College College Mascot?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 28, 2017
My CP is interested in potentially being a mascot in college. Her knees probably won’t take the strain of college cheer tumbling, but she really loves being part of the action, loves cosplay, and tends to be a person who puts on personality when she dresses up-even in a cheer uniform, and even more so when she’s cosplaying, etc. She also loves little kids, so doing outreach for her school as the character and being a character they come to appeals to her.

So, what can a high school kid who does not have an option to be a high school mascot do to prepare for college mascot tryouts? Any good summer camps, etc?

In some colleges, more than one person wears the mascot suit for games and appearances. At both colleges CP went to, one mascot has gone to NCA camp with them to get a bid to NCA Nationals. Some of the mascots spend a lot of their own money on the props they use at NCA. Some colleges have information about their mascot tryouts on their websites under cheerleading or spirit squads. If CP has any more useful information, I'll pass it on.

Have your CP (not you) get in touch with the spirit coordinator of the colleges she is interested in, introduce herself, and ask what the qualifications and tryout process are. As said above, most schools, especially the bigger ones have multiple people as the mascot. Many have never had experience prior to college. It's a great way to still be involved in the spirit program!

At some schools, interest is likely all she'll need. At others, she'll have to go through formal tryouts. As everyone else said, it's always a good idea to reach out to the spirit coordinator.

At my CP old school. There were two mascots. Mr and Mrs Wuf. Between 4 and 5 people were each mascot. One year one of the girls was much taller than the other two and made her own costumes. Our school has a formal tryout process and they take video submissions first. It is a ton more work. They are each required to do at least 10 public appearances outside of athletic events. But if your daughter is interested, find out the tryout process from the head coach. Our mascots competed with the team at NCA. (Mrs Wuf). Their fun tradition is when they graduate they pin their costume tail on their gown revealing themselves. My kid thought for a minute about doing it her 5th year after 4 cheer years but had too much on her plate. Good luck!

At my CP old school. There were two mascots. Mr and Mrs Wuf. Between 4 and 5 people were each mascot. One year one of the girls was much taller than the other two and made her own costumes. Our school has a formal tryout process and they take video submissions first. It is a ton more work. They are each required to do at least 10 public appearances outside of athletic events. But if your daughter is interested, find out the tryout process from the head coach. Our mascots competed with the team at NCA. (Mrs Wuf). Their fun tradition is when they graduate they pin their costume tail on their gown revealing themselves. My kid thought for a minute about doing it her 5th year after 4 cheer years but had too much on her plate. Good luck!

So does Louisville and Oklahoma State. At the UCA College Nationals, however, mascots only get to compete with the cheerleaders and dancers during the Game Day competitions but not during the routine competitions but they do get to compete in the mascot competitions. At UCA, there are two mascot divisions (Division IA and Open) while NCA just has one mascot division that isn't even streamed on Varsity TV compared to UCA.

So does Louisville and Oklahoma State. At the UCA College Nationals, however, mascots only get to compete with the cheerleaders and dancers during the Game Day competitions but not during the routine competitions but they do get to compete in the mascot competitions. At UCA, there are two mascot divisions (Division IA and Open) while NCA just has one mascot division that isn't even streamed on Varsity TV compared to UCA.
They do compete with them day 1. Just at the first part which is their spirit routine. Usually just 45 seconds. At least they did when my kid competed at NCA for 4 years

They do compete with them day 1. Just at the first part which is their spirit routine. Usually just 45 seconds. At least they did when my kid competed at NCA for 4 years
You're correct, although our mascot was on the mat for both days of competition - I think that is standard.

I just signed CP up for the 2 day UCA virtual mascot camp. I don't know how useful it will be (although when I pointed out that she doesn't have a mascot costume, she pointed out at least three outfits she does have from past cosplays that she can use to work on a character and skit) but it at least gives her something to do since it seems likely that she won't even get the option to try out this season.

Last edited:
Back