All-Star How Can I Work On Stunting Skills?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 15, 2019
Hi everyone!

I'm an adult who has been out of cheer for awhile, but looking to start up again. In the past I did have Level 4 stunting experience (I was on a Senior 4.2 team), but it's been a few years. I was never really a tumbler (only had level 2 skills) and honestly I'm looking into nontumbling teams so that's not really an issue.

I guess my question here is, how would I go about getting some practice in as far as stunting? I know many nontumble teams want you to be able to base level 6. I see a lot of tumbling clinics at the gyms around me, and occasionally stunting clinics, but they're usually for the under-18 athletes. Also would appreciate recommendations for any at-home, solo exercises I could do to possibly improve my strength/technique.

Hi everyone!

I'm an adult who has been out of cheer for awhile, but looking to start up again. In the past I did have Level 4 stunting experience (I was on a Senior 4.2 team), but it's been a few years. I was never really a tumbler (only had level 2 skills) and honestly I'm looking into nontumbling teams so that's not really an issue.

I guess my question here is, how would I go about getting some practice in as far as stunting? I know many nontumble teams want you to be able to base level 6. I see a lot of tumbling clinics at the gyms around me, and occasionally stunting clinics, but they're usually for the under-18 athletes. Also would appreciate recommendations for any at-home, solo exercises I could do to possibly improve my strength/technique.

For basing, you need strong legs for the dips, strong arms and shoulders to hold up the flyer, and a strong core to keep yourself steady when the flyer moves. Those would be the larger muscle groups to focus on.

Do you have access to any weights/equipment? I have found that weight lifting exercises have some of the same mechanics and and foundations as basing. (They actually compliment eachother really well and I wish I saw it offered in cheer gyms - especially since a lot of privates seem to be geared toward flying and stunting and not so much basing unless you are with a group.)

For basing, you need strong legs for the dips, strong arms and shoulders to hold up the flyer, and a strong core to keep yourself steady when the flyer moves. Those would be the larger muscle groups to focus on.

Do you have access to any weights/equipment? I have found that weight lifting exercises have some of the same mechanics and and foundations as basing. (They actually compliment eachother really well and I wish I saw it offered in cheer gyms - especially since a lot of privates seem to be geared toward flying and stunting and not so much basing unless you are with a group.)

I don't have access to any weights or equipment at home. I was planning to join a gym, but now the gyms are going to shut down for two weeks starting the 30th.

I definitely agree that most private lessons are geared toward flying. There needs to be more focus on basing, especially for those just getting into cheer or who have been in retirement for awhile.

I don't have access to any weights or equipment at home. I was planning to join a gym, but now the gyms are going to shut down for two weeks starting the 30th.

I definitely agree that most private lessons are geared toward flying. There needs to be more focus on basing, especially for those just getting into cheer or who have been in retirement for awhile.

BeachBody On Demand is about $100 for a year membership. They have lots of workouts that use your own bodyweight to build muscle & strength. There are also free videos on YouTube. I spoke to a gym owner once who said she tried to offer classes for bases/back spots, but no one wanted to pay for those classes. Their flyer classes have a waiting list.

Last edited:

You can still work those muscle groups with bodyweight exercises. I would say look on youtube or the internet for workout routines that you might like. I apologize, I cant offer you a lot of specific videos - I'm not one to do a follow along video. I usually like making a list of the excercises they do and then doing my own routine with that info. Resistance bands can be a cheaper alternative to weights, especially right now, and store easily.

I'd say holding handstands would probably be your best bet in semi-mimicking basing.

Also, look into Power Yoga - that is usually a great full body workout and builds a lot of the stabilaztion muscles in your knees, shoulders, wrists, etc that help with basing and keeping those joints healthy - espcially as an adult. It's great for core as well -you're usually holding positions for a period of time.

BeachBody On Demand is about $100 for a year membership. They have lots of workouts that use your own bodyweight to build muscle & strength. There are also free videos on YouTube. I spoke to a gym owner once who said she tried to offer classes for bases/back spots, but no one wanted to pay for those classes. Their flyer classes have a waiting list.

I would suggest checking out your local library, too. My old library had a lot of the BeachBody DVD sets available for check out for free - P90X, Insanity, T25, etc - as well as a HUGE selection of yoga DVDs and other at-home workout DVDs.

You can still work those muscle groups with bodyweight exercises. I would say look on youtube or the internet for workout routines that you might like. I apologize, I cant offer you a lot of specific videos - I'm not one to do a follow along video. I usually like making a list of the excercises they do and then doing my own routine with that info. Resistance bands can be a cheaper alternative to weights, especially right now, and store easily.

I'd say holding handstands would probably be your best bet in semi-mimicking basing.

Also, look into Power Yoga - that is usually a great full body workout and builds a lot of the stabilaztion muscles in your knees, shoulders, wrists, etc that help with basing and keeping those joints healthy - espcially as an adult. It's great for core as well -you're usually holding positions for a period of time.

I would suggest checking out your local library, too. My old library had a lot of the BeachBody DVD sets available for check out for free - P90X, Insanity, T25, etc - as well as a HUGE selection of yoga DVDs and other at-home workout DVDs.

These are all great suggestions, thank you! I will look into them.

This is an unfortunate year to start back up, as a lot of gums have pared down on optional and extra classes. Our gym has a Friday night flights class (during non covid times) that is open to all for flying and basing practice. Maybe see if there's something like that near you?

This is an unfortunate year to start back up, as a lot of gums have pared down on optional and extra classes. Our gym has a Friday night flights class (during non covid times) that is open to all for flying and basing practice. Maybe see if there's something like that near you?

Definitely an unfortunate year to try to do anything!! Which is why I'm probably going to just wait until tryout season to try to make a team.

I will look into those types of classes or open gyms! Thank you so much.

Back