All-Star Glcc Comp Scoring/chicago

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

For the sake of analysis, I looked at our gym's results at Indianapolis vs. Chicago. And while we had some admittedly better performances (and results), our raw scores were consistently higher across the board for what I'd assume were "comparable" performances. It's possible that we tweaked routines to maybe squeeze another point of difficulty out of them, or our technique was better - but there was nothing I saw personally that made me think that the judging was tighter this weekend.

So again, I wonder if this is a specific judging panel thing. The way they throw teams in and out of those sessions, I have to think there's a panel A and panel B, so even teams in the same session might be scored by different judges. I can't imagine those judges have time to score a team, write comments, and then immediately start watching another team 30 seconds later unless they're savants. Maybe I'm completely off-base about that, though.

I should have been more specific. The judging panels that our program encountered this weekend and at Supernationals were a bit tighter with the points than the ones we had at GLCC Milwaukee, Jamfest Dekalb, and Jamlive Chicago. I use the example of our J2 because they have hit their routine in all but one competition and there have been few changes, so it's easier to compare across competitions. Different panels score differently, and I am happy with tough judging as long as it's consistent across the whole division, which it definitely was.

Also, there is a panel A and panel B judging at these events. The judges score alternating routines so they have time to make comments and score accurately.

Copying my post from the other thread since it seems to apply better here. Maybe A/B panels are the explanation, but two teams, same level, same session at this competition. Drastically different scores.

"To elaborate on my earlier post, here are the videos of the two teams I compared. Our (UA's) Mini 1 team scored a 90.00 on day 1 with the routine below, TI Cheer's Junior 1 scored an 82.46 on the routine below. Not saying the Mini's didn't deserve their score, because they were great and max out Jam scoring. I'm saying the Junior team was scored way too low, by the same set of judges (these teams performed about 30 minutes apart in the same session). Maybe I'm missing something that someone else can point out to explain the inconsistencies."

The scoring here is crazy to me. I posted this in the other thread, but our youth 2 has consistently scored in the 88-91 range since the first competition at Jambrands events, scoring a 91 something at Jamfest SN a couple weekends ago. They hit a perfect routine yesterday and scored an 86 something? That is a whole 5 POINT difference. THAT is odd to me, and a perfect example.
I can do one better than that. At at Jamfest event this weekend, our team hit their routine and scored 6pts lower than SuperNationals. It was our lowest score of the season. How does that happen if the are all supposed to be using same Jambrands score sheet?

I can do one better than that. At at Jamfest event this weekend, our team hit their routine and scored 6pts lower than SuperNationals. It was our lowest score of the season. How does that happen if the are all supposed to be using same Jambrands score sheet?

Yup! Just like our youth 2 this weekend! :confused:

To add a bit more to this, I talked to my CP's coach about our scoresheet on day 2, when we had no deductions yet still scored lower than at Super Nationals by 4 points. I asked if we lost the points in the subjective areas of the scoresheet, like execution, technique, etc., and while we did lose some there (I get there will be variation there with different judges), we also scored lower on our quantity/difficulty scores. Where we were awarded the max in almost all areas in Indy, we were scored less than max at GLCC. This is the part I don't get. There shouldn't be variation in those scores as far as I understand, as its purely based on what skills were performed. The routine didn't change, all skills were executed, so why the difference?

To add a bit more to this, I talked to my CP's coach about our scoresheet on day 2, when we had no deductions yet still scored lower than at Super Nationals by 4 points. I asked if we lost the points in the subjective areas of the scoresheet, like execution, technique, etc., and while we did lose some there (I get there will be variation there with different judges), we also scored lower on our quantity/difficulty scores. Where we were awarded the max in almost all areas in Indy, we were scored less than max at GLCC. This is the part I don't get. There shouldn't be variation in those scores as far as I understand, as its purely based on what skills were performed. The routine didn't change, all skills were executed, so why the difference?

Question: Did GLCC allow coaches to check quantity scores 30 minutes after performance?

KikiD22
The little blonde one who comes really close during the cheer (the "#1, forever" part) IS SO DARN CUTE. I mean they all are but she is working that routine.
okay that's all I'll watch the other video now :oops:

Question: Did GLCC allow coaches to check quantity scores 30 minutes after performance?
I am not a coach but I do recall them tweeting multiple times that coaches could go to the score check tables within 20 minutes of their teams performance.

KikiD22
The little blonde one who comes really close during the cheer (the "#1, forever" part) IS SO DARN CUTE. I mean they all are but she is working that routine.
okay that's all I'll watch the other video now :oops:
I'll have to go back and watch it. I think that's the little girl that crosses over between Mini 1 and Junior 1, and she's a doll!! My CP isn't on Mini's this year, so I don't know off hand who it is.

Across the board I agree about how much lower the scores were from super as well. Our senior 3s was almost three points lower as well as our junior 2 being two points lower. We spoke to the judges and they said its within range of the division ( as alway) but then day two our seniors three scores went up 2 full points, which was great but because of the low day one score didn't do to much for them!! Anything we checked after the time of performance was daily on and if we had an issue they would review it and either change it or explain why. That part went very well.

Copying my post from the other thread since it seems to apply better here. Maybe A/B panels are the explanation, but two teams, same level, same session at this competition. Drastically different scores.

"To elaborate on my earlier post, here are the videos of the two teams I compared. Our (UA's) Mini 1 team scored a 90.00 on day 1 with the routine below, TI Cheer's Junior 1 scored an 82.46 on the routine below. Not saying the Mini's didn't deserve their score, because they were great and max out Jam scoring. I'm saying the Junior team was scored way too low, by the same set of judges (these teams performed about 30 minutes apart in the same session). Maybe I'm missing something that someone else can point out to explain the inconsistencies."

For what it's worth, while an 8 point difference seems a little big, with technique and choreography scores I would have judged these two teams about the same as the results. The mini one is fantastic with technique, choreo, and creativity. It kept me interested the whole time. Making it through the junior team was tough, even though the skills were good, and that's going to affect the scores greatly.

I am not a coach but I do recall them tweeting multiple times that coaches could go to the score check tables within 20 minutes of their teams performance.

I know for a fact that one of our coaches did just that for my cp's team on day 1, and by doing so directly affected our final placement. I think it was for something difficulty-related rather than quantity, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

Back