High School Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 25, 2014
At tryouts do you get extra points for cheer or cheer prep, and tumbling?? Also is there a good way to really practice your balance at home? I'd like to try to be a flyer id of course be happy with anything I just find it would be excited! And I really want to try it! Anything I could do at home to practice that?

At tryouts do you get extra points for cheer or cheer prep, and tumbling?? Also is there a good way to really practice your balance at home? I'd like to try to be a flyer id of course be happy with anything I just find it would be excited! And I really want to try it! Anything I could do at home to practice that?
Every tryout is different! You may want to email your school coach and ask if she can give you an idea of how tryouts are done at your school. Also there are many different products for balance, like a balance ball or ones specifically for flying are the maeflyer and stunt stand. I am not a flyer, but I know that girls on my team have used these before. These are just suggestions, and definitely not a definitive list of products for your needs.

My CP has used canned food like veggies to work on flying skills at home..if balance is a bit off still,use a Tupperware type bowl instead since its a bit sturdier. Eventually we found flyer boards cheap online when we knew she would definitely be flying..I think we paid $10 for it. Drills to do at home were the best thing she could've done to prepare herself..building muscle memory so she was always tight & learning to always balance on the ball of her foot put her at an advantage as an inexperienced flyer

At my high school tryouts, cheer and tumbling are part of the scores! You don't need tumbling to make the team (in most cases) but it would definitely help. As for balancing as a flyer, a lot of flyers tell me that if your bases are good enough, it's easier balancing in the air than on the ground. Nevertheless, a useful object for balancing while getting used to being off the ground is, believe it or not, a chair. Although it's not exactly as high as you would be in a stunt, it is better than being on the ground. Also, be sure to stretch, and go to open gyms if you can and sign up for a tumbling class if you are not already in one. Good luck at your tryouts!

Back