High School Hazing In High School Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not going on over this way.

I can tell you that whenever I have seen these types of incidents happen, they're at schools where the "coach" is a young cheer program alumna who is coaching kids she may or may not have cheered with or be quite close in age with. Too much trying to be best friends and still act like members of the team, not enough boundaries.
I understand what you're saying, but I think it's important to remember that not all young coaches are push overs and care too much about being "liked" and having friendships etc

Nationwide, I can't tell ya.

In my program: it better not be.

Prior to taking over the program, the previous coach made buddies with the seniors and allowed them to get away with murder. So, it would not surprise me if it was an accepted practice at that time. Of course, what else would you expect from a woman who was carrying on her extramarital affair in the cheer office (I got rid of that desk). She also provided the alcohol for the post nationals Disney world party.
Just eewww! I hope she was fired and arrested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand what you're saying, but I think it's important to remember that not all young coaches are push overs and care too much about being "liked" and having friendships etc

I'm aware. I was a young (23 years old) coach once starting out. It was just an observation of situations near me.

I can tell you that whenever I have seen these types of incidents happen, they're at schools where the "coach" is a young cheer program alumna who is coaching kids she may or may not have cheered with or be quite close in age with. Too much trying to be best friends and still act like members of the team, not enough boundaries.
In this case (from what I could gather from the movie, at least) was that Brooke's (the head Fab 5 member, if that's her real name) parents divorced and the mom had never put much of a leash on her to begin with, and felt incredible guilt at the fact that her divorce had caused her daughter so much heartbreak. So she started indulging her even more, hence why we saw the events that took place. The school went through 5 cheer coaches in 3 years. Like @OldskoolKYcheercoach said in another thread, if the school is practically changing coaches every year, it's a wrong indication that a foul system is in place. The mom and assistant principal were eventually fired.

I feel awful for all of the other girls on the team who's high school cheer experiences were crap just because of 5 entitled brats.

In this case (from what I could gather from the movie, at least) was that Brooke's (the head Fab 5 member, if that's her real name) parents divorced and the mom had never put much of a leash on her to begin with, and felt incredible guilt at the fact that her divorce had caused her daughter so much heartbreak. So she started indulging her even more, hence why we saw the events that took place. The school went through 5 cheer coaches in 3 years. Like @OldskoolKYcheercoach said in another thread, if the school is practically changing coaches every year, it's a wrong indication that a foul system is in place. The mom and assistant principal were eventually fired.

I feel awful for all of the other girls on the team who's high school cheer experiences were crap just because of 5 entitled brats.
Fun fact: some of those same girls are college cheerleaders or coaching cheer else where. I will find the link and post if I can. I couldn't imagine hiring someone with such reputation. Yes they were young but they were young enough to know what they did was foul and wrong.

Mine just went to her first high school cheer sleepover. the older girls asked her if she was 'scared' to go. Nothing bad happened...they did a few things (eating hot stuff, etc.)

The thing is that no one HAD to do any of these things...it was all voluntary...and a lot of the older veteran girls did it right along with the newbies. So far, no hazing going on at our school thankfully.

When you realize your school has had a different cheer coach every year for the last four years... :oops:
The issue there isn't so much hazing as it is entitled kids and parents who expect to not have to follow rules, so coaches get fed up real quick. That coupled with the fact that the AD knows nothing about hiring cheer coaches and then doesn't stand behind them on discipline issues = a new coach every year, and the reputable coaches in town are simply over it and don't bother applying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not related to hazing, but this is definitely a problem with cp's varsity coach. She was the middle school coach for many of them, and then their JV coach, and she was always more concerned about their approval and being nice than enforcing rules that she herself set. She is a doll and I love her, but it also doesn't help that she attended and cheered for cp's high school and the AD was her gym teacher there back in the day. Fortunately I think her middle school/JV group graduates this year (along with their PIA parents) and maybe she will be able to command some greater respect with the incoming team in the fall.

We will have a young coach, but she was the assistant last year and she didn't go to school around here. I think not being from from here will be the key.

I have been in the other situation and it wasn't so much the coach wanting to be friends with the girls as being overly influenced by one parent.

We will have a young coach, but she was the assistant last year and she didn't go to school around here. I think not being from from here will be the key.

I have been in the other situation and it wasn't so much the coach wanting to be friends with the girls as being overly influenced by one parent.
Were they friends or something, or was the parent just overbearing?

When I was in high school there was hazing. It was little stuff - like freshman had to wear animal masks the first day of camp that said fresh meat on them. The underclassman always had to take the dishes of the upper classman at camp meals. Freshman having to eat a sardine. The biggest I remember was when I was a junior. The freshman were kidnapped and taken to the park playground next to the school around midnight. They were blindfolded and had to go through a messy obstacle course, like crawl through the tunnel of chocolate sauce l, shaving cream slip in slide, etc. It was followed by a team sleepover.
Not cheer, but my high schools women's soccer team did the whole kidnapping to sleepover bit. Then coach did know about it and was okay with it as long as the girls who were gonna be kidnapped were okay with it. I guess everyone knew it was gonna happen, but just didn't know when.

Not related to hazing, but this is definitely a problem with cp's varsity coach. She was the middle school coach for many of them, and then their JV coach, and she was always more concerned about their approval and being nice than enforcing rules that she herself set. She is a doll and I love her, but it also doesn't help that she attended and cheered for cp's high school and the AD was her gym teacher there back in the day. Fortunately I think her middle school/JV group graduates this year (along with their PIA parents) and maybe she will be able to command some greater respect with the incoming team in the fall.
I had this issue as well, but she had coached us in pop warner then went on to be the high school cheer coach. Although in my case she started resenting all us girls who did all star and high school cheer because we didn't idolize her like we did when we were nine lol. She ended up hating and treating badly anyone who did all star because they discovered she wasn't that great of a choreographer or coach like we thought when we were young. Resulted in a lot of experienced talented girls not returning as you would imagine. :rolleyes:

I had this issue as well, but she had coached us in pop warner then went on to be the high school cheer coach. Although in my case she started resenting all us girls who did all star and high school cheer because we didn't idolize her like we did when we were nine lol. She ended up hating and treating badly anyone who did all star because they discovered she wasn't that great of a choreographer or coach like we thought when we were young. Resulted in a lot of experienced talented girls not returning as you would imagine. :rolleyes:
That is terrible. It is unfortunate that someone could not have intervened.

I've been at my school for awhile now, so this is not an issue, but I know that coaching issues like these are like CANCER to a program (whether they're not setting boundaries or worse things like hazing kids.)

Ex: No one wants to cheer when Recent Grad Suzy is buddy buddy with like 5 girls, makes them all captains, puts them all on Varsity without skills, etc.

Back