All-Star Coaching In The Uk

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 24, 2012
Hi! I'm really sorry if this is in the wrong place I wasn't sure where to put it.

I'm going to uni to study sports science and coaching with the hopes of becoming a personal trainer/coach. But my dream realistically would be to be a cheer coach. I was just wondering if anyone here had experience in coaching/starting their own cheer team because I could really use the guidance. I coached my old Junior and Mini teams and absolutely loved it, but I have big dreams of having my own gym/coaching a bigger and higher level team. Obviously I'd need cheer coaching credentials, but as I say... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :)

Hi! I'm really sorry if this is in the wrong place I wasn't sure where to put it.

I'm going to uni to study sports science and coaching with the hopes of becoming a personal trainer/coach. But my dream realistically would be to be a cheer coach. I was just wondering if anyone here had experience in coaching/starting their own cheer team because I could really use the guidance. I coached my old Junior and Mini teams and absolutely loved it, but I have big dreams of having my own gym/coaching a bigger and higher level team. Obviously I'd need cheer coaching credentials, but as I say... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :)

Hi again! Hope everything's going well for you? If you'd like I can ask my old coach if she'd give you a few tips, because she just started up our team last year?

A few practical points that I have picked up:
Make sure you have the correct insurance and qualification for whatever you're doing. I think that has to be the main thing becuase if you get it wrong, you probably won't be able to get back into coaching.
I'm not sure where you would want to start a team, but try to publicise it as much as you can, especially in areas where there isn't a team (we did a display a few months ago and the presenter said they hadn't really heard of cheer before...)
Think carefully about your location (transport links, other nearby teams, fairly close to at least a couple of comps etc.)
Set out rules right from the start. If you add them as you go along, you won't get the same sort of respect from the people who have been with you from the beginning.
Be upfront about costs. Yes it's expensive, but there are fundraisers etc you can do (you can always tie these in with promoting your team!)
Make sure you handle any money properly right from the start (hopefully you'll know someone who is a bookkeeper/accountant who can advise you on money matters :) ) and, if you can, give people a breakdown of where their money is going (x for insurance, y for gym hire etc). People will probably be less likely to fuss about costs if they can see exactly where all their money is going.

That's about allI can think of for now, good luck!

PS Sorry for any typos/grammar issues, not in the mood for proof-reading!

Hi again! Hope everything's going well for you? If you'd like I can ask my old coach if she'd give you a few tips, because she just started up our team last year?

A few practical points that I have picked up:
Make sure you have the correct insurance and qualification for whatever you're doing. I think that has to be the main thing becuase if you get it wrong, you probably won't be able to get back into coaching.
I'm not sure where you would want to start a team, but try to publicise it as much as you can, especially in areas where there isn't a team (we did a display a few months ago and the presenter said they hadn't really heard of cheer before...)
Think carefully about your location (transport links, other nearby teams, fairly close to at least a couple of comps etc.)
Set out rules right from the start. If you add them as you go along, you won't get the same sort of respect from the people who have been with you from the beginning.
Be upfront about costs. Yes it's expensive, but there are fundraisers etc you can do (you can always tie these in with promoting your team!)
Make sure you handle any money properly right from the start (hopefully you'll know someone who is a bookkeeper/accountant who can advise you on money matters :) ) and, if you can, give people a breakdown of where their money is going (x for insurance, y for gym hire etc). People will probably be less likely to fuss about costs if they can see exactly where all their money is going.

That's about allI can think of for now, good luck!

PS Sorry for any typos/grammar issues, not in the mood for proof-reading!

Thank you so much! All of that was so useful! If you could ask your coach that would be great. I'm seriously looking into this as I can't think of anything better to do as a career than to coach cheerleading. So I'm saving all of the help you've given and putting it in my file! :D Thanks again!

Back