All-Star Eliminate World Bids For 2020-2021?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Anyone who is NOT into reading a whole dissertation, the cliffnotes:

CheerUpdates suggests just not having bids for Worlds 2021 because the events keep getting cancelled/changed and bid-chasing is asking people to risk $ on nonrefundable airfare & their health (and every gym owner has different state-level COVID mandates.)

Under this proposal, no bids and I assume you just register like any other comp.

Anyone who is NOT into reading a whole dissertation, the cliffnotes:

CheerUpdates suggests just not having bids for Worlds 2021 because the events keep getting cancelled/changed and bid-chasing is asking people to risk $ on nonrefundable airfare & their health (and every gym owner has different state-level COVID mandates.)

Under this proposal, no bids and I assume you just register like any other comp.

You summed it up

I'm fine with eliminating At-Large bids this season, as most teams who want one tend to get one eventually. That would ease the pressure/stress on teams from states that are under travel restrictions, etc. And it's not like it would add a lot more, if any, teams to Worlds, because again, in a normal season, just about every Level 6 team that exists bid chases enough to find a bid.

They should keep Paid bids this season though. These virtual competitions are expensive considering you don't step foot out of your gym, and the money has to go somewhere. Keep the Paid bids.

Last edited:
Ias most teams who want one tend to get one eventually. TAnd it's not like it would add a lot more, if any, teams to Worlds, because again, in a normal season, just about every Level 6 team that exists bid chases enough to find a bid.

They should keep Paid bids this season though. These virtual competitions are expensive considering you don't step foot out of your gym and the money has to go somewhere. Keep the Paid bids.

Yep, I have seen a team score in the 70s receive an at large bid at the end of the season.

I'm fine with eliminating At-Large bids this season, as most teams who want one tend to get one eventually. That would ease the pressure/stress on teams from states that are under travel restrictions, etc. And it's not like it would add a lot more, if any, teams to Worlds, because again, in a normal season, just about every Level 6 team that exists bid chases enough to find a bid.

They should keep Paid bids this season though. These virtual competitions are expensive considering you don't step foot out of your gym, and the money has to go somewhere. Keep the Paid bids.
I fully agree and for years I have thought at large bids should be eliminated. There hasn't been a need for at large bids for at least the past 5 years. After NCA most competitions can't even hand out the ones that are available. Let teams plan ahead and fundraise all season knowing they are going to worlds.

I'm all for it. These are unprecedented times and I don't want any athlete, parent or gym to feel pressured to hide COVID symptoms or a positive COVID test to "soldier on." If eliminating Worlds bids will make people feel more comfortable bowing out of competitions or staying virtual, I'm 100% on board.

Shouldn't they do the opposite by limiting the number of bids to give out? More people = More exposure (if the virus is still a thing by then)

I agree with eliminating bids, but I am also all for a hybrid event if it's financially feasible. Let those that are willing to travel attend and allow those that can't, the chance to send in a video that can be shown during the divisions performance. Someone in another thread mentioned there are probably enough Varsity reps that could serve as proctors at the gym's expense to give people the confidence the videos are one time performances.

In a post COVID world, I would like to see this be a thing. Maybe they could allow everyone to register for Worlds and Summit(s) so families can plan ahead financially. Then, if you attend the big competitions like NCA, UCA, and Cheersport and get a certain ranking at each, you get points. If you get a set amount of points, you can skip the preliminary round and make it to semifinals automatically. You can also add in the regional events they have now too. You could also earn points by attending and scoring well at the various other local competitions. Perhaps if you really do well at all the big competitions, local competitions, and regional competitions, you could automatically make it to finals. I duno. But this idea could work, and it could be profitable. Also, families would be better able to plan things out.

In a post COVID world, I would like to see this be a thing. Maybe they could allow everyone to register for Worlds and Summit(s) so families can plan ahead financially. Then, if you attend the big competitions like NCA, UCA, and Cheersport and get a certain ranking at each, you get points. If you get a set amount of points, you can skip the preliminary round and make it to semifinals automatically. You can also add in the regional events they have now too. You could also earn points by attending and scoring well at the various other local competitions. Perhaps if you really do well at all the big competitions, local competitions, and regional competitions, you could automatically make it to finals. I duno. But this idea could work, and it could be profitable. Also, families would be better able to plan things out.
Wouldn’t it be great if we had an organized system like that?

Back