All-Star Do You Think We Need Tighter Security At Cheerleading Competitions Because Of Recent Events

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I mean sure, if it makes people feel safer and it's not a bad policy in general...I just also don't think a cheer competition has much of a target appeal for the vast majority of mass shootings types that we experience in America (which more often differ in reasoning from the type of attack in Paris). I get the 'large crowd' aspect, but we're a pretty niche event that doesn't have much draw except for a personal vendetta situation.

It's a good precaution, but I don't think we'd be someone's first choice.

I mean sure, if it makes people feel safer and it's not a bad policy in general...I just also don't think a cheer competition has much of a target appeal for the vast majority of mass shootings types that we experience in America (which more often differ in reasoning from the type of attack in Paris). I get the 'large crowd' aspect, but we're a pretty niche event that doesn't have much draw except for a personal vendetta situation.

It's a good precaution, but I don't think we'd be someone's first choice.

TBH what is more American than cheerleading? If you wanted to him people in something in the middle of their ideals.... why not cheer?

A metal detector and bag check was how they stopped the guy with a bomb going into the French stadium. Seems like it would be prudent, no?
I complely agree, I guess metal detector was the wrong terminology lol but I also think airport security type stuff would be a little much for a smaller competition but places like worlds/nca Im all for it

A metal detector and bag check was how they stopped the guy with a bomb going into the French stadium. Seems like it would be prudent, no?

I've read a lot of conflicting information about that actually. There has been a persistent rumor that a security guard turned away one of the terrorists, but it's been denied multiple times (as well as several other rumors) by stadium officials. Apparently, they never even reached security check, but one or two of the attackers were seen at the ticket stands, and for some reason didn't go any further.

But I think you're right, cheer competitions involve a huge amount of people in the same place, and it's the type of activity that could very well be a target, for everything that it promotes (confidence, trust, teamwork, etc). Though it's not exactly well known outside of the US. And aside for the drama seeking articles that were released lately, there's really not much about it in the media and outside of the cheer world, it's pretty unlikely to find out about it randomly and realize how big it truely is.

About bag checks, I think it can be somewhat dissuasive but it's not very efficient. There are bag checks everywhere now in my city and with the amount of people they have to deal with, they only have a couple seconds to glance at the inside of your bag with a flashlight and then say "Thank you, have a good day". I sometimes have a big bag filled with a ridiculous amount of stuff (involving cissors, and other sharp objects) when I come home from work and all they see is the top of my binders and folders.
It does make me feel a bit safer, but to be honest, part of me thinks it's just an impression.

I've read a lot of conflicting information about that actually. There has been a persistent rumor that a security guard turned away one of the terrorists, but it's been denied multiple times (as well as several other rumors) by stadium officials. Apparently, they never even reached security check, but one or two of the attackers were seen at the ticket stands, and for some reason didn't go any further.

But I think you're right, cheer competitions involve a huge amount of people in the same place, and it's the type of activity that could very well be a target, for everything that it promotes (confidence, trust, teamwork, etc). Though it's not exactly well known outside of the US. And aside for the drama seeking articles that were released lately, there's really not much about it in the media and outside of the cheer world, it's pretty unlikely to find out about it randomly and realize how big it truely is.

About bag checks, I think it can be somewhat dissuasive but it's not very efficient. There are bag checks everywhere now in my city and with the amount of people they have to deal with, they only have a couple seconds to glance at the inside of your bag with a flashlight and then say "Thank you, have a good day". I sometimes have a big bag filled with a ridiculous amount of stuff (involving cissors, and other sharp objects) when I come home from work and all they see is the top of my binders and folders.
It does make me feel a bit safer, but to be honest, part of me thinks it's just an impression.

There were two bombs at the stadium, but stopped before getting inside. I don't think the plan was ever to blow up the bombs outside a stadium to scare all the thousands of people inside.

Paris Shows Stadium Security Is a Necessary Hassle - Bloomberg View

I also think that the event staffers need to really stop allowing people to crowd aisles, stand on chairs, etc.

Think of the most crowded arena at NCA and how crazy it is when the big deal Worlds teams are performing.

