College College Student Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 3, 2020
Hi everyone,

I’m an incoming college freshman. Never cheered on a team a day in my life. I’ve taken a few tumbling and stunting classes at gyms over the years, but my parents never allowed me to join any teams even when I offered to pay for it. It’s a dream of mine to cheer in college or all star, but I know I’m no Worlds caliber athlete. Is there any possible chance I might possibly make a college team? Looking at USF or FIU. I’m 4’10 and under 80 lbs. Flexibility is not an issue, I have all the stretches from prior sports experience. Was an Olympic caliber skater but my heart wasn’t in it as the years progressed. However, I lack tumbling. I have a BWO, FWO, and BHS. They were all learned within a few weeks of tumbling classes so I would say I pick things up relatively fast? As far as stunting I have filled around with coaches before and have done full ups/downs and such (not generally in a one man) and definitely have a passion for flying. I’m willing to work my hardest but know a coach probably wouldn’t pick me over someone else. I’ve been invited to join teams on multiple occasions but parents always denied. I’m not associated with any gyms and some schools want letters from coaches. Could someone please chance me or give me options? I’m having major surgery in what seems to be tracking for sophomore year of college and due to the nature of the surgery cheer would be dangerous after lol since screws and such are involved. This is per my doctors. I’d love to live my dreams but don’t know where to start. Primarily more interested in USF but all star teams would be fun too! I totally understand that coaches understandably would not pick me over someone with fulls or such, but just looking to see options or possibilities. Are there any cheer gyms near USF teams with open teams as well? Ty!

I believe FIU competes in the intermediate division so that could very well be a possibility. I don't think any team that competes in Division I or IA would be likely to take someone with little to no sideline and/or competition experience and minimal tumbling but it's best to speak with the coach at each program you are interested in.

Without a doubt, there are plenty of non-competitive college programs that will take you.

If you want to go to a DI or competitive school, it may get a little tougher. However, you have a big advantage in your size. You can't teach tiny, and there are schools that will be willing to work with you because they need a small top girl. USF has a pretty strong program, so that may be a bit of a stretch (maybe not though), but I'm confident that there are plenty of other schools that would be glad to take a "risk" on you.

ETA: I cheered at a DI school that competed at UCA and cheered for a big time basketball program and I can assert that our top girls had much looser tumbling requirements than our mid-layers and bases.

Hi everyone,

I’m an incoming college freshman. Never cheered on a team a day in my life. I’ve taken a few tumbling and stunting classes at gyms over the years, but my parents never allowed me to join any teams even when I offered to pay for it. It’s a dream of mine to cheer in college or all star, but I know I’m no Worlds caliber athlete. Is there any possible chance I might possibly make a college team? Looking at USF or FIU. I’m 4’10 and under 80 lbs. Flexibility is not an issue, I have all the stretches from prior sports experience. Was an Olympic caliber skater but my heart wasn’t in it as the years progressed. However, I lack tumbling. I have a BWO, FWO, and BHS. They were all learned within a few weeks of tumbling classes so I would say I pick things up relatively fast? As far as stunting I have filled around with coaches before and have done full ups/downs and such (not generally in a one man) and definitely have a passion for flying. I’m willing to work my hardest but know a coach probably wouldn’t pick me over someone else. I’ve been invited to join teams on multiple occasions but parents always denied. I’m not associated with any gyms and some schools want letters from coaches. Could someone please chance me or give me options? I’m having major surgery in what seems to be tracking for sophomore year of college and due to the nature of the surgery cheer would be dangerous after lol since screws and such are involved. This is per my doctors. I’d love to live my dreams but don’t know where to start. Primarily more interested in USF but all star teams would be fun too! I totally understand that coaches understandably would not pick me over someone with fulls or such, but just looking to see options or possibilities. Are there any cheer gyms near USF teams with open teams as well? Ty!

The FIU coach is also a coach at Top Gun Miami. He use to post on the boards but I haven't seen him post in awhile. Maybe you can reach out to him for some information.

Back