All-Star General Scoring Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 10, 2015
I had a browse of previous topics and haven't seen this pop up, so I'm curious.

I've never quite understood the basis of scoring in cheer - my limited knowledge leads me to think that different competitions award varying points. Is there a general rule in each level about what each skill is worth on the score sheet? And how many points in deductions certain mistakes are worth? What is the maximum score possible? So many questions! :help:

It really depends, to be honest. Most competitions have their own way of scoring, and it can often be fairly subjective. In general, difficulty and execution (for each section: standing tumbling, running tumbling, jumps, building skills, dance, transitions) are tallied up with deductions for falls, bobbles and safety breaches.

Imma just let USASF explain it:
US All Star Federation: SCORING

It really depends, to be honest. Most competitions have their own way of scoring, and it can often be fairly subjective. In general, difficulty and execution (for each section: standing tumbling, running tumbling, jumps, building skills, dance, transitions) are tallied up with deductions for falls, bobbles and safety breaches.

Imma just let USASF explain it:
US All Star Federation: SCORING

Thanks :) I'm curious about lower levels as well, because I'm a level 3 athlete so trying to do some mental calculations of difficulty and what scores higher

Thanks :) I'm curious about lower levels as well, because I'm a level 3 athlete so trying to do some mental calculations of difficulty and what scores higher
Try this, which is from another big US competition system: Varsity All Star Cheerleading - Varsity Scoring

In terms of what specific skills score higher, that's more done by a case-by-case basis I believe. I don't think there's any big list of exact skills and numerical values, and we don't have a universal code of points like gymnastics (if we did it would be absolutely gigantic). It's more about hitting the score sheet in terms of variety, transitions, cleanliness, visuals, etc.

Try this, which is from another big US competition system: Varsity All Star Cheerleading - Varsity Scoring

In terms of what specific skills score higher, that's more done by a case-by-case basis I believe. I don't think there's any big list of exact skills and numerical values, and we don't have a universal code of points like gymnastics (if we did it would be absolutely gigantic). It's more about hitting the score sheet in terms of variety, transitions, cleanliness, visuals, etc.

Gigantic, but helpful haha. Thank you for your help!! Im a bit of a rookie and its overwhelming how much information is out there

I'm also new to all this and have a daughter on tiny level 1...so doing a fwo or bwo scores the same? One isn't worth more than the other?

Back