International Worlds Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 19, 2010
So there has been a bit of a discussion on the UK cheerleading forum about international worlds team and I just wanted to see if anyone on here has any more info on it.

Over here we win a worlds bid for the following season to allow us to save up etc etc in the past there have been many people leave teams or teams seek higher skilled athletes and therefore the roster changes significantly from winning the bid to stepping onto the mat at worlds. This even includes increasing team size and holding open tryouts to find a worlds team (often taking athletes from other gyms).

My understanding is that there is a maximum of 10 substitutions allowed and the no of athletes cannot exceed that of the bid winning team. The general consensus is that the rule just simply doesnt apply to us as we get our bids the season before..but i cant find this exception anywhere in black and white

Anyone know anything more on this?

I know in Australia the rosters have changed dramatically as it is often a year and a half between our bids being awarded and worlds (eg. November 2011 and competing Worlds 2013). This is in the process of changing for our most respected bid awarding EP which is no longer allowing teams to defer bids. You go into competition in November knowing that you are going to Worlds the following year if you are successful. As to whether this means you can change rosters… well I imagine most teams wouldn't change dramatically as it is not a significant period of time. I'm positive that there would be some sort of roster change and people who earned the bid but lack the skills of potential new members could lose their spots. I highly doubt it would be more than 10 people because we simply don't have the population lol! But to answer your question, I don't think it's stated anywhere explicitly that international teams are excepted from the rule. Check with the ICU/IASF reps in your country.

I don't think it's stated anywhere explicitly that international teams are excepted from the rule. Check with the ICU/IASF reps in your country.

Thanks, unfortunately our reps are all EPs and/or High level coaches who take these teams to worlds.

Our bids typically get given from March - July 2013 for 2014 worlds. I think its great your main EP is making a big change with this. I don't see why international teams should have further rule exceptions/different score sheets if not necessary.

The main problem I have with this is a cheer season starts 31st August. For the UK if you start you cheer season in line with when cheer season starts officially, nationals in November would be crazy. (Imagine senior Elite's Showcase being their one and only chance at a bid for worlds, and they are clearly leaps and bounds ahead of the UK) So therefore our earliest nationals is March, 3 weeks is not enough time to raise £1200 to actually go to worlds.
The other problem we have is if we change our cheer season to start straight after worlds in May, you have the team who train May -september then your 16yr olds go to college in Sept, then get told they are not allowed to take time out of college to go to worlds. Not the cheerleaders fault, but then you also end up loosing half your athlete's due to this. To be fair there is no easy way around this.

Hi, here in Chile is kind of similar. But I think (like in other sports) is something that each country have to fix by themselves because nobody knows better each reality en their own country. In some point, people in charge needs to know that doing nothing about it may be is going to work good for the country´s name outside but not for the sake of the industry.

Back