College College

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 29, 2011
I'm waiting on my admissions decision from UMD and decided to look at the cheerleading program. I've done this previously and was given info I already knew: you need a full to make the team. However this time, I was given a breakdown for what skills are needed for each team.

Standing tuck on the gym floor for boys basketball and football

Back handspring for women's basketball and other sports

Fulls for comp.

Is this a new thing, and is this to say non level 5 athletes have the chance to cheer sideline? If so I'm really excited that I do have a chance of cheering at the university.

I'll preface this post by saying I'm not involved with the UMD program at all and so my observations don't necessarily reflect their beliefs. I do organize the college clinic at our gym every year and Jaime has come into the gym to speak to our athletes several times. I know that she looks for the whole package and football cheer is very selective.

We've sent numerous athletes on to UMD and several of them are currently cheering. Only one of our girls made football without a full, but she was throwing solid standing tucks and layouts on any surface. That same girl also made comp. as an alternate. One of our other athletes made women's basketball with a standing handspring and running tuck. I haven't heard of anyone recently making football cheer without a solid standing tuck, but I'm no expert on their roster.

Definitely reach out to Jaime with any questions. She's really nice and very approachable. I can put you in touch with a few of the cheerleaders there if you have questions. Just PM me for info.

I'll preface this post by saying I'm not involved with the UMD program at all and so my observations don't necessarily reflect their beliefs. I do organize the college clinic at our gym every year and Jaime has come into the gym to speak to our athletes several times. I know that she looks for the whole package and football cheer is very selective.

We've sent numerous athletes on to UMD and several of them are currently cheering. Only one of our girls made football without a full, but she was throwing solid standing tucks and layouts on any surface. That same girl also made comp. as an alternate. One of our other athletes made women's basketball with a standing handspring and running tuck. I haven't heard of anyone recently making football cheer without a solid standing tuck, but I'm no expert on their roster.

Definitely reach out to Jaime with any questions. She's really nice and very approachable. I can put you in touch with a few of the cheerleaders there if you have questions. Just PM me for info.

This news makes me really excited. I hear back next week, so I want to make sure I'm in before reaching out.

I have a standing tuck in the dead floor, and never attempted on the court, but I have in the turf. My running tumbling on dead floor is to layout, and I've done it a few times on the court. My goal if I get in and make it in the program is to get on a team and work up to the male bball team

I'll preface this as a general comment and leave a disclaimer that I am not intimately familiar with UMD at all.

My biggest advice (generally) is to assume higher when you read skill requirements for "big name" programs.

Ex: If it says minimum tuck, you really need a layout. If it says BHS, I'd suggest having a tuck.

If you find yourself only having the true minimum, you'd better really bring the fierce in other areas to max out (i.e stunting.)

I would also keep working on your dead floor skills! You'd be surprised at how many kids wait until late in the spring and then panic because they've only ever tumbled on spring floor so the fact that you are up to a layout on court is great!

Good luck!

I'll preface this as a general comment and leave a disclaimer that I am not intimately familiar with UMD at all.

My biggest advice (generally) is to assume higher when you read skill requirements for "big name" programs.

Ex: If it says minimum tuck, you really need a layout. If it says BHS, I'd suggest having a tuck.

If you find yourself only having the true minimum, you'd better really bring the fierce in other areas to max out (i.e stunting.)

I would also keep working on your dead floor skills! You'd be surprised at how many kids wait until late in the spring and then panic because they've only ever tumbled on spring floor so the fact that you are up to a layout on court is great!

Good luck!

Thank you! My high school's bball program is one of the top teams in VA so I got a lot of practice on hardwood tumbling and crowd leading as we went to states two times in a row. I hope these help me out.

I'm a main base at an advance level (switch ups and full ups) and I've flew a few times but not at an elite level and my body type is not one of the average base, I've just had very tiny flyers. So stunting is really my concern.

Back