High School How Do You Guys Condition For Your Routines?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Is this too much?

• Total voters
Nov 29, 2011
Just wondering how your guys' teams condition so you can hit all your skills in the routine. Our coach does this little thing called 'routine conditioning' i.e. death sentence. It's basically running the routine after practice twice with a 10 second break in-between to get back into your formations. Ugh... so what do you guys do?

We do back to backs (same thing you described) but I don't give a break at all. The second the music stops they quickly line up and we go again. When its competition season we will do it a few times each practice, so I don't think its too much! I think your coach is doing it right! I condition my team A LOT! Every practice starts with a mile & a half timed run. In the summers the last 30 - 45 minutes of practice is strictly conditioning - lots of suicides, indian runs, lunges, pushups, v-ups, you name it we probably do it!

We also do stunt conditioning. Every group gets in a double base extension, they hold for so long and then bring it to prep, then press back up to ext, back to prep, how long they hold is always different. Sometimes I have to do them fast to emphasize using technique and dipping with your legs. If a group drops every group holds whatever we are in until they are back up. I have them do extensions as opposed to harder stunts because the flyer weight is equally balanced among the group and because of the amount of time we hold - can be anywhere between 3 - 8 minutes long. How long it goes just depends on how they are doing and how hard the practice has been. I can tell when they reach the "done" point and thats when we bring it down. As soon as they finish this I have them do 15 non stop show'n'go's in a row, just to drill technique & timing, because if you don't use it you won't be able to do all 15!

We do that sometimes. It sucks while we are doing it but then at competitions I feel like the routine is so much easier.

Near competition season our coach would have us run around the mat in a line, but at every corner the first person in line would have to cross tumble and then jog to the end of the line ( the second person in line would become the first person in line after the front girl got off at the first corner to tumble. Then this girl would get off at the next corner and do her pass, as the once third in line girl becomes first after two corners, etc.). Depending on the size of our team each year we would run until everyone had 3-4 passes for small/medium teams. For large teams we would do 2-3 passes only because it took way longer to get through the line. It really made us concentrate on using technique to get passes over, because if you just tried to chunk something you would not land it when tired. Typically the first pass could be a roundoff backhandspring or a warm up roundoff, but after that every pass had to be a tuck or above. After doing this for a couple of practices, the last pass always had to be your routine pass.

We run our routine full out, 50 push ups to catch breath, then we run 10 laps. Quick drink and start all over...We do this from Christmas on to make sure the hard skills can be done in our routine when the girls are tired!

. It's basically running the routine after practice twice with a 10 second break in-between to get back into your formations. Ugh... so what do you guys do?

we have done this once our twice.. ugh. It sucks, I guess it does help, but at the time, it reallllllly is a death sentance.

Just wondering how your guys' teams condition so you can hit all your skills in the routine. Our coach does this little thing called 'routine conditioning' i.e. death sentence. It's basically running the routine after practice twice with a 10 second break in-between to get back into your formations. Ugh... so what do you guys do?
my hs team did the same thing. we'd do the routine around 5 times at the end of practice with just enough time in between to get back in our formation. not fun but it always helped when competitions rolled around

we just run ..and run .. and run ... the take a water break .. then run again ... then put weights on .. and run again

We do the back to back routine. Sucks while doing it, but honestly it really does help. On twitter a lot of Allstars cheerleaders complaint about running the routine 2 times at practice...we have prbly gone full out 10 times at one practice alone. We also do like an oval office thing, I believ people do that on soccer as well.

At the very end of practice, I make my girls run Laps saying our cheer as loudly as possible but while still sounding like cheerleaders. It's killer but it really builds up endurance!

We just do it over and over. If anyone messes up, we start over again.
We start doing it completely full out, then we'll take out tumbling, then baskets as the practice goes on.

Back