted our children to learn. So I understand not wanting to have your children in certain atmospheres. I hope it all works out for you.

What happened to the Coach at SJS remembering the "I Promise" oath/rules of the USASF ...The one that says...to integrate life lessons on and off the mat..... The one that says "I will devote my energy to teaching life skills and cheerleading skills. I understand that the life lessons I give yo my athletes will stay with them much longer than any medal or trophy!"

Or..."I understand that I am responsible for my behavior, and I will not allowed profanity, anger or disrespect to be a part of any of my interactions including social media and in person."

This person's behavior is appalling. I seriously question her integrity. She has acted solely on her anger and desire to "stick it to" someone and has been very disrespectful to the child involved and to the family by holding this child hostage! I don't believe that this gym owner should have the sole power to decide the fate of a child. USASF should be stepping in ...after all it's their crazy rule that they approved mid season.

we have the same thing going on with disputes between our gym and another. they are not required to release them until after a new season begins.

we have the same thing going on with disputes between our gym and another. they are not required to release them until after a new season begins.
I understand...but the owner should be held accountable for her blatant disregard for the pain and suffering she has caused this young man. There is nothing good that he can learn from this. Through all of these rules I believe USASF and this SJS gym owner have lost sight of the most important thing in cheerleading THE KIDS

I put a call in to my USASF Regional Contact. She said she contacted the USASF for me and will be letting me know the response. I asked her about Level 5 Worlds Team hopping to Level 5 Worlds team, and also if this applied for all levels of cheer or just Worlds teams... Whenever i hear bacdk I will post the response.
I called yesterday...and sadly the USASF collects your registration fees for your children...but in the same breath they said that they do not "control the other levels...only 5 and 6.

I understand...but the owner should be held accountable for her blatant disregard for the pain and suffering she has caused this young man. There is nothing good that he can learn from this. Through all of these rules I believe USASF and this SJS gym owner have lost sight of the most important thing in cheerleading THE KIDS
but do they actually have a reason to do it? if they honestly don't then and no bad talking about the gym was happening then i guess there's no reason they couldn't have released but there are some times like with my gym, where it isn't just the gym owners being mean, they had a reason.

There is NO reason to hurt this child, the financial obligations have all been met...the owner of SJS is just trying to stick it to the other gym owner. This is so lame. I would never try out for a gym that is willing to sacrifice/hurt my child for their own selfish issues. Never try out for South Jersey Storm

wait, is it that you can't compete at Worlds with another gym than the one you first started the season with or is it you can't compete with another gym at Worlds after you got a Worlds bid with the other one..?

@proud2cheer - The lesson is quitting something in the middle has consequences. The rule was set in place - and it was broke.

wait, is it that you can't compete at Worlds with another gym than the one you first started the season with or is it you can't compete with another gym at Worlds after you got a Worlds bid with the other one..?

If you've competing with team A at all during the season you can't go to Worlds with team B without getting a release from team A. Regardless of bid status.

i can relate to this because at our gym a head coach/cheer director left mid season..and about 8 girls left sr5 because they couldnt finish out the season without her...but one girl goes ahead and wants to compete on our rival team at worlds? that contradicts on what why they left... thats not right...she did not deserve a release for screwing over a team...if thats the case then no the athlete should NOT get a release.

Back