All-Star Icu Worlds 2017

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Well if that's true then who knows if Team England all girl will even be back next year... There are no all girl level 6 teams in England so if they put a premier team together I thinks it's a tall order to learn the skills and try to be competitive when the team only trains a few weekends a year.

I was thinking about that too yesterday
The Premiere category is so tough , you can't really compete as a brand new level 6 Team
Germany and also Japan went back to Elite after competing Premiere for a few years because although Lvl 6 is big here, Scandinavia etc are just so far ahead

I do understand the thought behind the new rule though, it is the same as at ECU, Elite is supposed to be the " beginner category"
Once you win you are expected to move up
I am just not sure how it will work out because as you already mentioned with England, some countries don't really have level 6 and they might just end up not going at all

This isn't like soccer though, this sport is more akin to gymnastics which does involve different skills as you move up. IMO if you have multiple strong programs in your country you should push to premier, as that is quite obviously the level the ICU is pushing to be the "main event" of the world championships.
its unfair to force a team to make these changes. imagine pushing a gymnast (using the example you provided) to a level he or she was not ready for, or didn't have the resources for and adequate coaching staff to be able to safely achieve. And if they did not take these risks they were not allowed to compete.

I'm all for level 6 being labelled as the most prestigious in ICU, and it should be the level everyone wants to be at, but you should go when you're ready. Just like an all star team going from level 3 to 4 or such like.

It's harsh and I don't think it will have the developmental effect icu maybe hopes it will.

But I'm happy to be proved wrong this time next year, won't be the first time

its unfair to force a team to make these changes. imagine pushing a gymnast (using the example you provided) to a level he or she was not ready for, or didn't have the resources for and adequate coaching staff to be able to safely achieve. And if they did not take these risks they were not allowed to compete.

I'm all for level 6 being labelled as the most prestigious in ICU, and it should be the level everyone wants to be at, but you should go when you're ready. Just like an all star team going from level 3 to 4 or such like.

It's harsh and I don't think it will have the developmental effect icu maybe hopes it will.

But I'm happy to be proved wrong this time next year, won't be the first time

But I don't understand how forcing teams to go level 6 pushes growth or improvement in the sport. They are both at the top level, I like the terms "elite" and "premier", it shows they are both respected levels, but they are so totally different! Being good at level 5 does not automatically mean you'll be good at level
6, especially for all girl. And why would you need to be if it's not your chosen discipline? Being good at level 2 progresses into being successful at level 3. But I don't think you can always say the same for level 5 and 6. As a base, I love level 5, and always thought I wouldn't have nearly so much fun at level 6. I think the flyers have all the fun at level 6.

Also what will it mean for future winners of the elite division? If they keep removing the winners it waters down the competition, and then how long before anyone can turn up with an iffy routine and win the gold?

But I don't understand how forcing teams to go level 6 pushes growth or improvement in the sport. They are both at the top level, I like the terms "elite" and "premier", it shows they are both respected levels, but they are so totally different! Being good at level 5 does not automatically mean you'll be good at level
6, especially for all girl. And why would you need to be if it's not your chosen discipline? Being good at level 2 progresses into being successful at level 3. But I don't think you can always say the same for level 5 and 6. As a base, I love level 5, and always thought I wouldn't have nearly so much fun at level 6. I think the flyers have all the fun at level 6.

Also what will it mean for future winners of the elite division? If they keep removing the winners it waters down the competition, and then how long before anyone can turn up with an iffy routine and win the gold?
I don't disagree, but I believe that it only applies for the year following the win. Two years after they win, they can return to elite.

Don't judge a book. I always prefer basing level 6! It's actually like level 5 and then some. :)

That's fair, but my conspiracy theory-tuned brain is telling me their trying to push everyone to premier to get cheer in the olympics and not for the advancement of the sport necessarily. I agree that it isn't the best to push nations that don't have the resources, but I definitely think the "clear out" of elite is intentional... also note I may be completely wrong lol

Agree with you 100%

Australia has sent both coed and all-girl elite teams to represent them at previous ICU Worlds before, but not since 2015? They sent a dance team last year, not sure about this year though. I miss team New Zealand too, they won coed elite some years back, but didn't make an appearance this year.

Our last ICU Team was from my area too :(( I had hope for this year. For anyone who was wondering, we sent a dance team (bradshaw) from the eastern states somewhere.

I don't find it strange. Because slowly there would be no team competing in level 5 division. In few years you will have like 5 teams competing and later you would have no team to compete in elite division

I believe that if cheerleading ever gets into olympics, it will be the premier divisions. They also have to held olympic trials (like in other disciplines) to determine who gets to compete at the olympic games. So that is the reason to push countries for level 6. And btw, England do competed in Premier division back in 2009 (first ICU cheerleading championships, #iwasthere) and got bronze medal!

I don't find it strange. Because slowly there would be no team competing in level 5 division. In few years you will have like 5 teams competing and later you would have no team to compete in elite division
Agree, I believe also that their goal is to get rid of elite division at some point when there are enough teams competing at Premier.

But what is the point of making teams move up to level 6 after they win and then 2 years later letting them go back to elite
Makes no sense to me at all

Back