How Long Before You "lose" A Skill?

Discussion in 'Skills' started by SheCheers, Oct 18, 2011.

1. SheCheers

SheCheers Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I know this is definitely different for everyone and for probably different skills, how long you've had the skill, etc but I'm curious to know how long you could go or think you could go without executing a skill before you lose it. Thinking in terms of time off for either injury or taking time off for personal/financial/burn out reasons.

Would it be 1 month, 3 months, 6 months? Longer?

2. The_cheer_obsessed

The_cheer_obsessed I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I'd lose mine in like 2 weeks if I didn't tumble for that long

3. Kiah Haynes

Kiah Haynes I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I figure I could probably make it a couple of months but who knows lol:)

4. CoachFrank203

CoachFrank203 They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I went years without throwing a tuck and made one after 30 minutes of practice drills, just depends on how well you understand technique and what type of shape your in, are you concerned about a specific skill?

5. cheerheart4life

cheerheart4life Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    As long as you use technique and keep the muscle strength, you should be able to do the skill if its been a couple months. I think past 3 months is definetly too long though, even though people had done it!

6. coachbd

coachbd Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    Yeah I think it depends a lot on the type of tumbler you are - what kind of training you had received (technique etc.), the confidence you previously had in executing the skill, how proficient you were in executing it previously/what your form was like etc. For myself personally, as someone who is not a strong tumbler, I feel I would "lose" the skills fairly quickly if I did not perform them regularly - but I believe that is primarily to do with the fact that I was never 110% confident/proficient with it to begin with. An athlete who was at a kind of level where they could pull doubles, for example, who stopped tumbling for a few years would probably still easily be able to do a backhandspring years later - conversely, an athlete who only really tumbled up to flips and flip series would probably not be able to do that skill straight away after a few years off. I think a lot of it has to do with muscle memory and confidence.

7. AndyT_T

AndyT_T Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    my coach hadnt tumbled in 4 years and pulled a layout last night:)

8. Calibabyy

Calibabyy They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I've taken breaks before due to injuries and stuff I would say it depends on how long you've had the skill mastered! I've had my back handspring since I was little and after taking years off I was still able to throw it.. but after only having my tuck for a couple months and then taking a month off I had to re-learn it

Right now I've been out for three months already from an ACL injury and I'm nervous to see how long it will take to get my tumbling back since I can't start again until feb :/ I guess I'll have to wait and see

9. Meggerz2310

Meggerz2310 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    i know from experience that it took me exactly 6 months to loose a full!!!

10. Morgankay88

Morgankay88 I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    It is definetly different for everyone. I pulled a full after not doing one for 2 years. Same with my double full. I haven't pulled a double full in a couple years now... and now I am nervous to. Now I have to pay for the bill if I get hurt. Getting older sucks :p

11. cscheerio

cscheerio I shimmy daily

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I sprained my ankle badly after doing a bad cartwheel. This was a month or so after i had finally got my bhs by myself, it took me six months to get it back and work through the fear of hurting myself again.