College college cheer killing the allstar in you

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 25, 2010
hey ya'll :) so i am attending slippery rock university, and i am on coed. i am very much an allstar, and so i was excited to learn how close pss was. i went to an open gym the other night, and honestly, it did not feel right. i feel like i have already made a transition into college cheer, but i want to stay an allstar, maybe because i want to keep some consistency in my life? i'm not sure. for example the stunting, it's just so different. i based, and don't fly with 2 bases, so i'm not adjusting well. how do you maintain skills for both teams i suppose is what i'm asking lol they demand different things from you.

peace, love, and happy cheering
showstopper

I think you are asking how do you coed and group stunt and maintain both? Or the college and allstar style?

If you want to stay in allstar you may want to check out FCA's Open Team. It's not far from SRU. Different gyms have different styles.

I think you are asking how do you coed and group stunt and maintain both? Or the college and allstar style?

actually i'm asking both lol i have never flown with 2 bases under me, and i'm nervous it will hinder my true coed stunting skills. and slippery rock is a uca school, so they are very traditional, and very not allstars, and i don't want my fierce allstar habits interfere with traditional college style. make sense?

It does. Not gonna lie, it ain't easy. UCA does motions that make me cringe (and I'm sure they say the same thing about the flashy look of Allstar). It can be done, but you are gonna have to bust your butt to live in both worlds. The better at flying you get you'll be able to bounce between the two, but I'd be trying to fly just about every day.

It does. Not gonna lie, it ain't easy. UCA does motions that make me cringe (and I'm sure they say the same thing about the flashy look of Allstar). It can be done, but you are gonna have to bust your butt to live in both worlds. The better at flying you get you'll be able to bounce between the two, but I'd be trying to fly just about every day.

that's what I was afraid up. I suppose that just means it's time to hang up the infinities and become a spectator. thanks king :)

hahahahah I love you Chrissy :) I am in the same boat to be honest..but I love them both!! I think I am going to stick out one more year in all star (last year of normal eligibility) and I am starting to coach too :) my dream is coming true..haha p.s. college cheer= amazing!!

i think the all star cheerleader in me would plot to murder "uca me" if i went to a uca school.
im most likely going to transfer somewhere next year, hopefully louisville or hpu, but wherever
i end up, it WILL be nca. theres no way i would waste all those years of stretching, either =)
my advice though, dont give up on all star that easily! it seems as though all star feels natural to you, so do what you love, but make sure you work everyday to get those clean skills that are demanded of a UCA college cheerleader.

Chrissy my lovely. i know exactllyyy what you mean. Last year i found myself becoming more UCA style by the minute, but i started to coach allstar again and i changed back. It would be really hard to do both at the same time. Why dont you try to see if PSS or Fire and Ice (North) or Poison are hiring part-time coaches at all to get your fix. You get so much joy out of it.

Chrissy my lovely. i know exactllyyy what you mean. Last year i found myself becoming more UCA style by the minute, but i started to coach allstar again and i changed back. It would be really hard to do both at the same time. Why dont you try to see if PSS or Fire and Ice (North) or Poison are hiring part-time coaches at all to get your fix. You get so much joy out of it.

i think that sounds like an excellent idea! thanks girl! :)

Chrissssy! i feel you. haha its so wierd being so UCA coming from a lifestyle of all-stars everyday. I'm trying to hold onto the allstar world as much as possible even though i know we both LOVE SRU CHEER :D its a wierd transition but a good one to say the least

I moved on from allstar to college this year... it has been one of the most hard changes to make. I am in U Wisconsin Eau Claire, so there are no allstar gyms even remotely close to me that I could compete open with. I miss allstar so much though
:( We don't have as much of a overall talent pool as the allstar team I used to be on, and it has been rough adjusting to that. I hate that we barely have a competiton ready routine, while allstar gyms have already started to compete. I am not trying to diss any college teams out there, because I know they can be VERYYY good. But in WI, I cant seem to let go of the allstar life. Our team is more NCA style (thank god.) but our coaches don't seem to know what they are doing. We don't get to pull overstretch, scorp, scale, needles... ect, in the air. Also, I am the only girl who can do fulls, which is kinda sad because I like to to sync tumbling! How did you all adjust?? I am having such a hard time with it!

Back