High School Different Team Reveals...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My high school was the freshman only on freshman squad, 10th grade only on JV, 11th can make either and 12th only varsity. To add to it though when we tried out in the spring you tried out for football, basketball or both and as an 11th grader you indicated if you were willing to be placed on JV if you didn't make varsity. Typically for football they took 10 ( I think, I never cheered football) and basketball was 8 so a junior could be varsity for football and JV for basketball.

I remember my 10th grade year going to camp and bonding with another school's 10th graders where one of the girls who was highly talented petitioned that because in every other sport you could be on varsity in 10th cheerleaders should be able to as well. She won and was the first in her grade placed on the varsity squad that year.

My HS is close to 15 years old now, but when I was there it was practically brand new and was build with a dance studio room, ballet bar, mirrors, and the whole nine yards. The idea was that the dancer's, like band, could use the room during an elective so they could practice during and after school.
I wish more schools allowed practice during the day.

We have about 80 people tryout for our collegiate team with a 2 day tryout process (also involves one on one interviews)

We usually end tryouts around 4pm and spend the entire evening choosing the team - so we usually sent out private emails at 11:00pm and asked that each person replies before the first team meeting so we know that everyone did receive it!

This allows us the opportunity where if say someone backs out, we can contact an alternate and bump them up too full team before the rest of the team knows whose full team and whose an alternate!

I send an email with their tryout numbers. I rarely make cuts but I did do alternates this year. I listed that in the email as well. I would love to do something more creative/fun but it never fails that girls are upset they made JV and not Varsity so I like to send the e-mail Friday night/Saturday morning so they have the weekend to celebrate or get over their disappointment.

One thing that strikes me about this topic is the difference between getting cut vs allstar where you may not get the team desired. One is just not matching expectations; the other is "now what do I do"

Big Time! We are trying to get our program established enough / supported by the Athletic Department to be able to first have a Spirit Squad + a Competitive Squad, and then later on a Spirit Squad, Competitive Squad A & A Competitive Squad B at a higher level.

I wish I could come up with a way to make it more exciting for those who do make a team but it is so hard when you are dealing with people who do not make a team at all. We do host a 'Rookie Night' a few weeks after try-outs where the whole team gets together for a super fun Barbeque!

We have about 80 people tryout for our collegiate team with a 2 day tryout process (also involves one on one interviews)

We usually end tryouts around 4pm and spend the entire evening choosing the team - so we usually sent out private emails at 11:00pm and asked that each person replies before the first team meeting so we know that everyone did receive it!

This allows us the opportunity where if say someone backs out, we can contact an alternate and bump them up too full team before the rest of the team knows whose full team and whose an alternate!
I love this idea!

I wish I could come up with a way to make it more exciting for those who do make a team but it is so hard when you are dealing with people who do not make a team at all. We do host a 'Rookie Night' a few weeks after try-outs where the whole team gets together for a super fun Barbeque!

We host a JV party, a Varsity party and a full team party so they invidivdual squads can bond but the whole program can be together too

CP's team they just call each girl into the office at the end of the last day and let them know if they're on JV or Varsity. Usually people don't get cut.

I'm hoping they do something fun for the girls. They announced teams the Friday afternoon before spring break.
When I was in HS we did the whole kidnapping thing but my HS days were more like Dazed & Confused than what kids do now. I don't think administration would appreciate the freshman having pacifiers....

My high school did emails with the names on it. The cheer community at my high school was pretty close and small, so every year the amount of people who didn't make JV (10th graders) or Varsity (11th/12th) was never over like 8-10. They sent the email out the Friday before spring break so we had a very long time to get over it lol.
I believe now they post a list on the coaches door at the end of the day on Friday. Tryouts are this week!

Latest posts

Back