Flyer Confidence

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

mytriplek

Cheer Parent
Oct 18, 2012
I have a flyer who's now having trouble with her confidence and it breaks my heart. She fell once and now she can't seem to stay up at all. I wanted to try and take her apart from the group and work with just her. Does anyone know anything I can do to help. I'm a rec coach so I won't have any access to the gym or any equipment besides a maflyer.

I was thinking of maybe taking her to a playground

I have a flyer who's now having trouble with her confidence and it breaks my heart. She fell once and now she can't seem to stay up at all. I wanted to try and take her apart from the group and work with just her. Does anyone know anything I can do to help. I'm a rec coach so I won't have any access to the gym or any equipment besides a maflyer.

I was thinking of maybe taking her to a playground
I am also a Rec Coach- but our league doesn't allow stunting. Depressing, right? Here is my two cents, though, for what it's worth. Stunting is all about TRUST and CONFIDENCE. When a flyer trusts her bases, she gains confidence in them. Same goes the other way around. I would have your flyer practice on the floor, with you watching. Watch her technique. Is she staying tight? Looking up? Then have the bases and spotter practice, without her in the stunt. Watch their technique. Are they doing everything right? Finally, put them back together with YOU spotting. Do not let that child fall. After the stunt has been executed well many times, put the regular spotter back in. These kids need to develop a relationship as a stunt group-- and they probably need to work on conditioning to get their strength up. Technique, conditioning... Confidence... Trust... They all go hand in hand. :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Unless they were struggling with the basic elements if the skill, take the cheer away from it and do some stunt bonding fun times. Get them laughing and having fun instead of focusing on the skill and what went wrong and how to prevent it. Sometimes new bases don't know HOW to always catch their flyer and punishing them doesn't help. Happiness and enjoyment and warm fuzzy feelings will amplify effort with children (IF they already know their basics), at least in my experience.

Back