Flyer & Backspot?!?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 18, 2012
On my team I am a flyer for baskets & the scorp & heelstretches ect. but for the pyramid I am backing a girl that's taller than i am. She's 87 lbs & i'm only 73 lbs. My coach did have me backing a elevator, & i was fine but now we are starting to add in some hard stunts & i always drop her & can't push her up enough. Everytime i mess up even just a little bit, i have to run 3 laps around the floor. At our last practice on Wednesday i had to run probably 40-50 laps. My coaches are making me back a girl twice my size & then when i can't they get mad at me. The only reason i'm backing & not flying is because the girl got taken out of the other stunts because of her flexibility. so i got taken out of the pyramid to be a backspot. I really don't think it's fair & my mom is starting to get upset because of them making me back someone so much bigger than i am & then getting mad cause i can't do it. Any advice??? :(

Your coach obviously does not know what she's doing. You need to talk to her and explain that you physically cannot beck this girl and the pyramid needs to get rearranged so that someone capable of backing her does it. Your coach shouldn't be making you run for messing up, but rather teaching you the correct way to back. If that does not work you need to re evaluate being on that team

Your coach obviously does not know what she's doing. You need to talk to her and explain that you physically cannot beck this girl and the pyramid needs to get rearranged so that someone capable of backing her does it. Your coach shouldn't be making you run for messing up, but rather teaching you the correct way to back. If that does not work you need to re evaluate being on that team
Thanks for the advice & i've been on this team for 5 years now & i love everyone there but i really don't think it's working. i'm thinking about moving to Cheer Extreme but i would have to drive 45 minutes to get to the gym!! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice & i've been on this team for 5 years now & i love everyone there but i really don't think it's working. i'm thinking about moving to Cheer Extreme but i would have to drive 45 minutes to get to the gym!! :rolleyes:
I totally understand what you're going through! Sometimes you have to move gyms to find the right one. I was having issues at my past 2 gyms, and my mom wasn't into driving 40 minutes to World Cup at first. But I went there for the first time and it was amazing! I've progressed so much and the coaches know what they're doing, and I have a fantastic team. I've noticed its like that at most big gyms. I would HIGHLY recommend making the 45 minute drive to CEA. Just go to tumble/check it out/ talk to the coaches and see how you feel about it! If you have anymore questions about switching gyms please feel free to PM me :)

I totally understand what you're going through! Sometimes you have to move gyms to find the right one. I was having issues at my past 2 gyms, and my mom wasn't into driving 40 minutes to World Cup at first. But I went there for the first time and it was amazing! I've progressed so much and the coaches know what they're doing, and I have a fantastic team. I've noticed its like that at most big gyms. I would HIGHLY recommend making the 45 minute drive to CEA. Just go to tumble/check it out/ talk to the coaches and see how you feel about it! If you have anymore questions about switching gyms please feel free to PM me :)
Thanks!! i really am ready to switch because i have bruises & have got a big gash on my face from trying to back & her landing on me. Also i love CEA i have 3 friends that's already switched from my gym to CEA. :)

I have slight a feeling your coach knows what she's doing. You've been there for 5 years so I assume you trust them and their judgement. You have to forget what you WANT to do and remember what your team NEEDS you to do. You're gonna get hurt sometimes...it's what backspots are there for. Make it your personal goal to be the very best backspot you can be and prove to your coaches what a great athlete you are. You can do anything you set your mind to, so don't sell yourself short. :)

I have slight a feeling your coach knows what she's doing. You've been there for 5 years so I assume you trust them and their judgement. You have to forget what you WANT to do and remember what your team NEEDS you to do. You're gonna get hurt sometimes...it's what backspots are there for. Make it your personal goal to be the very best backspot you can be and prove to your coaches what a great athlete you are. You can do anything you set your mind to, so don't sell yourself short. :)
thanks, we recently got a new coach last season hahaha my coach that i've always have had retired. :(

Your coach placed you as a backspot because she trusts you. We can't all be flyers all the time.
i know i can't fly all the time but my flyer weighs like 14 lbs more than me. then i get yelled at for not being able to back someone twice my size.

i know i can't fly all the time but my flyer weighs like 14 lbs more than me. then i get yelled at for not being able to back someone twice my size.

She's not twice your size unless you only weigh 14 pounds. The weight of an athlete has very little to do with their ability. Are you being yelled at for not being able to back her or for not listening to the coach?

She's not twice your size unless you only weigh 14 pounds. The weight of an athlete has very little to do with their ability. Are you being yelled at for not being able to back her or for not listening to the coach?
no i listen to the coach, i try my best to back but i just can't. everytime i try she always hits the ground. i always feel horrible after practice!!! :(

I think that you should definitely talk to your coach before you leave. Ask if you can meet with her before or after practice and have a discussion. Explain your difficulties and that you don't think you can keep your flyer safe. Your coach may not put you in as flyer - she may put you in another position that's better off than backing, but still gives this girl a chance to fly. I'm sure if you talk to her outside of practice she'll realize the issues you're having and try to figure something out with you.
On another note, your flyer is NOT twice your size. If she was twice your size, she would weigh 146 pounds. Think about it. 14 pounds is not very much weight. But it isn't about her weight, weight isn't all that matters. I understand that you don't feel like you can back, but your coach may think you're just not trying because you want to fly. That's how it comes across when you say "my flyer is twice my size" and "I got taken out". Maybe you should make sure you're trying to get stronger and try really hard so that the coach sees that you are trying and not just giving up. If your coach thinks you aren't trying, she isn't going to want to reward you with putting you back in as a flyer or moving you.
At some point in your life, you'll probably have to know how to do all stunt positions, so it's good to build up your strength and diversity now. We have flyers who back and are fine at it, even though they're tiny, because they've learned how and they've worked on it. I think if you work on it you can get better.

That does sound pretty ridiculous, but you are flyer for most of the other stunts so you can't complain too much about not being a flyer. But making you run laps so much is definitely ridiculous! I mean how are you meant to be perfect at back spotting a girl who's a lot bigger than you when you are normally a flyer?

I agree with foxy^^ I would go check out CEA and if you like it then consider moving :)

Back