All-Star Crazy Bad Sportsmanship/cheating. Need Some Help With This.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
Alright this requires some back-story. Sorry about the length but when I heard about this I found it to be really disturbing and since it involves me I'm not just going to let it rest. I hardly see the need to keep programs anonymous after what's gone one but for now I'll do it anyway.

My first year cheering I was on an Open 6 team at "Gym A." Near the end of that first season a few coaches announced that they were starting their own gym - "Gym B." I finished the season with Gym A and then decided to join Gym B the following season which is where I've been ever since (4 seasons total). Since joining Gym B I slowly became more involved in the sport and with the gym - started coaching the end of 08-09 season, started choreographing 09-10 season, and eventually became program director for the 10-11 season. During Xmas break this year me and Gym B decided to "go our separate ways," and even though it was sudden and unexpected, I left on good terms with everyone. I offered to still be an alternate for their IOC5 team that I was on before I left but was never taken up on the offer (which wasn't a big deal but it will be relevant later)

Side note before I start the next part - when members of Gym A left and started Gym B there was originally a ton of drama/hurt feelings/grudges which eventually subsided for the most part but there always remained some tension and of course a big rivalry between the two gyms, especially with the IOC5 teams from each gym.

A few months ago I got a call from a friend at Gym A. He said they had two spots to fill on the IOC5 team for worlds because there were 2 crossovers that would be competing on the senior5 team for worlds. He said he felt crazy for even calling because he knew I was loyal to Gym B but asked if I would be interested in filling one of the spots on their IOC5 team. I told him it wasn't out of the question, I would think about it and get back to him. As a courtesy I called the owner (my old boss) of Gym B to tell him what was asked of me. I told him I was considering it because I still wanted to be able to compete this season and because he didn't have room for me on his team but I wanted to talk to him about it first because I didn't want anyone to think I was going behind anyone's back or "switching sides" or any of that stupid crap that I know I would have to hear. Basically I was trying to avoid all drama. He said he had no problem with it but he agreed that some of the other coaches/athletes/parents might be rubbed the wrong way, and he would talk to the rest of the admin staff and let me know. He got back to me and said that now they would like to have me as an alternate for their next comp so if they got a bid I would be able to compete with them at Worlds. This was irritating because I was never taken up on that offer in the first place, it wasn't until I was asked by Gym A to compete with them that Gym B took an interest in having me on the team again. It almost seemed like the only reason they asked me was to keep me from going to compete with Gym A.

Anyway long story short (kinda) after Gym B didn't get a bid they decided to disband the IOC5 team for the rest of the season since they weren't going to Worlds, and use the age-eligible members on other teams at the gym. Because of this I didn't feel bad about telling Gym A that I would compete with them. So that's been the plan. Anyway, I just got a text from a family at Gym B that I'm very close with informing me that word on the street is that the new program director (of gym B) talked to old friends at another gym and had them list me as an alternate...with me on the alternate list they got a bid to worlds, and now I'm on their worlds roster...

...I've also heard thru the grapevine that there has been "someone" contacting Gym A telling them that I was trying to sabotage gym A's IOC5 team, that I was on multiple rosters, and that if I competed with Gym A they would turn them in...

Seriously? I understand rivalry, but going THAT far so that I wouldn't compete on another team? RIDICULOUS.

Most of this is just B.S. drama but what concerns me is the possibility of being on a two different team's Worlds rosters - one of which was without my knowledge or consent - because isn't that totally against the rules? and if so, is there anything I can do about it? Is there any way to find out if I'm in fact on a roster for a team I never had any part in?

Help.

I feel by the actions of gym b that their loyalty is no longer with you. There backstabbing you and trying to screw over gym A. So I would say screw gym B and compete with gym A.

This is times when i hate people and the lack of morals and ethics

I'm sure there is probably a number you can call to find out if you are in fact on another teams roster. Try contacting the USASF or the company in which they earned a bid. If you've never been a member of that gym then they can't claim you as an alternate correct? I'm sure that there is something that could be done to correct this if it happened. Clearly Gym B has had loyalty issues from the start breaking off of a gym and taking athletes with them so it shouldn't be too big of a shock they would have no problem turning on you or anyone else as well. I always hate when a gym or coach tries to break off and recruit I just feel it speaks poorly of their character and intent and clearly all this is the result. Obviously the whole situation sucks, but it's ridiculous if a 3rd gym actually agreed to put you on their roster to spite you and Gym A, especially when they aren't involved. If so, I truly believe karma's a you know what and they'll get what's coming. People that run shady businesses don't run them for long. Good luck- I hope it works out for you.

