College Foreign exchange student

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 3, 2022
Hi,
I have been a college cheerleader in France for a year, now, and I am going to spend 8 months at Mississippi State University, next year, as an exchange student but, even though I am looking forward to it, my heart is literally broken at the idea of quitting cheerleading during this time. The problem is my team is level 3-4 and does do tumbling, so I do not think I would be skilled enough to join the msu team (and I do not think they would have time to spend to practice with me outside of their official practice time).
Therefore, I wanted to ask you if you knew a place where I could practice I with other people (around 20 years old) near Starkville, Mississippi and, if it was not the case, do you thnk it will be hard for me when I come back to France (will I have lost all of my skills and have to re-learn everything, what can I do to limit the impact )?
Thank you for your help !

Hi,
I have been a college cheerleader in France for a year, now, and I am going to spend 8 months at Mississippi State University, next year, as an exchange student but, even though I am looking forward to it, my heart is literally broken at the idea of quitting cheerleading during this time. The problem is my team is level 3-4 and does do tumbling, so I do not think I would be skilled enough to join the msu team (and I do not think they would have time to spend to practice with me outside of their official practice time).
Therefore, I wanted to ask you if you knew a place where I could practice I with other people (around 20 years old) near Starkville, Mississippi and, if it was not the case, do you thnk it will be hard for me when I come back to France (will I have lost all of my skills and have to re-learn everything, what can I do to limit the impact )?
Thank you for your help !

My college had an athlete from France win nationals with us so it’s not unheard of. Even if there’s not an allstar gym near you in Mississippi there will undoubtedly be a gymnastics gym where you could go to an open gym to keep your skills. I’d just call the closest gym(s) when you get here and ask when they have open gyms and what the cost is.

As to whether or not you’ll lose skills, it’s hard to say. I took two years off and came back and found my body still remembered how to do everything but I know athletes who have come back and have lost tumbling. Anecdotally I’ve noticed that the people who have lost skills tended to be the ones who werent working out while not on a team and who had either gained weight or lost the muscle needed to do the skills. I basically just do a standing tuck once a month to make sure I still can lol

Who do you cheer with? CXS? Paris cheer? Dragons?

My college had an athlete from France win nationals with us so it’s not unheard of. Even if there’s not an allstar gym near you in Mississippi there will undoubtedly be a gymnastics gym where you could go to an open gym to keep your skills. I’d just call the closest gym(s) when you get here and ask when they have open gyms and what the cost is.

As to whether or not you’ll lose skills, it’s hard to say. I took two years off and came back and found my body still remembered how to do everything but I know athletes who have come back and have lost tumbling. Anecdotally I’ve noticed that the people who have lost skills tended to be the ones who werent working out while not on a team and who had either gained weight or lost the muscle needed to do the skills. I basically just do a standing tuck once a month to make sure I still can lol

Who do you cheer with? CXS? Paris cheer? Dragons?
Thank you so much for your reply ! I feel so much better now !
I am used to exercise on my own outside of training, so I hope I will not lose too much of my skills during this time.

As for me, I cheer in Toulouse, with the INSA Foxes ^^

Check with the university to see if they have a club level program in cheer or gymnastics. The club level sports are self run by the students and they usually get to use the school's facilities and they self coach or hire a coach to come in using their own (dues) money.

Check with the university to see if they have a club level program in cheer or gymnastics. The club level sports are self run by the students and they usually get to use the school's facilities and they self coach or hire a coach to come in using their own (dues) money.
Unfortunately, I have searched for a student run club, but the university does not have one…

I would email Chris Opheim, he's the head cheerleading and mascot coach according to the MSU website <click here>

Hopefully, he can answer some of your questions.

Back