All-Star Coastal Battle At The Capitol D2 - March 18-19

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Overall, good competition (minus the division splits). Awards started over 30 minutes early for L1 Tiny and Mini though. Still confused how they thought that was a good idea.
Actually - Awards was a mess in general.

Overall, good competition (minus the division splits). Awards started over 30 minutes early for L1 Tiny and Mini though. Still confused how they thought that was a good idea.
Actually - Awards was a mess in general.
What happend? Were teams late or miss it since it started early?

My understanding is that there was a lot of complaining by gym owners about not splitting divisions (small/large and 15+ in divisions). They were told that they would not split any more than small vs. large because USASF does not have guidance on how to do the A/B split. I am guessing they got a lot of grief after the D1 BATC for how they did the A/B splits. I agree with SteelCheer that the USASF defines small and large divisions for a reason, so why do they combine them. It would not have cost Coastal anything to take the large team out of the small division and give them their jacket and let the small teams compete against each other.

In the Sr 4 division there was 11 small teams and 1 large. A small team won because they were so much better than all of the other teams and they deserved to win. Congratulations Cheer Empire, you were amazing. The large team came in second place even though they had a stunt group fall to the floor on Day 1 and their pyramid had multple issues on Day 2. The third place team had a zero deduction routine on Day 1. On Day 2, the team was held up for an extended period of time because of a "computer glitch". When the coaches asked for 5 minutes to re-warm up Coastal denied the request. About 30 seconds into the routine an athlete landed her layout, grabbed her knee, and fell to the ground. She is now out for the rest of the season with an ACL injury.

The team regrouped, added an athlete from another team, changed some positions and came out and hit their routine. When the coach got the composite sheets it was noted that there was a .25 deduction for the touchdown of the injured athlete. The coach argued that she landed the skill and had multiple videos to prove it. Coastal would not view any of the videos and would not consider the dispute because it was after the 20 minute timeframe. The coach was attending to the injured athlete.

Coastal had an opportunity to make it right during the awards ceremony and failed again. Instead of giving the WOW Award to a team that showed grit, determination, and an enormous amount of heart, they gave it to the large Senior 4 team. A team that did not have clean routines either day of the comp. I am not sure what the WOW Award is for but, I cannot believe it is to recognize a team that was not clean.

What happend? Were teams late or miss it since it started early?
The awards schedule was changed from the original general schedule and emails weren't sent out, I believe there were just paper schedules where you could pick up score sheets. Not a huge deal but it changed some times around. There were definitely some mini teams that missed it (poor kids!). They got back on track with time at the next awards session.
Prior to that at the L2 youth and L3 small senior there were so many people on the stage our kids were sitting on each other's laps. Insanity.

The awards schedule was changed from the original general schedule and emails weren't sent out, I believe there were just paper schedules where you could pick up score sheets. Not a huge deal but it changed some times around. There were definitely some mini teams that missed it (poor kids!). They got back on track with time at the next awards session.
Prior to that at the L2 youth and L3 small senior there were so many people on the stage our kids were sitting on each other's laps. Insanity.
Welp... thats a shame smh...

Overall our teams had a good experience but coastal announced the entire senior 3 division awards wrong. They announced day 1 standings instead of the actual results. Our girls made a huge leap in their standings didn't get to feel that during awards. 1st place didn't change but I know 2nd and 3rd place was different and feel for those teams that missed out on their moment. Nobody seemed to know when the level 1 awards were going to take place ... that was very chaotic. Also not many teams knew they could get rankings after their division finished. And judges fell asleep during one of our teams performances missing entire stunt sections... makes me question things. And our senior 3 team was commended for adding more running tumble on the 2nd day... umm we didn't change anything... so did they fall asleep during that teams section? Smh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My understanding is that there was a lot of complaining by gym owners about not splitting divisions (small/large and 15+ in divisions). They were told that they would not split any more than small vs. large because USASF does not have guidance on how to do the A/B split. I am guessing they got a lot of grief after the D1 BATC for how they did the A/B splits. I agree with SteelCheer that the USASF defines small and large divisions for a reason, so why do they combine them. It would not have cost Coastal anything to take the large team out of the small division and give them their jacket and let the small teams compete against each other.

In the Sr 4 division there was 11 small teams and 1 large. A small team won because they were so much better than all of the other teams and they deserved to win. Congratulations Cheer Empire, you were amazing. The large team came in second place even though they had a stunt group fall to the floor on Day 1 and their pyramid had multple issues on Day 2. The third place team had a zero deduction routine on Day 1. On Day 2, the team was held up for an extended period of time because of a "computer glitch". When the coaches asked for 5 minutes to re-warm up Coastal denied the request. About 30 seconds into the routine an athlete landed her layout, grabbed her knee, and fell to the ground. She is now out for the rest of the season with an ACL injury.

The team regrouped, added an athlete from another team, changed some positions and came out and hit their routine. When the coach got the composite sheets it was noted that there was a .25 deduction for the touchdown of the injured athlete. The coach argued that she landed the skill and had multiple videos to prove it. Coastal would not view any of the videos and would not consider the dispute because it was after the 20 minute timeframe. The coach was attending to the injured athlete.

Coastal had an opportunity to make it right during the awards ceremony and failed again. Instead of giving the WOW Award to a team that showed grit, determination, and an enormous amount of heart, they gave it to the large Senior 4 team. A team that did not have clean routines either day of the comp. I am not sure what the WOW Award is for but, I cannot believe it is to recognize a team that was not clean.
Just to be clear the divisions weren't "combined" but rather "not split" (yes there's a difference), the USASF does clarify small vs large in that they are not separate divisions. In this instance, Sr 4 is the division. It is then split into small and large if the numbers allow. The competition was correct in not splitting them, following USASF's guidelines. I won't comment on the rest of the post as I was not there and it didn't affect me. I had a few friends that coached teams at this comp and they had nothing but good things to say. I'm sorry you had a not so great experience.

We saw the routine with the injured athlete. Our hearts broke for the team. When they came back out on stage I couldn't believe how well they recovered and it was such a sweet jester for them all to run to the side of the stage and wave to their injured athlete. I think I cheered harder and louder for that team then I did for my own and so did our girls. They did an amazing job and hit beautifully.
We had some issues ourselves with scoring and judging. I'm not sure how a team that continually scores in a certain point range can go out, hit the routine well, and have a lower score then they've had all season. Then to find out that the teams that were above them also had falls and major timing issue, but didn't seem to be graded as hard. I'm not a judge and don't even want to say I have any idea how hard their job is... but I do think that sometimes there are huge inconsistencies in the judging from one team to the other.
I also noticed how much more "cheap" the competition has become. We have attended Batttle for years and always loved coming to it. This year however was not the same. The athlete medals have always been very large and impressive. This year they were plastic with a sticker. The grand champion trophy used to be a huge Washington monument that was the size of some of our cheerleaders. This year it was a quarter of the size and again plastic with a sticker. The competition has always treated coaches amazingly and had a huge coach room to go and unwind between teams. It was gone this year. It's really sad to see it go down hill. Now with the problems in the division splitting and the discrepancies in scoring we will have to really consider bringing our teams back next year.

I am curious on if any teams got D2 Summit bids at this comp or if any of the teams in this thread made it to D2 Summit?? If so how did they do?

I am curious on if any teams got D2 Summit bids at this comp or if any of the teams in this thread made it to D2 Summit?? If so how did they do?
Varsity bid reveal video shows d2 bid winners for Coastal as CAO Elite small y3, Cheer Empire small y2, Cheer Empire small s4, East Coast Xtreme large s4, TSC small j1 all at large and paid as Champs Central large j2

Back