High School Color Guard Rivalry.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

our "hate" is dance team and I really like our dance team coach, she knows what she is doing and has integrated at a college level.. so we are trying to "integrate", however, my girls are going to FREAK when I tell them.. wish me luck.

Good Luck....

Thanks! The funnier thing is the moms were so excited about the integration, and then when I said we were meeting up w/ them for pizza and kick ball they were more excited until I said I was only doing Varsity Cheer , they freaked out b/c the JV girls (sophs) actually have friends on the dance team... I said.. 1: the older ones need to learn how to play nice and 2: 18 varsity cheerleaders and 14 dance team members seems like a nice gathering, add in another 2o cheerleaders and honestly, it will be hard to really integrate... plus dance team will be at varisty games!

Thanks! The funnier thing is the moms were so excited about the integration, and then when I said we were meeting up w/ them for pizza and kick ball they were more excited until I said I was only doing Varsity Cheer , they freaked out b/c the JV girls (sophs) actually have friends on the dance team... I said.. 1: the older ones need to learn how to play nice and 2: 18 varsity cheerleaders and 14 dance team members seems like a nice gathering, add in another 2o cheerleaders and honestly, it will be hard to really integrate... plus dance team will be at varisty games!
It makes sence, and your parents also need to keep in mind that this is an exercise to just get the girls together, I think once this is done things will fall into place. You do however, need to make sure it does not now cause a rift between Varsity and JV....

JV has a lot of provlidges, this won't hurt them, actually I think most will be thrilled that they don't have something else to go to :)

I was on color guard when I was in high school. There was no hate between us and the cheerleaders. In fact, there was an attempt my senior year at getting the guard and the cheerleaders to join up and do the half time dance routine together at homecoming. Unfortunately, the attempt fell through, but most of us were all for it! (I think it had something to do with conflicts among the cheer coaches and the band director, actually...) This was back in the 80's (gasp!), so dance teams weren't really around during high school in my area. We actually had two majorettes in our band, but they didn't associate with anyone. I don't really know why... Anyway...I can tell you that the hate thing must be pretty new. The stuff posted earlier in this thread is pretty vicious. I have to say I'm actually glad we didn't have the internet when I was in high school.

Hmm. There isn't really a rivalry between color guard and cheer at my school. In all honesty, nobody really respects the guard, even the band. It's kind of a joke. I know this because my sister is drum major for band, otherwise, I probably wouldn't... My school is so big that nobody pays that much attention to each other, band doesn't care about cheer, cheer doesn't care about band, we all just kind of do our own thing and leave each other alone.
There may be a little rivalry between us and the dance team... I guess some of us don't get along... There was drama last year but i didn't cheer last year so idk why!

I'm in middle school but my friend said that the tallenetes and cheerleaders have a big rivalry! Color Gaurd not so much! Lol

I know when I was in school everyone made fun of the color guard, even the math team... They preformed with the band. The rivalry was always between Cheer and Poms but eventually that just fizzled away when a bunch of girls did both teams.

Our school doesn't have a rivalry between cheer and the majorettes or cheer and flagline (like guard), because quite a few of our girls (including me a few years ago) do majorette and then cheer basketball season. Our rivalry is between the majorette and flagline because quite a few of the girls try out for majorette and don't make it so they try out for flagline instead. Our band director has been known to favor the majorettes ( they get 2 features, the flagline gets 1) and so there's drama every year.

my schools color guard hates us, because the students constantly tell them that they aren't as cool as the cheerleaders. Then they start to mimic us at games so a few senior cheerleaders exchange a few words, this goes on all season long. Basically our color guard thinks they are the best thing since sliced bread, but they really aren't all that good, and is filled with girls who don't feel confident enough to wear a cheerleading uniform, and never stop making comments about the cheerleaders, calling us dumb when in fact we all have high GPAs commonly higher than the girls on color guard

the guard at my school, HATES cheerleading. i get along with the guard because i'm also in marching band. but like, one day, one of the guard members said "colorguard is a lot like cheerleading. but instead of people, we throw other things in the air so it's harder because we can tell them how to be controlled" and i responded with "i'd love to see you throw a girl just as heavy as you, 20 feet in the air. flags don't weight that much. if you drop your object, it doesn't die." granted, i could have been less rude, he didn't need to say something like that.

Fun fact: flag throwing goes back to the medieval days.

When I was in Italy, they would still have the flag throwers come out for festivals and they would be dressed in jester-like clothing.

I always felt like the color guard is more associated with the dance team than the cheerleaders (both are closely related to the band)...though dancers tend to show more skin...

LSU color guard
color_guard_20042005.png

LSU Dance team
LSU_lg.jpg

Similar uniforms and all!

LSU color guard
color_guard_20042005.png

LSU Dance team
LSU_lg.jpg
Actually, the second picture is the "Golden Girls," not the dance team. They're a "danceline" according to their website. I'm not really sure what that is, but they perform with the school's band. The Tiger Girls are LSU's dance team.

Our colorguard doesn't hate us, but they definitely think they are the bomb. Along with our percussion -__- it's so annoying they think those are harder and more of a sport than cheerleading. But, I am friends with a few of them. Being in band and doing the field show with them in my cheer uniform, they have given me more respect throughout the years, and since our team was at our high point this year, a lot of the school, especially them, have been respecting us more for the athleticism we have. Still a lot of mean people still.

Back