All-Star Floating Scores??

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just curious what you mean by "luck factor"? I've never thought of hitting two days in a row as lucky - it's that I gave and trained them to do a routine that they are capable of hitting both days. No snark! Just curious if I misunderstand the context.
Luck meaning bad luck. Since cheer is so intricate and a changed body position of even an inch in both stunting and tumbling can make the difference between hit or miss, luck does come into play. I don't mean *phew* we hit when we never have. Does that make more sense?

I assumed the opposite (good) luck factor. Like, No Name Elite had their best 75% day ever, beating Susie's All Star Barn, who won Worlds, but had their worst 75% day ever.
I think 50/50 consistency is more difficult, but I don't mind this way. Wouldn't want every comp to be this way, though.

I like a 40%, 60% split. The first day is about getting used to the venue, the crowd, the mat and the way the judges score. But, having a 40% means that the team still has to do well. It's not like the first day is a total throw away.

By day 2, the team has had a chance to warm up to the venue and tweak the routine if necessary. So, day 2 is worth more, but not enough to completely erase a bad day 1.

We hear a lot of "well Team Z bombed on day 1, but they still beat Team Y who did alright both days." 40% 60% gives a little leniency but still forces the teams to do well on both days in order to win.

I guess I always presumed, perhaps incorrectly, that the 25% first day was there to help offset jet/travel lag versus home advantage. While I can justify the necessity of some teams traveling across time zones and needing a day to adjust, I'm having a slightly harder time justifying the "take the better performance and work it to your advantage" score. If it isn't there for traveling, why not just a 50/50 split?

Just curious what you mean by "luck factor"? I've never thought of hitting two days in a row as lucky - it's that I gave and trained them to do a routine that they are capable of hitting both days. No snark! Just curious if I misunderstand the context.
I know this has already been answered multiple times, but think Brandon Senior Black at worlds. Solid and amazing all season long then someone falls down for some inexplicable reason and then half the pyramid doesn't go.
(I still can't watch videos of it.)

I think the 25/75 split would come into play in the case of an illegal deduction. A 2 point deduction can be detrimental if it is worth 4o or 50%. This happened to one of our teams this weekend. They received one this weekend with a stunt that didn't go all the way to prep? (This isn't my CP's team so I don't have the exact details.). So needless to say, they were very conscience of it on day 2.

I think the 25/75 split would come into play in the case of an illegal deduction. A 2 point deduction can be detrimental if it is worth 4o or 50%. This happened to one of our teams this weekend. They received one this weekend with a stunt that didn't go all the way to prep? (This isn't my CP's team so I don't have the exact details.). So needless to say, they were very conscience of it on day 2.

I'd like to change my "travel advantage" for $250, to "illegal deduction" for $1,000. This makes a lot of sense.

It has always been odd to me that Worlds is basically the only multi-day event where the final day is all that matters (0/100%). Why should your World Championship be conducted under different rules than all of the events during the season? (Not to mention they have a completely different score sheet, different scoring philosophy, geography as a criteria for finalists in some divisions, "no hugging" rules, etc.)

Last edited:
@BlueCat How many different scoring rubrics have you had to adapt to over the years? Did they vary greatly? Did/do you have a favorite? If you could change anything about scoring, what would it be, and why?

I'm sorry for all the questions but, would love to hear your opinion.

@BlueCat How many different scoring rubrics have you had to adapt to over the years? Did they vary greatly? Did/do you have a favorite? If you could change anything about scoring, what would it be, and why?

I'm sorry for all the questions but, would love to hear your opinion.

I can't even count the variations, but there have been two main "philosophies": standards-based and comparative. (Standards = 75% of your team does RO BHS Double, you get ____.) In theory, I like comparative scoring, but in practice it has too many fundamental flaws to be a fair, consistent way to score, IMO. Comparative scores simply drift too much to not have some type of "anchor".

Generally, I would make scoring far more open/transparent. That would make good judges more valuable and bad ones more of a liability. (Both of those things are generally bad for EPs, so I understand their resistance.)

Latest posts

Back