Now think of someone busting in with an automatic weapon.

How would anyone get out?

I also think that the event staffers need to really stop allowing people to crowd aisles, stand on chairs, etc.

Think of the most crowded arena at NCA and how crazy it is when the big deal Worlds teams are performing.

Now think of someone busting in with an automatic weapon.

How would anyone get out?

Ticketed seating at NCA would be a good idea, with parents/family getting dibs. That would solve a lot of problems.

Trying to organize my thoughts, so bear with me.

I don't think it is necessary. I feel like, in most cases, security checks are there to give people the impression of safety without making much of a difference at all. Especially at events that are not regular occurrences (even NFL games, in my experience), the people running security tend to be temp employees or inexperienced at the very least. I see this every time I work at a game...the impression of increased security and then barely a glance at my bag. One example...I was tired of the long line to get my clear bag glanced at, so I started bringing just a wallet. Then security expected me to get in the bag check line and open my wallet for them to look inside. I started carrying my bag again and never had to open my wallet again. They never look inside ANY containers that are inside your clear bag. Sure, they have metal detectors, but often they don't seem to even work (recent events have had those upgraded from hand-held machines and they standing metal detectors seem better). Anyway, I feel like terrorists are intelligent enough that they can get around security checks. If only to do their planned act inside the huge group of people created by the security check itself.

I've felt the same at high school football games. Yes, they thoroughly search my bag...yet the field is circled by a chain link fence. The bag check does nothing to improve safety there. It wouldn't take much to get around it.

There were two bombs at the stadium, but stopped before getting inside. I don't think the plan was ever to blow up the bombs outside a stadium to scare all the thousands of people inside.

Paris Shows Stadium Security Is a Necessary Hassle - Bloomberg View

There were three. Luckily, all detonated outside. Yes it's pretty clear they intended for at least two of them to blow up inside and perhaps one of them outside, by the subway station during the ensuing crowd panic. All I was saying is that official statements have disputed the claims that about security checks stopping the terrorists. It was a rumor on twitter, then internet articles and newspapers spread it even more, but it apparently wasn't the case.

VIDEO. Au Stade de France, comment le pire a été évité
In the video, the stadium security manager explains that the terrorists were not turned away at security check. However, an employee from the ticket stands recognized one of the photos from after the attacks. They don't explain what happened, but apparently, that's where he was stopped somehow (weird, but...). So far, I haven't found anything really reliable about why they didn't manage to go in.

I am not opposed to security checks. Does anyone know the concealed carry laws at sporting events concerning law enforcement and military spectators? I know some states allow it and others don't but, if it is allowed and our law enforcement and military parents are willing to carry, I think they'd be a great asset to our security, as well. On a stranger note, our neighbor purchased small fire extinguishers for large public events because, they learned fire extinguishers will temporarily blind and prevent a person from being able to breathe from the CO2.....it's incredibly disturbing we have to think this way. :(

One thing that drives me insane about bag checks is when they are done under the guise of security and then my granola bars are confiscated. I tend to avoid places that use bag checks to force me to buy their food inside. (At a minor league baseball bag check I actually had a single granola bar confiscated in a "security" check)

TBH what is more American than cheerleading? If you wanted to him people in something in the middle of their ideals.... why not cheer?
True- but if you look at the motives for the majority of the shootings that happen in American, they're usually in response to a specific event, place, or emotional situation.

Places of work, school, residence of someone they're upset with, causes like the capitalist society we live in, RACISM, obsessive Christian ideology and fear rhetoric. Those are most common, because we have the deepest everyday ties to those things. I'm not saying it's not POSSIBLE, I just think highly unlikely. If they WOULD attack a sporting event, it'd be something big and televised live like the NFL. Immediate impact from fans both there AND home. Should we do scans? Sure. I suppose it wouldn't hurt. I just think it'll have a negligible impact. I don't think we have the international presence to be a cause for outside concern for something like NCA. If anything cheer got attacked, personally I think it's much more likely to be a gym.

At the Cheersport local comp in Philadelphia they check your bags for food and water bottle smuggling. I would have no problem with bags being checked for weapons and going through a metal detectors for safety.

Back