I Need Help Getting Funds!!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 3, 2015
So I am trying to start a new all star cheer team in my area and as we all know that could be expensive. I have started a campaign on customink to get funds and supporters B-FAS All-Stars start up fundraiser Fundraiser - Online Fundraising | Booster and I also have a go fund me at B-FAS All-Stars by Maya Barnes - GoFundMe in which we have raised $50 dollars. I have also tried talking to some of the businesses in my area for donations and sponsorships but they have either not gotten back to me or have said no. But I have faith so I will keep trying and pushing on until I can make this dream happen. I need your help rising funds so if you could donate to either one of the funds above and tell your friends and family to do the same that would be just cheerific. And in return you will be help me and the team I want to start, expand the world of All Star Cheer and finally get it known to everyone in the world that cheerleading is a sport.

So I am trying to start a new all star cheer team in my area and as we all know that could be expensive. I have started a campaign on customink to get funds and supporters B-FAS All-Stars start up fundraiser Fundraiser - Online Fundraising | Booster and I also have a go fund me at B-FAS All-Stars by Maya Barnes - GoFundMe in which we have raised $50 dollars. I have also tried talking to some of the businesses in my area for donations and sponsorships but they have either not gotten back to me or have said no. But I have faith so I will keep trying and pushing on until I can make this dream happen. I need your help rising funds so if you could donate to either one of the funds above and tell your friends and family to do the same that would be just cheerific. And in return you will be help me and the team I want to start, expand the world of All Star Cheer and finally get it known to everyone in the world that cheerleading is a sport.
I think changing the T-shirt design might help. Can I whip something up for you? If so, what design guidelines do you have for me?

I've posted your links to my Twitter.

I agree with others on the t-shirt design.

As a business owner, can I offer you some feedback & tips?
- I love that you have put together a document outlining everything. That shows you've thought this through more than "Hey I want to start a gym".
- The most important equation you need to know is:
Income - Expenses = Profit
Keep that in mind for later.

- My first question would be "How much money have you saved to invest in your endeavor?" As a potential investor I would want to see that you are financially invested as well and aren't relying 100% on other investors. It could be support from friends & family, but I would want to see some sort of personal financial interest.
- Some of your projected costs are not direct business costs rather costs covered by the parents: uniforms, shoes, warm-ups, bows, bags, make-up & music. It's great that you have projected those costs, but I would put those items in a separate table. This shows you've thought of the items & cost, but that those will be parent funded. That also reduces your total funds requested by $17,000. I don't see any costs for a choreographer if you plan on hiring it out.
- Why would you need a van? Most gyms don't have a van, but if yours would need one you should be ready to explain why. That could also reduce your funding request by $31,000.
- Same with the $850 camera. Camera phones are really good these days & there are a lot of really good cameras for a lot less than $800 for a startup cheer business. Is that a necessary expense right now?
- Do you have a potential place to rent yet? Is that the $5,000 listed under Place? Have you researched the size of place you would need and the going rental rates for a year? That seems awfully low to me. I would do more research & move some of the requested funds from the van & camera toward the lease costs. Include the cost of leasing a place and utilities for a year in your proposal.
- You need insurance. My guess is the liability for a cheer gym is not cheap.
- What licensing, certification, training costs will you have?
- Every new endeavor has unexpected costs. I would allocate some funds for incidentals & unexpected costs - office supplies, 1st aid kits, etc.
- What are your income projections? You've done a pretty good job of outlining your initial expenses, but how much are you going to charge parents? If you came to me with your proposal I would want to know that you are pricing it so you can cover your expenses. If you had 30 kids what would you need to charge to cover your annual expenses? What if you only had 15 kids?
- What are your plans to keep this running while you finish high school and attend college?

Those are some of the questions I would ask if you walked in my door.

Remember, most new businesses go under within 2 years. The companies that last are the ones that do their homework first, plan well, and account for the unexpected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

About the T-Shirt (that's the one thing I can definitely help with):
1) You want both genders to be able to wear the T-shirt, but neither the cut nor the design are unisex.

2) The objects in the design are a bit awkwardly spaced. It should say cheerleading instead of 'cheerleaders'. In addition, you have to consider the fact that

3) What does B-FAS stand for? I like the fact that it is unisex.

4) The design I'm doing for you is on a black T-shirt (makes the colors pop more), which costs a little more than a white one (cost depending on the # of units you order).

5) What type of tone/brand would you like for your gym? Your original shirt design makes me think of Top Gun and their military theme, though part of me feels like you used stars because they were a generic choice.

Here is the design: B-FAS Shirt - Google Slides

@AlwaysLearning I am under the impression this is supposed to be a zero or low cost activity for the kids and that subsequent years would hopefully be funded through more donations which is why I suggested in a previous ride the idea of a community-based recreational program that the town itself could help sponsor

**Can I be my own clique**

@AlwaysLearning I am under the impression this is supposed to be a zero or low cost activity for the kids and that subsequent years would hopefully be funded through more donations which is why I suggested in a previous ride the idea of a community-based recreational program that the town itself could help sponsor

The GoFundMe page makes it sound like this is something she wants to do to put on her college application as well. Maybe I'm reading it wrong?

