All-Star Eliminate World Bids For 2020-2021?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In a post COVID world, I would like to see this be a thing. Maybe they could allow everyone to register for Worlds and Summit(s) so families can plan ahead financially. Then, if you attend the big competitions like NCA, UCA, and Cheersport and get a certain ranking at each, you get points. If you get a set amount of points, you can skip the preliminary round and make it to semifinals automatically. You can also add in the regional events they have now too. You could also earn points by attending and scoring well at the various other local competitions. Perhaps if you really do well at all the big competitions, local competitions, and regional competitions, you could automatically make it to finals. I duno. But this idea could work, and it could be profitable. Also, families would be better able to plan things out.
Overall this concept this would be great and could likely be done for regional competitions, but no on the points thing for specific competitions. No offense to the teams that are always in line for the "Triple Crown", but it's a whole lot easier and less expensive for teams from Georgia, Florida and even the Carolinas to participate than it is for teams in New England and the West Coast. It doesn't mean the teams that win are better by any stretch - it just means it's far more convenient and far less expensive. Teams that go to all three that are outside that area need to miss 6-12 days of school just for those competitions alone and fly 3 times in a 4 week span (during the worst weather period for flight cancellations). We did all three once and it was exhausting and cost roughly $4k for travel alone and that was with a free hotel for UCA. Until the industry has an "NCA-like" competition in every region, there is really no way to make the point system equitable.

Overall this concept this would be great and could likely be done for regional competitions, but no on the points thing for specific competitions. No offense to the teams that are always in line for the "Triple Crown", but it's a whole lot easier and less expensive for teams from Georgia, Florida and even the Carolinas to participate than it is for teams in New England and the West Coast. It doesn't mean the teams that win are better by any stretch - it just means it's far more convenient and far less expensive. Teams that go to all three that are outside that area need to miss 6-12 days of school just for those competitions alone and fly 3 times in a 4 week span (during the worst weather period for flight cancellations). We did all three once and it was exhausting and cost roughly $4k for travel alone and that was with a free hotel for UCA. Until the industry has an "NCA-like" competition in every region, there is really no way to make the point system equitable.

Agreed.

There are definitely certain comp wins that hold more weight in my eyes because the competition at the comp includes a true representation of your competition across the division (e.g. all or most of the heavy-hitters in your division from a variety of regions are present.)

Example: Majors wins when several of the usual top competitors aren't invited or were invited but couldn't make the trip.

Or when Cheersport was huge enough for several division splits - winning Cheersport when your top competitors were all in division B or C and you're in A.

We're in California and I'm not sure if there will be any competition here this season, even in neighboring states. Varsity seems to be quietly dropping comps off of their schedule. Given that there seems to be more worlds bid than teams, dropping the bids makes sense this year.

In a post COVID world, I would like to see this be a thing. Maybe they could allow everyone to register for Worlds and Summit(s) so families can plan ahead financially. Then, if you attend the big competitions like NCA, UCA, and Cheersport and get a certain ranking at each, you get points. If you get a set amount of points, you can skip the preliminary round and make it to semifinals automatically. You can also add in the regional events they have now too. You could also earn points by attending and scoring well at the various other local competitions. Perhaps if you really do well at all the big competitions, local competitions, and regional competitions, you could automatically make it to finals. I duno. But this idea could work, and it could be profitable. Also, families would be better able to plan things out.
I like the idea, but i feel MANY gyms would protest uca being apart of it, a lot of teams dont want to be forced to go to orlando twice. Its EXPENSIVE, and quite unfair to any team on the western side of the US. Unless they offered a second UCA closer to that region. And honestly you can probably lump cheersport in there as well. So many great teams dont go to uca and cheersport, i dont like the idea of penalizing teams who cant constantly travel to the east coast.

While our gyms lean towards the competitive side, that is not the mentality of every gym. (Nor should it have to be.)

I do agree with that. Our previous gym was not very competitive- more social and less pressure (and a much lower price point) And we went to appropriate comps for our skill level- rarely any varsity comps.
Personally I wouldn’t want attend worlds if we weren’t competitive- honestly I just wouldn’t want to pay for it- lol!

Back