All-Star Coaching Tips

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 10, 2011
This is my first year coaching, and I have made the huge mistake of being friends with the girls because I did not want them to hate me... Now they are not listening, and I don't feel that they respect me. Is it too late to start being strict now? I can use any tips, I am willing to do anything!

Had this exact same problem. This was my first year too. My team was pretty split. I had about half the team very respectful and listened all the time, and the other half wouldn't give me the time of day. Once we started competitions a lot of it cleared up. The girls who joked around all the time saw how serious it was, and how embarrassing it could potentially be if you don't go out there looking your best. They started motivating each other and it got better as the season progressed.

Never cleared up entirely though. Looking forward to next year to start off on a new foot and not make that mistake again.

This is my first year coaching, and I have made the huge mistake of being friends with the girls because I did not want them to hate me... Now they are not listening, and I don't feel that they respect me. Is it too late to start being strict now? I can use any tips, I am willing to do anything!

Its easy to start off strict and lighten up....but nearly impossible to start off not strict and then get strict. People already know your limits.

Definitely not too late to start being strict. But before you do-- sit the girls down and explain why. They only get the "cool coach" when they listen to and respect you.

I would recommend joining the coaches forum and posting this in there. That way you can get advice from other coaches.

Back