If this is true, @AlwaysLearning do you have a plan for how to manage going to college, running this business, trying to grow the business and everything you want to do in the mean time? This sounds like a lot to take on for a 16 year old. I know your heart is in the right place and you really want to stand out but maybe just helping coach for now would be a good stepping stone? That type of leadership would stand out on any college application. And then you could fully concentrate on your school work and really learn all you can before you start your gym. If you apply yourself through college and really research it all, maybe even while still coaching, you will a have a solid background for when you really do decide to start your own team. And maybe other businesses who you had hoped would sponsor you will do so next time around after you show them all the experience and knowledge you have gained while in college.

Just a thought! :)

I missed the whole - it was a low cost community based program! If that's the case then I would partner with parks & rec to set up a program and help with the back end of the program. I would also keep parent costs lower than $425 for a uniform not including accessories for a rec program.

I think running a rec program while in school would be difficult, but not impossible if the person happens to be very driven and can organize their time properly. BUT it takes a very special personality to pull it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I missed the whole - it was a low cost community based program! If that's the case then I would partner with parks & rec to set up a program and help with the back end of the program. I would also keep parent costs lower than $425 for a uniform not including accessories for a rec program.

I think running a rec program while in school would be difficult, but not impossible if the person happens to be very driven and can organize their time properly. BUT it takes a very special personality to pull it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It could just be the way I'm reading into it.

About the T-Shirt (that's the one thing I can definitely help with):
1) You want both genders to be able to wear the T-shirt, but neither the cut nor the design are unisex.

2) The objects in the design are a bit awkwardly spaced. It should say cheerleading instead of 'cheerleaders'. In addition, you have to consider the fact that

3) What does B-FAS stand for? I like the fact that it is unisex.

4) The design I'm doing for you is on a black T-shirt (makes the colors pop more), which costs a little more than a white one (cost depending on the # of units you order).

5) What type of tone/brand would you like for your gym? Your original shirt design makes me think of Top Gun and their military theme, though part of me feels like you used stars because they were a generic choice.

Here is the design: B-FAS Shirt - Google Slides
I am sorry that it took me so long to get back to on this but i have been taking in the considerations from others who have replied, but i really am grateful that you took the time to design this shirt for me, i think it is amazing and who really stand out to potential supporters.

I agree with others on the t-shirt design.

As a business owner, can I offer you some feedback & tips?
- I love that you have put together a document outlining everything. That shows you've thought this through more than "Hey I want to start a gym".
- The most important equation you need to know is:
Income - Expenses = Profit
Keep that in mind for later.

- My first question would be "How much money have you saved to invest in your endeavor?" As a potential investor I would want to see that you are financially invested as well and aren't relying 100% on other investors. It could be support from friends & family, but I would want to see some sort of personal financial interest.
- Some of your projected costs are not direct business costs rather costs covered by the parents: uniforms, shoes, warm-ups, bows, bags, make-up & music. It's great that you have projected those costs, but I would put those items in a separate table. This shows you've thought of the items & cost, but that those will be parent funded. That also reduces your total funds requested by $17,000. I don't see any costs for a choreographer if you plan on hiring it out.
- Why would you need a van? Most gyms don't have a van, but if yours would need one you should be ready to explain why. That could also reduce your funding request by $31,000.
- Same with the $850 camera. Camera phones are really good these days & there are a lot of really good cameras for a lot less than $800 for a startup cheer business. Is that a necessary expense right now?
- Do you have a potential place to rent yet? Is that the $5,000 listed under Place? Have you researched the size of place you would need and the going rental rates for a year? That seems awfully low to me. I would do more research & move some of the requested funds from the van & camera toward the lease costs. Include the cost of leasing a place and utilities for a year in your proposal.
- You need insurance. My guess is the liability for a cheer gym is not cheap.
- What licensing, certification, training costs will you have?
- Every new endeavor has unexpected costs. I would allocate some funds for incidentals & unexpected costs - office supplies, 1st aid kits, etc.
- What are your income projections? You've done a pretty good job of outlining your initial expenses, but how much are you going to charge parents? If you came to me with your proposal I would want to know that you are pricing it so you can cover your expenses. If you had 30 kids what would you need to charge to cover your annual expenses? What if you only had 15 kids?
- What are your plans to keep this running while you finish high school and attend college?

Those are some of the questions I would ask if you walked in my door.

Remember, most new businesses go under within 2 years. The companies that last are the ones that do their homework first, plan well, and account for the unexpected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am sorry to you as well that it took me so long to get back to you on this, but I have been going through all of the comments that people have left me and they give me really good advice, especially yours. Now that I have really thought about it I am going to go through and edit the proposal and take out the unnecessary costs and add another table showing you what the parents would be covering. I do highly appreciate that you took out the time to help me with this.Thank You!!

I am sorry that it took me so long to get back to on this but i have been taking in the considerations from others who have replied, but i really am grateful that you took the time to design this shirt for me, i think it is amazing and who really stand out to potential supporters.
No problem, I'm happy to help! Let me know if you need any more designs.

Back