High School Hs Tryout - Clinics?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Tosh

Cheer Parent
Nov 22, 2011
Not sure if the subject came up before; however, there are many HS that can not practice until August or not until school starts. I am wondering if that means that you can not do anything "cheer" related at all?
I thought it would be nice for these squads to do "fundraisers" during the summer in the form of Clinics, where they have a stunt group from a good School Squad come in once a week and do clinics for the girls that made the squad for a reasonable fee.
Thoughts???

I wonder if that is because in that state cheerleading is considered a sport by the HS
Not sure if the subject came up before; however, there are many HS that can not practice until August or not until school starts. I am wondering if that means that you can not do anything "cheer" related at all?
I thought it would be nice for these squads to do "fundraisers" during the summer in the form of Clinics, where they have a stunt group from a good School Squad come in once a week and do clinics for the girls that made the squad for a reasonable fee.
Thoughts???
>

I wonder if that is because in that state cheerleading is considered a sport by the HS? I know for things that are considered sports there are strict guidelines about when they can start practice etc so that way a team won't be over worked by a crazy coach. Here in IA cheerleading isn't considered a sport so they are free to practice whenever they'd like.

I wonder if that is because in that state cheerleading is considered a sport by the HS
>

I wonder if that is because in that state cheerleading is considered a sport by the HS? I know for things that are considered sports there are strict guidelines about when they can start practice etc so that way a team won't be over worked by a crazy coach. Here in IA cheerleading isn't considered a sport so they are free to practice whenever they'd like.
Exactly. In the state of washington, cheer is not a sport. So we get to have practice/camps over summer because we are a "club".

If we were considered a sport the girls would not be able to compete nationally only in state.

In florida if your high school registers cheer with FHSAA (which is our high school state association) you have two options for tryouts. You can do one massive tryout in June where all grades can tryout together for both JV and Varsity or you can do a varsity tryout in May and then have the JV tryout in June because incoming freshman are not allowed to tryout until June.

As far as practice goes you can start practicing after tryouts but can not start learning/practicing any competition material until September which can put you in a hard spot because some regions in florida have their first regional the first weekend of December.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

In florida if your high school registers cheer with FHSAA (which is our high school state association) you have two options for tryouts. You can do one massive tryout in June where all grades can tryout together for both JV and Varsity or you can do a varsity tryout in May and then have the JV tryout in June because incoming freshman are not allowed to tryout until June.

As far as practice goes you can start practicing after tryouts but can not start learning/practicing any competition material until September which can put you in a hard spot because some regions in florida have their first regional the first weekend of December.

Wow. That's interesting. How can they really police the no competition material until September rule? I can understand not having choreography but I find it hard to believe they don't go into September not knowing or working on stunt sequences and pyramids.

Illinois is very similar, if you are listed as competitive you are limited to 25 "meetings" with your squad over the summer and there are also blackout dates in which you are not allowed to do anything on. We also have a deadline as to when you can attend summer camp. We also are not allowed to work on competition material until November, with some competitions starting in December. There are ways around that though ; )

I would check with your school guidelines and state guidelines to make sure you are not violating any rules and such.

Illinois is very similar, if you are listed as competitive you are limited to 25 "meetings" with your squad over the summer and there are also blackout dates in which you are not allowed to do anything on. We also have a deadline as to when you can attend summer camp. We also are not allowed to work on competition material until November, with some competitions starting in December. There are ways around that though ; )

I would check with your school guidelines and state guidelines to make sure you are not violating any rules and such.
25 meetings actually doesn't seem that limited. At least for us summer is barely a full 2 months with a state mandated 2 weeks off. So 5 weeks plus a camp week, you could practice quite a lot with those 25 days allowed. I really feel for the states that can't do anything and this is the main reason I don't want cheer to be classified as a sport.

25 meetings actually doesn't seem that limited. At least for us summer is barely a full 2 months with a state mandated 2 weeks off. So 5 weeks plus a camp week, you could practice quite a lot with those 25 days allowed. I really feel for the states that can't do anything and this is the main reason I don't want cheer to be classified as a sport.

Here in Illinois, Competitive Cheer is a sport which is why we are limited, like the other sports in our state, to these 25 meetings. If your squad is not competitive, then there are no restrictions as you are a club.
Here, our summer starts on Memorial Day weekend and doesn't end until the second, sometimes third, week of August. We usually have 10 weeks off. I'm usually at around 20 "meetings" so it's not too extra bad, but I have to count our Relay for Life event that we always help out at as a "meeting" as it is a required attendance event and camp counts as well, so if you have three days of camp that's three "meetings", with those right there we are already at 4 "meetings". It can get into a sticky situation, but that is why I have long practices with fewer meetings so that we can work on the same amount of material.

Thoughts???

In MA we can't "practice" until end of August when our season starts. We can however, attend 5 days of a camp if wanted, as well as fundraise ( camps, car washes, etc.)

In WV- we can not have try outs until August. Until then we are allowed 3 weeks of "out of season coaching". those 3 weeks are purely just conditioning only. Nothing skill based ( jumps, stunts or tumbling are not allowed during that time) The conditioning is open to anyone interested in trying out.

Latest posts

Back