College How Did You Become A Cheerleader (guys Only)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I'm going to answer for my ex husband (since he's not on here). But in college he had a crush on me, we lived in the same dorm. I mentioned something about cheer tryouts and needing guys, so he showed up-thinking he'd never make the team, but would use it as a way to get a date with me. Well, he made the team! We started dating. The next year we were stunt partners. After graduation we got married, had kids, got divorced (I think that's how it goes these days).

I will answer for my husband too! He was recruited to play football at many large colleges and ended up at KU playing football. He was dared he said but I think he chased a girl :) He made the team and picked up on the sport very quickly! He cheered for 4 years at KU and thats how we met was through cheer after college and he is my best friend and assistant coach now! He can still stunt just like he did in college and I find it amazing the things he can still do!

I was a gymnast in high school and had Spanish class with one of our schools cheerleaders. We would constantly argue about which sport was harder during class. So one day she told me that she bet I couldn't last two weeks on the team (I'm not sure if this was reverse psychology at its best or she really was challenging me, either way it worked :rolleyes: ). So of course the next day I went to practice with her, two weeks later I was still cheering and 5 years after that I am still cheering and don't see retirement in my near future :D

My buddy was the high school mascot and the cheerleaders taught him how to do a back flip senior year. He asked me one time if I wanted to learn it, I said sure and we went to a local cheer gym. I learned a back tuck in about 5-10 minutes, picked up back handsprings the next week, started tumbling. Then I was introduced to stunting. Game on. I was a varsity wrestler, so I had lots of strength and liked throwing people around. I just kept getting better at both quickly, and stuck with it. 10 years later, I'm a collegiate coach with a NCAA certification.

The summer between my junior and senior year of high school I saw my friend (a gymnast) do a standing tuck and made it my personal goal to learn one before I graduated. I learned it that summer and started doing other tumbling at open gyms and on the grass at school.

An all star gym near me had an open gym every once in a while and they would give $10 for every boy you brought to the open gym. Further more they would have contests and give out awards/$$ at the open gym for most improved and stuff like that. It was a great way to get guys into the gym because once you get the cheer bug you can't stop.

A girl at my school brought me to the open gym and I was hooked. Signed up for the team asap and competed with them for the second half of my senior year. Went to UCA nationals as a complete cheer noob, didn't even know who World Cup was when my teammate was trading shirts with them, but I knew I loved the sport.

4 years later and I still can't get enough.

Back