All-Star For Those Of You That Followed Maddie Sargent...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Maddie is a cheerleader at Wake Forest Allstars and many of us were following her battle with leukemia in 2008 and 2009. She touched many of our hearts with her positive attitude and "never give up" personality. I have been fortunate enough to see her back on the mat competing her in NC. Her Mom just updated her CaringBridge journal so I thought several of you would like to know how she is doing.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 2:33 PM, CDT

Well, I'll start by saying things here are very good. Maddie just did her three year studies for pulmonary, echo, and xrays and everything looked good. Her DNA test also came back showing none of her old cells.
In December, we went to the clinic for Maddie's 2 1/2 year check-up. As usual, she did a DNA test. The results of the test showed some of Maddie's old cells again. After a transplant there should be no more old cells. Usually it means recurrence of the disease. Her doctor told us to just watch for any symptoms and come in every two months to get retested. If the amount of cells increased, he warned we would probably need to do a bone marrow test to find out exactly what the cells were. She never showed any symptoms and the subsequent DNA tests did not show the cell base growing any bigger. As I said already, the results of her last DNA test showed none of her old cells. Her doctor said he wasn't sure why the cells went away but they would not have gone away on their own if they were bad cells.
We're not sure why they showed up but the fact remains that they are now gone and Maddie remains healthy. She hasn't done anything normally during this entire journey so I don't know why she would start now.
Everything else here is good as well. The weather is beautiful, the beach is nice, and the girls are going to track out of school in about three weeks. Maddie would also like me to let you all know that she just got her roundoff, back handspring, back tuck. She's VERY excited about that! God bless!

If you would like to read more about Maddie, here is her CaringBridge site.
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/maddiesargent

You are very Awesome Charlotte AS MOM for posting this!!!:fro: Hope that all is well with you and your "CP" or I guess she would be a "SP" now!!! hee hee!:shaka:

Back