Heavy Flyers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 4, 2011
There is a girl on our team, we will call her Judy. She is an amazing flyer. best stretches, best two legged double downs, and amazing balance. However, she is extrememly heavy. We had the strongest bases on our team try to base her and it didnt work out. We all promised each other that we would work with her more and build up our strenth to put her in the air. This was two months ago. We still cant get her up. How do we talk to our coach about this? We already have enough flyers but no feelings should get hurt. What do we do?

There is a girl on our team, we will call her Judy. She is an amazing flyer. best stretches, best two legged double downs, and amazing balance. However, she is extrememly heavy. We had the strongest bases on our team try to base her and it didnt work out. We all promised each other that we would work with her more and build up our strenth to put her in the air. This was two months ago. We still cant get her up. How do we talk to our coach about this? We already have enough flyers but no feelings should get hurt. What do we do?
Talk to your coach and explain that at the time the stunt group is not able to lift her up... or if your not confortable with her as your flyer tell him/her that. Ask them what your stunt group needs to do together to be able to lift her into the air and follow their instructions along with coming in extra to practice stunting or having a stunting private. Work hard and be determind! Dont give up, she will fly someday!

Talk with your coach(es) one on one about this. Either you all will get changed around, or something else will happened...but she/he will help you through this.

I've noticed some of the heavier flyers with the smallest bases. I think these girls are just heavy because they are solid and maybe the coaches put them with smaller bases because they are so strong themselves. Who knows????

well maybe she should try to hold her weight more?? maybe you should try a different grip on her foot. if she has really good stretches then i think your team should keep trying to put her up. i personally don't believe that anyone is too big to fly. try using your legs more & have the back spot pull up on her ankle a lot.

i'd talk to your coach.. if you dont want to just do some weight training and use your legs lots in the air , and ask your third to lift more weight! you'll find a solution if you try.

I think that if you have given it your all and you can't think of any other way to keep her up, there is nothing more that you can do. Did your group try to rearrange yourselves to see if you could change the balance of the bases? I don't think, if in good faith, that if you guys have tried and your coaches believe that you have tried and the flyer has tried, there isn't much else that anyone can do. I know sometimes a flyer can fly 'light' and I'm not sure why that is with some and not with others, but if she is too heavy to fly on your team, then she may not be able to fly this season. Same thing happened on our team. Great flyer but she grew and gained weight and all of the bases are the same size as she is or even smaller than she is and no one can keep her up, so she can't fly this year. It doesn't mean she will never fly again; maybe next year with bigger bases on a different team she will fly, but with the make up of her current team, she will not be able to fly.

Back