All-Star Daughter with no tumbling skills on an Allstar prep team?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 19, 2023
We have decided to take my daughter, who is in middle school, off her current comp. team, which is non-all-star. She is one of the main flyers. There is gym in our area offers a full year prep team and also a half year team which only runs for 3 months but starts mid-year. While she picks up choreography quickly and is a solid stunter and very flexible in the air, she has no tumbling skills other then a cartwheel and roundoff, and seems to have 0 motivation to learn tumbling either. We tried tumbling classes 3 times already in various gymnastic gyms over the past couple of years Each time she came out with the same cartwheel she had before, doesn't practice at home and most of the complaints were about being with too many younger kids and not being able to "get anything." I've explained to her numerous times that tumbling is not something you just get over night. When I contacted the all-star gym, they told me not to worry there is a level for everyone. I know the prep team only has 2 levels. She is also on the introverted side so me and her will go into this knowing noone. Am I setting her up to fail or maybe in time with privates or tumbling classes at the all-star gym, she can progress? Do you think a full year prep team is worth it vs the 3 month one? If we decide not to try her in this, she will have to wait 2 years to try out for a school cheer squad.

I don't think you are setting her up to fail, but what does your daughter want to do? There are big commitment differences between prep and half year.

When it comes to tumbling, I would probably try one or two privates just to see if she shows any interest when it is just her and a coach. The simplistic answer is, kids will generally work hard at the hobbies/sports they are interested in. If you are concerned about moving on from half year or prep. There are flyers, bases, and backs on higher level tumbling teams who don't tumble, but they are usually extraordinary in another skill (such as, a phenomenal flyer). With the addition of the NT division, many athletes with no desire to tumble, but love everything else cheer, now make that their goal.

Lastly, All Star is a great place for an introvert to get to know other people, there are so many athletes in the same situation.

Back