College Do Competitions Always Give 1st Place If There Is Only One Team?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 11, 2014
So a local college competed in a competition this past weekend and they did horribly they scored less than seventy points. Lucky for them they were the only ones in their division and still received a first place trophy and a banner! Do all competitions do this or do some actually have a minimum score that must be met? It just does not seem right for this to be happening especially when a team truly does not deserve it.

So a local college competed in a competition this past weekend and they did horribly they scored less than seventy points. Lucky for them they were the only ones in their division and still received a first place trophy and a banner! Do all competitions do this or do some actually have a minimum score that must be met? It just does not seem right for this to be happening especially when a team truly does not deserve it.
I'm pretty sure it's like that everywhere. It's just that you have to beat a score for a bid to anything. But you still get first in your division.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I have heard of some competitions in the past that have had a required score to get first. If you didn't get that score then you got 2nd even if you were the only team. Not sure what comps they were or even if they do it anymore.

I can see them not doing it because it might be embarrassing I guess for the team to basically get told they did bad even though they competed against no one. I've heard some will give them the trophy but it takes a certain number of points to get the banner.

I've never heard of a comp that did NOT give you a first if you were the only team.

Sort of like in pageants when someone will be like "Won my prelim and I'm now Miss ABC County!" while conveniently omitting that she was the only contestant in her age group!

Jam live doesn't. There's a minimum score you have to beat to get first (to be in the "leader lounge" so I'm assuming it applies if you're the only team). It's ridiculously low though.

I have heard of some competitions in the past that have had a required score to get first. If you didn't get that score then you got 2nd even if you were the only team. Not sure what comps they were or even if they do it anymore.

"Who was the first place team?"
"Non existent allstars"

I can see them not doing it because it might be embarrassing I guess for the team to basically get told they did bad even though they competed against no one. I've heard some will give them the trophy but it takes a certain number of points to get the banner.

What if there is more than one team and the whole division bombed? I guess the whole score thing would still apply

This used to happen frequently when my daughter was on a level 5 at smaller competitions. Is it fair to NOT give them the award because other programs don't send their teams to compete? Do you want the smaller venues/comps to quit trying to bring in the higher level teams because getting the award is automatic? We traveled over 9 hours to 1 competition to find out that our level 5s competed against no one. Do you know what our kids did? They made it a "mini competition" to see who could win best of level. Youth won! They were more excited that 1) they competed the first tic tocs ever for a Youth team and nailed 4/6 with the other 2 bobbling on day 1, 2) outscored Junior 5 overall (gym bragging rights), and 3) ended up with the level 5 grand champs (mainly because #1 occurred both days and sent the crowd into a tizzy).

So yes, if there is only one team, they should get 1st. They work hard for it. Why would you even consider denying them that?

I've never heard of a comp that did NOT give you a first if you were the only team.

Sort of like in pageants when someone will be like "Won my prelim and I'm now Miss ABC County!" while conveniently omitting that she was the only contestant in her age group!

I totally get what you mean about the pageant thing they did the same thing too leaving out that they were last place out of all the colleges there and only one team out of like 100 give or take scored lower than they did and it was a level 2 team. I guess a win is a win though even if it is a win against no one..

Pretty sure my team got 2nd place against nobody my first year cheering at a local little gymnastics gym. We were all so young that we thought they just forgot to announce the first place team. We were kinda scary bad...hahah. Usually that benchmark score is not very high so unless you are dangerously scary you can still win. My sophomore year we dropped 8 stunts and had several hands down in tumbling and still won jackets. Coach wouldn't let us wear them until we redeemed ourselves!

Back