Daughter Stopped Connecting Multiple Bhs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 20, 2017
Has anyone else had this happen! My daughter will do a round off back handspring no problem , she will do standing single , step outs etc. but is all of a sudden pausing when going for the second back handspring ? She has had back handsprings since 5 .. I’m at a loss because if this were a true mental block I feel like she wouldn’t do any back handsprings and she connects out of the round off fine

Has anyone else had this happen! My daughter will do a round off back handspring no problem , she will do standing single , step outs etc. but is all of a sudden pausing when going for the second back handspring ? She has had back handsprings since 5 .. I’m at a loss because if this were a true mental block I feel like she wouldn’t do any back handsprings and she connects out of the round off fine

It can still be a "true" mental block with her able to throw skills... that doesn't mean that she stops tumbling completely. There could be a million reason why she is now pausing but the bid thing when dealing with tumbling fears/blocks/inhibitions is to work on the skill where she is comfortable and then doing high numbers to build back up her confidence and muscle memory. This could be with a spot, a coach just standing there, or on the trampoline.

Have you talked with her tumbling coach or team coach about this issue?

It can still be a "true" mental block with her able to throw skills... that doesn't mean that she stops tumbling completely. There could be a million reason why she is now pausing but the bid thing when dealing with tumbling fears/blocks/inhibitions is to work on the skill where she is comfortable and then doing high numbers to build back up her confidence and muscle memory. This could be with a spot, a coach just standing there, or on the trampoline.

Have you talked with her tumbling coach or team coach about this issue?
Yes her coach thinks she is stressed because she doesn’t want to her back tucks that she got a year ago but has done them on and off so her coach believes that she thinks she will have to the tucks which we all told her she doesn’t have to do , this is the 3rd time she does this over the last few years every time she gets stressed she stops throwing double back hand springs I just am at wits end

Yes her coach thinks she is stressed because she doesn’t want to her back tucks that she got a year ago but has done them on and off so her coach believes that she thinks she will have to the tucks which we all told her she doesn’t have to do , this is the 3rd time she does this over the last few years every time she gets stressed she stops throwing double back hand springs I just am at wits end

Is it possible that you are also stressing her out? I say this in the nicest way possible. I have seen quite a few athletes who feel too much pressure from coach and/or mom to be perfect or move up to the next level and it can be so detrimental to their growth as an athlete.

I would sit down and talk with your daughter to see if that is a real fear of hers (back tucks) or if she feels too much pressure and talk through it. Let her know that having great level 2 skills doesn't mean that she HAS to progress to the next level if she isn't ready or doesn't trust her skills/coach/etc. Find a way to make tumbling/cheer fun again... have her set goals or talk about what her dreams are for her cheerleading future. How can she get there and how can you support her?

Is it possible that you are also stressing her out? I say this in the nicest way possible. I have seen quite a few athletes who feel too much pressure from coach and/or mom to be perfect or move up to the next level and it can be so detrimental to their growth as an athlete.

Last edited:
My daughter did this for about three months. She's a super powerful tumbler who had always been fearless. She went flying into a tumbling pass and forgot what she was throwing and started to throw a ruck and then remembered it was supposed to be a bhs and she crashed hard. Scared the crap out of her and she wouldn't connect anything for months. She would do ro/bhs and ro/tuck but no combo. She also started doing her ro with her legs spread wide to slow herself down. It took a lot of work and patient coaches to get her back and she came. Ack even stronger. I actually like that she has a healthy bit of fear now, because I trust she won't do anything crazy.

Yes my daughter also did this. She had a small child run behind her while she was doing ROBHS’s and injured herself and when it was time to connect more than one she would always pause to look behind her for a little more than a year. So hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back