All-Star Glenda The Good Gym Or Black Sheep Gym?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My CP is at a gym where we have both Glenda and Black Sheep and we love it there, cp is only a mini at the moment but she at 7 will tell you that next year she is gonna be a Level 5 event though as she puts it Coach is kinda a jerk.(BTW this coach is not a jerk he is just not warm and fuzzy like she is used to being a mini)

My CP is at a gym where we have both Glenda and Black Sheep and we love it there, cp is only a mini at the moment but she at 7 will tell you that next year she is gonna be a Level 5 event though as she puts it Coach is kinda a jerk.(BTW this coach is not a jerk he is just not warm and fuzzy like she is used to being a mini)

HAHA! <3

To make things clear this coach is not a jerk and the only reason cp said he was because he made a team do extra conditioning and she HATES HATES HATES conditioning so please do not think I am talk ing bad about a coach at our gym

Move to Chicago. I think I can be Glenda and a Black Sheep. I can instill those core values, all while being strict and getting new skills. There is a good balance, and I truly believe some coaches, and some programs can instill BOTH of them!

This is the type of gym we found and that my cp thrives in. I think if a kid has a passing fancy for cheer then what I call the "rainbow & unicorns" gym is the probably a good fit. My cp was a competitive gymnast with a really strict coach that was training these 6 year olds to be elite gymnasts. She was used to being told to "just stick it" and having her coach get on her while she was in the middle of a skill. I remember Huey one time watching her do her level 4 routine on bars, came over and had her start again. As she was doing a skill he started yelling "PULL PULL PULL!" and she did. Matt did the same thing to her while she was working on back handsprings, he would stand right next to her "BLOCK NOW NOW NOW" and she did.
If a coach is to lenient on her she takes advantage and messes around. The secret is to balance the 2, demand nothing but 100% and when the kids give it, reward them in kind. Our girls got pizza parties for getting grand, and a lock in for winning NCA. She decided a few weeks ago that her and Harrison are going to be on Medium Coed together when they get older and now is pushing herself to get to his level (she has a long way to go)...I know her coaches can make it happen.

I have 2 CPs in a small gym. My oldest had a very successful year (although they didn't win NCA) and my youngest was on a team that struggled the entire year for various reasons. My youngest CP and I were walking around at NCA and ran into a mutual friend who had on her NCA jacket. Her mom bragged that it was her 5th jacket in a row!!! As we were talking to her, she didn't seem overly excited at all... I guess she was trying to figure out how she was going to fit this jacket in her closet :p. I've often wondered if going to a larger, more successful gym would be better for my CPs but then I realized that my kids learn so much more from not winning then they do from winning. I know this sounds so cliche but I truly believe that. They have thrived in this environment and have learned leadership skills. My oldest made freshman captain and I think it is due to her experience at our "Glenda" gym.

I think most big name gyms are a combo of both Glenda Good & Black Sheep. It is when you look at small gyms that things feel more cut and dry.

Small gyms need kids to get skills faster... If you don't have a level 5 team at your gym, you are not going to attract a level 5 cheerleader so most are in a hurry to get there.

If you are at a gym that does not care about levels you are at the NOn-competitive Glenda Good Gym.

In my mind, "Glenda" is great for the kid who loves doing cheer recreationally and doesn't care about the win. Some kids thrive in that environment, but I can't really see a gym being competitive if they're "Glenda" all the time. It takes hard work to be competitive, and sometimes kids do need that extra stern push in order to work through to the next level. I agree with the posters here who are saying a good mix of both is ideal. Good luck!

I have come up with a perfect solution! BlueCat you need to expand to Northern NJ. You have no idea how North NJ is lacking in quality gyms....specifically NORTH WEST NJ! NJ is densely populated you could start a whole new mega gym on the east coast! There are some great gyms SOUTH, Central, north-east but none in the north-west area of NJ. I can see it now
NJ Cheer Athletics :cheerathletics: Are you picturing it BlueCat? Yes...that's right close your eyes and imagine the potential. :cloud9:
You have presented us with a "false dichotomy". Rare is the gym that falls neatly into either of those categories.

False dilemma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My personal opinion is, that it is great for kids to get to have the experiences that both of these gyms have to offer. My cp has been to both types of gyms and greatly benefitted from both types of programs... If you can make it work, let her try both.. Then you will see what is better for your child..

Latest posts

Back