Favoring One Ankle

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 26, 2012
Hey everybody,

I just started cheerleading about a month ago. I've landed a roundoff backhandspring backtuck and was moving on to a layout when I started having problems. I hurt my ankle during the football and soccer season, it never really bothers me but all the coaches are telling me I end up backhandspringing/tucking off nearly one foot, which results in a major tilt and causes everything to become very crooked. Its a chronic ankle spraign and it never really gets bretter, but it never hurts much either. So I guess my question is, how can I stop tilting and swaying in my tumbling, thanks.

I actually had a similar problem. I was doing fulls and landed wrong and injured my left knee. I've been out for 2 months so far. When I went to the Physical Therapist they told me that my hips were slightly crooked, which caused me to put more weight on my left leg (thus resulted in me injuring that knee). To correct this, they told me to tape my RIGHT foot everyday with regular ol' athletic tape. This trains your hips with every step you take so they become 'un-crooked' and maintain even weight when tumbling.
I'm no doctor, but go to a Physical Therapist and see what they say first, then bring up the taping of the opposite leg and see what they recommend.

Back