Gym Profit

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have heard of gyms doing this! I would b very upset! We pay so much for comps as it is. The fees r listed on the comps website and I know our gym does not.

Is it truly a "profit"? If you are calculating your competition fees based on the athlete registration for each competition and your gym is charging more, that does not necessarily mean they are profiting. The coaches spend 12+ hour days at competitions. They spend time prior to competitions registering athletes, prepping routines outside of practices, holding extra practices, travel costs, etc. and should be compensated for that. Generally if you are being charged an amount above and beyond what the EP is charging per athlete, this is where the money is going.
I did have a situation several years ago where late in the season the gym owner pulled the teams from a competition and we were not refunded our money and we did not add a new comp. In this case, the gym profited $125/athlete and I thought that was unfair and the money should have been credited to every athlete's account.

I don't think it's as easy for gyms to mark up comp fees as they can in other areas, especially since anyone can go online and see what the EP is charging per athlete and per crossover. Uniforms, practice wear, (clothing packages in general), buses all have more arbitrary pricing that make it easier for the gyms to make a profit from.

Is it truly a "profit"? If you are calculating your competition fees based on the athlete registration for each competition and your gym is charging more, that does not necessarily mean they are profiting. The coaches spend 12+ hour days at competitions. They spend time prior to competitions registering athletes, prepping routines outside of practices, holding extra practices, travel costs, etc. and should be compensated for that. Generally if you are being charged an amount above and beyond what the EP is charging per athlete, this is where the money is going.

This.

I was going to say the same thing. Just because they are charging more doesn't mean they are "profiting."

We charge more for competition fees and costumes than they "cost" if you were to look them up online. It's not profit - it pays for the endless hours of labor that go into sizing, ordering, and distributing costumes, and for the extra costs associated with the competitions (teachers' time and travel, my time to do all the administrative tasks to get the girls to the competition, etc)

I used to think gyms were profiting on comp fees and uniforms every time they charged more, but now that I've had a more in-depth look at the process, and done all the bookkeeping for the dance studio, I see that it's not profit - it's cost covering.

What about crossover fees? I saw that there is a few comps that our gym is going to that if you register early crossovers are free. What is the norm for gyms to charge an athlete for crossover fees?

Our previous gym was very upfront that they marked up all comp. fees. It was stated they were marked up to pay for travel, hotels, and extra hours that were necessary for Coaches to put in to make the comp. possible. I appreciate that she was upfront and explained it to us.

I just remembered we are paying 5 lump payments that cover all comp costs and travel this season (excluding hotel cost). I would actually have no clue if they marked up comp fees. I realize this is a business and they need to keep generating revenue if they are going to improve all aspects of the gym which will only benefit my cp in the long run.

As far as crossover fees go, we pay a higher lump sum than those only doing one team to cover this.

Our fees are bundled into coaches expenses, music, choreography and end of year banquet....divided by 5 payments. If there is a markup on any of those things I wouldn't be able to tell. I agree with the points already made by previous posters.

I do not expect coaches to fund their own travel or work 12/14/16 hour days all weekend for free.

Unless you know the process of what it takes to register teams with each event you can't image how labor/time intensive that is. There's a person from your program handling that and time is $$.

As far as uniforms.....I know what I was paying for uniforms 10+ years ago Compared to what I'm paying now....with the bling (which we didn't have back then) and the increase in gas prices (which in turn makes shipping more expensive) so......markup on uniforms for is is marginal if anything. However....we have a former parent who is in charge of uniform orders and she sizes out whole program , collects money and distributes uniforms when the come in. That kind of time costs money as well.

Last edited:
I've noticed that people have some confusion when comparing youth sports. Like, your Little League coach is a volunteer. He's in charge of paying his own way and won't make a profit of the players. An allstar cheer gym is a for-profit business. They need to charge what things cost, plus whatever it takes to pay salaries, other business expenses, and make a profit.

I can say our (competition fees) are not marked up, and everyone only pays the early bird fee. Everyone one of our fees are broken down beyond that then added up and shown how it's divided.

36fdc17a6ec07a1681a5d21ee9dc1dd2.jpg

The total for comp fees is listed and if you go to the websites as add up the early bird fees it is dead on.

Now I say comp fees aren't marked up but I would never know if the other fees are marked up ... But then again there are things I can identify we aren't being charged for like music so I'm sure it's combined in there show how! And our music isn't cheap I'm sure because they like to have it done by a big person .. Also coaches fees! That's a lot of coaches to book rooms for a fly to these competitions to be covering out of pocket
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can say our (competition fees) are not marked up, and everyone only pays the early bird fee. Everyone one of our fees are broken down beyond that then added up and shown how it's divided.

36fdc17a6ec07a1681a5d21ee9dc1dd2.jpg

The total for comp fees is listed and if you go to the websites as add up the early bird fees it is dead on.

I don't see what we call coaches fees.......do you know how much those are ?

Your competition fees are very close to mine and mine include coaches fees, choreography and music too.

I don't see what we call coaches fees.......do you know how much those are ?

Your competition fees are very close to mine and mine include coaches fees, choreography and music too.
If they are in there then they are mixed in with other fees and not comp fees. But there is a mom who goes each year and adds up all the early bird fees for comp fees and tells us what it is before the gym knows what it is.

Back