All-Star Flexibility For Fliers And Jump Strength

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 11, 2011
Hey all, so I help to coach my high school's varsity team (I know this is all-star fourms but there seem to be more people here than over at the high school one) and I've run into a few little problems with their flexibility. First off, bow and arrows. One girl can do a bow and arrow very well but she's naturally flexible. As for the other girls, they can sit in full splits and pull beautiful stretches, but cannot seem to get it to the bow. Now, even as a boy I can sit full split, face to my knee and pull a stretch, but I cant get a bow and arrow myself. So what do you do beyond normal splits to get these?
Same for scorps. The girls can all pull scorps, but they all pull differently, some grab their toe from the side with a twisted hand hand pull it over their heads, and some grab angle and pull over their heads and grab with their other hand. I need these to be uniform (by next year so there is time). I'd prefer them grabbing their ankle, like a scale, and reach back behind their head with their other hand. Any stretches for that specifically?
With one flyer, she used to be very flexible and had a beautiful heel stretch.. I've since think she has done damage to her hamstring muscles because it now causes her intense pain to do a stretch or even stretch on the ground. I've tried having her stretch very slowly and with minimal discomfort, but it seems to not be getting better (I'm talking weeks of it being in pain). It's so bad she doesn't wanna fly next year. Any tips on this?

Finally, yeah sorry this is a lot haha, what are some exercises for increasing the height of the legs in a toe touch besides stretching. I cant even do a middle split yet I have a slightly hyper extended jump so I know it's very much muscle related. However, I'm a strong tumbler and a boy so for me it's not an issue. For the girls however I need some drills. Also, I wouldn't mind making my toe touch even more beast than it is now ;)

So all those questions are out there, can anybody help me a bit? Thanks!! =)

Hey all, so I help to coach my high school's varsity team (I know this is all-star fourms but there seem to be more people here than over at the high school one) and I've run into a few little problems with their flexibility. First off, bow and arrows. One girl can do a bow and arrow very well but she's naturally flexible. As for the other girls, they can sit in full splits and pull beautiful stretches, but cannot seem to get it to the bow. Now, even as a boy I can sit full split, face to my knee and pull a stretch, but I cant get a bow and arrow myself. So what do you do beyond normal splits to get these?
Same for scorps. The girls can all pull scorps, but they all pull differently, some grab their toe from the side with a twisted hand hand pull it over their heads, and some grab angle and pull over their heads and grab with their other hand. I need these to be uniform (by next year so there is time). I'd prefer them grabbing their ankle, like a scale, and reach back behind their head with their other hand. Any stretches for that specifically?
With one flyer, she used to be very flexible and had a beautiful heel stretch.. I've since think she has done damage to her hamstring muscles because it now causes her intense pain to do a stretch or even stretch on the ground. I've tried having her stretch very slowly and with minimal discomfort, but it seems to not be getting better (I'm talking weeks of it being in pain). It's so bad she doesn't wanna fly next year. Any tips on this?

Finally, yeah sorry this is a lot haha, what are some exercises for increasing the height of the legs in a toe touch besides stretching. I cant even do a middle split yet I have a slightly hyper extended jump so I know it's very much muscle related. However, I'm a strong tumbler and a boy so for me it's not an issue. For the girls however I need some drills. Also, I wouldn't mind making my toe touch even more beast than it is now ;)

So all those questions are out there, can anybody help me a bit? Thanks!! =)

A middle split is not required to have really hyper extended jumps. I barely have my right split let alone my middle. When I do toe touches I use my abs and my hip flexers. So my advice to you would be to stretch your lower back because it needs to be able to rotate underneath you. Another great exercise would be to sit on the ground in a straddle and just do toe touches. Lift your legs as if you were really doing a toe touch. You will start to feel your abs burn and thats what you want. Doing leg lefts also helps. You want to sit in your jumps or for lack of a better example show the audience your butt.

Back