Introduction And Question

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 8, 2016
Hello! My daughter is 10 years old and is on a junior level 2 all-star team. She has been cheering since age 5 and started as a flyer because she was very petite. This year she was switched to a base because she had grown 15 inches in 18 months! She is now 5'2" and still growing, although it has slowed down a lot.

This has been hard on her because she really loved flying. She knows that bases are just as important as flyers, but she says she misses the sensation of flying so high in the air.

Are there any parents of flyers who have dealt with this issue here? She is working very diligently at learning how to base, and her coach says she is doing great. It seems to me that there is a trend at her gym of using the youngest athletes as flyers regardless of skill and flexibility.

Is there a hard and fast upper limit on height for flyers? Or does this vary considerably from gym to gym? She has mentioned that she would be willing to change gyms in order to fly, even though it would mean leaving close friends and long-time coaches.

I really believe her desire to fly is due to a sincere love of the feeling of being in the air rather than the status of being a flyer. Her coaches have always emphasized that without strong and skilled bases, it doesn't matter how good the flyer is, the stunts will look bad and fall.

Thanks for your help!

Oh, one more thing: I forgot to mention that always has been, and still is, naturally very slim. So I don't think that her weight is an issue. But I definitely see a trend at her gym, not just the teams she's been on but the level 5 teams too, of the flyers being the lightest (and usually shortest) girls. This worked to her advantage when she was tiny and 10th percentile in height and weight, but now she's 60th in weight but 99th for height (the only reason her weight percentile is even that high is because of her height. She's 5'2" and weighs 80 lbs).

Welcome to the world of All Star cheer.

First and foremost I am happy to hear your daughter (cp) has accepted her position and is working hard to learn it despite still wanting to fly.

You are far from the first to have your daughter experience this. While there is no set limit on height and weight the trend of late is to use shorter lighter fliers that are easier to flip, toss, and catch.

Given her growth spurt I would venture a guess her flying days may be coming to an end at most gyms. You can try other places but I'll tell you it is a dangerous slope going for the fly or die attitude. It will tremendously limit her team options down the road. Versatility is important.

**Maybe I should try a new hobby**

Welcome to the world of All Star cheer.

First and foremost I am happy to hear your daughter (cp) has accepted her position and is working hard to learn it despite still wanting to fly.

You are far from the first to have your daughter experience this. While there is no set limit on height and weight the trend of late is to use shorter lighter fliers that are easier to flip, toss, and catch.

Given her growth spurt I would venture a guess her flying days may be coming to an end at most gyms. You can try other places but I'll tell you it is a dangerous slope going for the fly or die attitude. It will tremendously limit her team options down the road. Versatility is important.

Thanks for your advice. I think you are probably right - it looks like she is destined to be tall like her mom and dad. I don't really want her to switch gyms because I feel the coaching staff is very good and she has a lot of friends at the gym. She has been holding out hope that she will be able to return to flying, but it sounds like it's time to sit down with her and tell her that's not realistic.

Thanks again for your perspective.

Thanks for your advice. I think you are probably right - it looks like she is destined to be tall like her mom and dad. I don't really want her to switch gyms because I feel the coaching staff is very good and she has a lot of friends at the gym. She has been holding out hope that she will be able to return to flying, but it sounds like it's time to sit down with her and tell her that's not realistic.

Thanks again for your perspective.
It would be the best favor you could do for her if she wants to continue in this sport. I have seen too many girls with the "fly or die" mentality become unhappy/ unhealthy holding onto it too long.

PS, what does CP stand for? Cheer participant?

I knew absolutely nothing about cheerleading when my daughter joined (because a her best friend in kindergarten) cheered, so I've had a lot to learn, especially as she's progressed in levels!

PS, what does CP stand for? Cheer participant?

I knew absolutely nothing about cheerleading when my daughter joined (because a her best friend in kindergarten) cheered, so I've had a lot to learn, especially as she's progressed in levels!

Most here recognize CP as Cheer Person/princess/Prince/participant while I typically prefer crazy person or anything else close

Sorry for the second post.

But I'd like to add, as you daughter progresses in skill, level, and age it is possible she may be asked to fly again for something specific or I'm tue pyramid or as a fill in but I wouldn't count on it at this time.

Bottom line is as teams needs change so does people's positions and those that are most versatile are valued the most

It seems to me that there is a trend at her gym of using the youngest athletes as flyers regardless of skill and flexibility.

Hi, I am pretty new here too. There were some threads in the past on this topic if you feel like searching (it has been a fairly hot topic I think)...

I really feel that once the team is made ages are not really relevant. So if it is a junior team it doesn't matter if your 10, 11 or 12 year old is small for their age, if there are smaller girls who can learn to fly they most likely will. I can't imagine what other position on the team these small girls would have if not flying? Sure they could try basing but I would imagine it is more difficult for the little 8 year olds to base 12 year olds than the other way around. I say this as a mom of a 60-something lb 11 year old who based on a junior team and is a flyer on a senior team. I feel pretty confident that at some point in her future she most likely will be basing again....

It sounds as if you are very supportive and realistic. Working as hard as possible to be as good as possible regardless of position will make her most valuable. I'd encourage her to keep stretching too because you never know when a sub is needed or a more senior team needs a fill in. Good luck!

This is our 8th year in All-Star and I have seen this time and time again. Girls hit age 10, 11, 12...their bodies start to change, and the big growth spurt is one of the changes. My daughter had always been a flyer, but the year she was 12 she grew 5 inches. That is a huge change, and it is difficult for all involved. She was still very slim, but she just became so lanky in a short time. :D There are always younger, pre-pubescent girls they can use to fly. Thankfully, my child decided on her own she wanted to try basing (she thought that bases were the "cool" kids on her team, lol) and although she is a small base, she is excellent at it. We are very proud of her.

Of course, this won't help you bc your cp loves flying. Honestly, I feel bad for kids like yours bc age 10, 11 is so young to have something that is out of her control impact her goals. I really wish they would tighten the bottom age requirements for junior and senior teams to let older girls have a better chance to keep flying if they want. Because ultimately, once they age out and perhaps want to cheer in college...the playing field is more level. The girls are the same age! Skill, natural ability, and build are the factors. So...I would encourage your cp to learn how to be a great base in the interests of being a well-rounded cheerleader, but I would also keep up her flying classes and stretching. You never know when they could stick her on a senior team, and if she has demonstrated a commitment to keeping up her skills, she could easily fly again.

It's great that she's working hard at basing! Cheer is a sport that has no guaranteed positions. I'm on two senior teams and I fly on one and base/front/fly on the other. I'm very small for my age (barely 5'2 and almost 17) but I'm considered to be a large flyer compared to the other girls. There will always be someone who is smaller, but that doesn't mean you have to give up. At the beginning of this season I was meant to be a base, but I talked to the coaches and let them know that while I had no problem with basing, and would still try my hardest, I felt that flying was what I was best at. I was given a chance to fly at the first practice of the season on one of the teams and proved that I could fly well with the bases on the team. There's no shame in asking to try a position and letting the coaches know that you want to work for it, As long as you aren't demanding to be given a position or threatening to go somewhere else if your kid doesn't get the position they want. Even if she doesn't fly on a team this season try to get her into some classes where she can work on her flying. She might never be one of the main flyers on any team she's on, but if she has the skill and dedication then the coaches will know who to pick to fly a basket during tumbling or be the strong center in the pyramid.

Back