All-Star Gym Owners Refusing To Sign Release... Appeal Process?..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

To reply to yesucan's original post... If said individual left the team mid season when team went back to 5 and were in the process of competing for a worlds bid then I think your argument is quite faulty. If the athlete in question left when all was as advertised, knowing full well of the consequences of leaving mid season, then the USASF rules should be adhered to. I would feel quite upset being the athlete that left. Being a parent on a team where an incredible athlete we still admire left mid season... The consequences for our team were initially quite devastating. The rules are put in place to protect against that devastation for a team full of kids.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Hi-Phlyer21 were they IDs or timer tags? I race triathlon and have those at almost every race but they are not athlete specific.. They just record the exact times you cross the mat.
They were timer tags and I know that, but I feel like its the same general concept. And if it could be applied in that way would be a good idea.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone

Andre : would it be feasible for the next season to have every worlds eligible athlete sign something official from the USASF that they have read and understood the release rule? And change the rule to that if the athlete (or the parent if they are under 18) did not sign such a document that they have to be relased by their gym (or don't even need a release)?
This would at least make every worlds eligible athlete aware of the rule and gyms couldn't "trap in" their athletes by simply keeping quiet about the rule.

Even though this doesn't take care of an appeals process, it would at least be progress to make everyone aware of this rule.

Andre : would it be feasible for the next season to have every worlds eligible athlete sign something official from the USASF that they have read and understood the release rule? And change the rule to that if the athlete (or the parent if they are under 18) did not sign such a document that they have to be relased by their gym (or don't even need a release)?
This would at least make every worlds eligible athlete aware of the rule and gyms couldn't "trap in" their athletes by simply keeping quiet about the rule.

Even though this doesn't take care of an appeals process, it would at least be progress to make everyone aware of this rule.

I know you're posing this as an idea of how to make everyone aware and that your theory is that if gyms don't make athletes/parents aware, they can't hold them... But what if someone refuses to sign? Do they still have to be released? Would they not be eligible for Worlds?

I know you're posing this as an idea of how to make everyone aware and that your theory is that if gyms don't make athletes/parents aware, they can't hold them... But what if someone refuses to sign? Do they still have to be released? Would they not be eligible for Worlds?
If someone refuses to sign you either don't put them on the team, or you live with the risk of them just walking away to another gym one week before worlds.

If someone refuses to sign IN a contract they should not be allowed to participate or if a coach allows them to participate they have no grounds for requiring a release later.

I've been on both sides. I'm curious if LEGALLY this could hold up if a suit came about bc of it. No contract signed in but a required signature to get out? I just don't understand.

If someone refuses to sign IN a contract they should not be allowed to participate or if a coach allows them to participate they have no grounds for requiring a release later.

I've been on both sides. I'm curious if LEGALLY this could hold up if a suit came about bc of it. No contract signed in but a required signature to get out? I just don't understand.

That was my initial thought. Everyone who's worlds-eligible has to register with the USASF, right? So when they register, they have to list an email address/mailing address (or both! I don't know if they already have to do this). The USASF emails/mails a form to them. Forms MUST be returned to the USASF by October 31st. Gym name must be listed, maybe a special 'gym code number' is given to the gym that they would then give to their athletes for the form.

That was my initial thought. Everyone who's worlds-eligible has to register with the USASF, right? So when they register, they have to list an email address/mailing address (or both! I don't know if they already have to do this). The USASF emails/mails a form to them. Forms MUST be returned to the USASF by October 31st. Gym name must be listed, maybe a special 'gym code number' is given to the gym that they would then give to their athletes for the form.
It's not rocket science, nor would it be difficult. Still hasn't happened, I won't hold my breath but I GUARANTEE you that I will bring it up in Doral!!

Email this suggestion in.

While I think this is a really good starting point, who exactly do you define as a "Worlds eligible athlete"? Since you have to be released to compete with another gym regardless of what level team you were on at your original gym, it's not enough to just collect signatures from Senior/Open 5 teams. At the same time, the idea of trying to collect, organize, and keep track of forms for every single athlete age 12 or over seems insane.

I do like this overall idea and I'm not trying to bash it, but I see some logistical headaches and I'm curious for suggestions on how those would be tackled.

While I think this is a really good starting point, who exactly do you define as a "Worlds eligible athlete"? Since you have to be released to compete with another gym regardless of what level team you were on at your original gym, it's not enough to just collect signatures from Senior/Open 5 teams. At the same time, the idea of trying to collect, organize, and keep track of forms for every single athlete age 12 or over seems insane.

I do like this overall idea and I'm not trying to bash it, but I see some logistical headaches and I'm curious for suggestions on how those would be tackled.
In order to compete at Worlds, you have to be registered with the USASF, correct? So basically everyone who is registering as a level 5 to compete at Worlds would automatically get an email/snail mail of a form (whichever way they choose to get it). In order to be eligible to compete for a bid, all athletes MUST have their paperwork in by Oct 31st, WHICH WOULD INCLUDE a form stating the athlete release rule and the appropriate signature (I chose Oct 31st because the release rule starts on Nov 1st).

Now- this doesn't take into account those teams who try last-minute for a bid (Spice Rays or what have you), but I'm lacking the info to address such an issue. My initial thought was since they hadn't registered the whole team (more than likely), they'd have a second type of form with a different deadline and it would involve team makeup (limiting the amount of people who can use this secondary form which would help with the substitutions rule). Something like that. I'm still hashing out the idea in my head..

In order to compete at Worlds, you have to be registered with the USASF, correct? So basically everyone who is registering as a level 5 to compete at Worlds would automatically get an email/snail mail of a form (whichever way they choose to get it). In order to be eligible to compete for a bid, all athletes MUST have their paperwork in by Oct 31st, WHICH WOULD INCLUDE a form stating the athlete release rule and the appropriate signature (I chose Oct 31st because the release rule starts on Nov 1st).

Now- this doesn't take into account those teams who try last-minute for a bid (Spice Rays or what have you), but I'm lacking the info to address such an issue. My initial thought was since they hadn't registered the whole team (more than likely), they'd have a second type of form with a different deadline and it would involve team makeup (limiting the amount of people who can use this secondary form which would help with the substitutions rule). Something like that. I'm still hashing out the idea in my head..

Right, but what about the kids that are not on a level 5 at the beginning of the season? Susie decides in January that she's leaving her Junior 4 at ABC cheer to be on XYZ cheer's Senior 5. She wouldn't have signed that form assuming it had only been sent out for kids on registered level 5's.

I believe that it is required for all gyms/athletes that participate in USASF sanctioned events to be registered members. Since everyone has to sign up, do you think that all the athletes that fall into that Worlds eligible age bracket should have to sign something acknowledging this rule?

Back