Anyway long story short (kinda) after Gym B didn't get a bid they decided to disband the IOC5 team for the rest of the season since they weren't going to Worlds, and use the age-eligible members on other teams at the gym. Because of this I didn't feel bad about telling Gym A that I would compete with them. So that's been the plan. Anyway, I just got a text from a family at Gym B that I'm very close with informing me that word on the street is that the new program director (of gym B) talked to old friends at another gym and had them list me as an alternate...with me on the alternate list they got a bid to worlds, and now I'm on their worlds roster...

...I've also heard thru the grapevine that there has been "someone" contacting Gym A telling them that I was trying to sabotage gym A's IOC5 team, that I was on multiple rosters, and that if I competed with Gym A they would turn them in...

Seriously? I understand rivalry, but going THAT far so that I wouldn't compete on another team? RIDICULOUS.

Most of this is just B.S. drama but what concerns me is the possibility of being on a two different team's Worlds rosters - one of which was without my knowledge or consent - because isn't that totally against the rules? and if so, is there anything I can do about it? Is there any way to find out if I'm in fact on a roster for a team I never had any part in?

Help.

So to be clear, Gym C claimed you on your roster and you have nothing to do with Gym C?

As I understand the rules, it only matters if you actually competed at a bid event and were on that actual roster. If a gym lists you as an alternate at that bid event, I don't think you have any obligation but check with the USASF rep in your area. Good luck!

Since it was a family that told you about the drama, it might just be parent gossip that's going around. I've heard stories that are so ridiculous, I bring them up to the owner and sure enough, it's just gossip. You need to talk to both owners and tell them what you've heard. It sounds like you've had good relationships with both and you don't want to ruin that based on rumors. It may have started from someone who's upset that you're going to Worlds and they're not, then the story just took on a life of itself. It means nothing if it's actually true that yet another gym has your name on their roster.

So to be clear, Gym C claimed you on your roster and you have nothing to do with Gym C?

Yes, that's what I've been told. Of course I still don't know if it's a bluff just to keep me from competing with anyone or if it's actually true

Since it was a family that told you about the drama, it might just be parent gossip that's going around. I've heard stories that are so ridiculous, I bring them up to the owner and sure enough, it's just gossip. You need to talk to both owners and tell them what you've heard. It sounds like you've had good relationships with both and you don't want to ruin that based on rumors. It may have started from someone who's upset that you're going to Worlds and they're not, then the story just took on a life of itself. It means nothing if it's actually true that yet another gym has your name on their roster.

That was my first thought...just rumors. The first I heard about it was from one of the owners of Gym A...she texted me saying "i heard this and this and this..." and I dismissed them as rumors and assured her I didn't agree to be an alternate for another team nor had I even been talking to any other programs and didn't think twice about it. It wasn't until I got the full story from that family that I realized what I was going on. As former head coach/director I have definitely witnessed and dealt with my fair share of parent drama but the mom that I heard this from has ALWAYS made it a point to stay out of all that mess. The only reason she bothers to talk about the rumor mill or drama stories is if they involve me in a negative way or if she thinks they could be a real problem. She's always got my back 100% it's a shame she's one in a million.

That is really interesting. I know that you're not allowed to compete with one team at a usasf sanctioned event and then with a different team at worlds unless you have a waiver, but i'm not sure if that would count. I have an old coach who used to roster people that he hadn't even asked yet. He just listed them so once we got a bid we could ask them to join. Might be the same situation. Either way, I don't think that would disqualify you from competing with either Gym. Just don't be on the official worlds roster for both.

Being listed with Gym C really doesn't have any impact on you since you didn't compete for them. However, since you competed (as I understand it) with Gym A this year, that's where the real issue lies. You're choice is to either compete for Gym A at worlds or you have to get a waiver from Gym A to compete for any other team at worlds.

@spazdev3
Wow...only in Arizona! You should move to Texas and join one of the amazing IOC teams here....not even half as much drama as the valley....

well because I was injured I never actually competed with the gym I was at before I left so I shouldn't need a waiver from them. And would it not be an issue to compete at Worlds with the Gym I was planning on competing with and also be listed on Gym C's Worlds roster?

Back