All-Star High School Cheer And Allstar Cheer Conflict?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 18, 2015
Hello. Someone just told me that when High School Cheer becomes an official sport in 2 years, cheerleaders will no longer be allowed to do both Allstar and High School cheer. Does anyone know if it is true that they will have to choose due to the rules?

I suspect it will be similar to other sports. For example, in experience (maybe state? District?), club sports do not have practices or competitions that conflict with school sports. My son plays baseball. His club team practices right up until the first day of school baseball. They don't have any mandatory practices or games until the official end of school baseball.

This is GREAT in the case of scheduling. My daughter's Allstar team has a competition out of state the same weekend as the high school state competition. It's extremely frustrating to have so much season overlap.

Sorry, I don't have an answer so confused about the whole thing! Is it only affecting competition high school cheer squads? What about the high schools that only do sideline cheer and don't compete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our High School cheer should be going competitive right about time my oldest CP gets there. At least that is their plan. Allstar Cheer starts in May, comps start November and end April. I think High School football ends in late November/Early December so I assume high school cheer might compete around that time too but I don't really know. Our Pop Warner comps went into the end of January this year (after football was over), so if High School cheer is the same, then that would definitely conflict.

I'm not sure of the date (March?), but our HS coach has proposed attending USA high school nationals in California (our district has nix'd UCA nationals because of travel time/cost). Both of those comps are right in the middle of Allstar season.

If I remember correctly when Kentucky was trying to make cheer a sport it would have stopped the high school teams from competing at National competitions. Also I cant remember what state maybe WV where kids cant cheer on high school squads that compete and all stars at the same time.

A lot of the HS and middle schools in Ohio don't allow it. No laws, but HS coaches were sick of conflicts with practices or games. Especially if the athlete cheers basketball season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our district's HS doesn't allow it. There aren't any PIAA regulations about it, as several girls on CP's team cheer for their HS (different district). It's just the coach's prerogative.

We have a new coach this year for HS. She tried to make girls choose between HS and AS. She had to back down when she realized that she wouldn't have much of a competition team without the AS girls. Unfortunately, our district doesn't have a strong feeder for HS cheer.

If cheer becomes a sport, then if you cheer in high school you can not miss practice/games/competition for any "club" sport that you participate in (which would include all-star cheer). You could probably make Fall season work, but winter season would be nearly impossible.
I believe schools would also be banned from attending Nationals if cheer becomes a sport.

If cheer becomes a sport, then if you cheer in high school you can not miss practice/games/competition for any "club" sport that you participate in (which would include all-star cheer). You could probably make Fall season work, but winter season would be nearly impossible.
I believe schools would also be banned from attending Nationals if cheer becomes a sport.
Yes, this is how it works where I am. Except I'm not sure about the Nationals part- we don't go but I don't know if it's banned.

I wonder if it was the club teams (here) that decided to purposely disallow practices during school seasons. It makes sense. I do see that it would be very difficult for cheer.

I coach rec cheer in Florida. The county I'm in, high schools don't compete but the girls can't do rec and high school.
High school and allstars, yes.
Allstars and Rec, yes.
High school and rec, no.

Back