All-Star Is 30 too old?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 30, 2022
I just turned 30. I started cheering rec as a young girl, then for school, and finally all star. Long story short I desperately want to be apart of a team. Get back in it.
I was a main base and/or back spot. No tumbling. Do y’all have any advice? Is there even such a thing? Adult cheerleaders? I’m open!

My daughter is on an IOC4 team with a 39, 35 and a 32 year old. The rest of the team are mostly late teens/early twenties and a handful of 15 - 17 year olds. There are a few coaches on the team and they're all really respectful of each other.

In previous seasons we've also had an Open 2 team with a mix of parents and people in their 20s who came to cheer through university (university cheer isn't a big thing here in the UK).

This weekend I've been at a competition with NT3, 4 and 5 teams that had plenty of older cheerleaders.

My daughter is on an IOC4 team with a 39, 35 and a 32 year old. The rest of the team are mostly late teens/early twenties and a handful of 15 - 17 year olds. There are a few coaches on the team and they're all really respectful of each other.

In previous seasons we've also had an Open 2 team with a mix of parents and people in their 20s who came to cheer through university (university cheer isn't a big thing here in the UK).

This weekend I've been at a competition with NT3, 4 and 5 teams that had plenty of older cheerleaders.
Wow so encouraging for me. Do you know anything about collegiate programs? An age max? You know... some judges may feel a certain type of way about my age....

Wow so encouraging for me. Do you know anything about collegiate programs? An age max? You know... some judges may feel a certain type of way about my age....

I am well past 30 and still on a Worlds team. I moved to a non-tumble team a couple of years ago because I actually was getting too old for that. However, if a judge is marking you based on your age and not what your team is doing on the floor, then they shouldn't be judging.

As for collegiate, I'v never heard of age max, and even looking into cheering when I was in Grad school (still well past 30), but I believe there are usually eligibility limits of a certain number of years you can participate in college level sports (I think it's 5, but that's just a guess - I actually know little to nothing about the US College system)

Honestly, it's more about skills and less about age. If you're an exceptional cheerleader, coaches won't care if you're 15 or 50. That being said, if your skills aren't up to par, you probably aren't going to make a team, regardless of age.

Oh my gosh, I’m literally on the same boat. I just turned 29 and wanting to get back on a worlds team! Does anyone know which Cali gym has an open team? I’m in the Phoenix area and would literally consider relocated or traveling to try out for a worlds team.

Oh my gosh, I’m literally on the same boat. I just turned 29 and wanting to get back on a worlds team! Does anyone know which Cali gym has an open team? I’m in the Phoenix area and would literally consider relocated or traveling to try out for a worlds team.

Most of the Cali gyms, except the one in Mesa, have open teams (which is unfortunate for you, considering you live in Phoenix). if it helps, I live in the West Valley and cheer at Top Gun (right off the 101 on Thunderbird) on their Coed Non Tumble team, Stealth. Top Gun also has TGOC which is an Open team with tumbling, AZ Element (about two miles north of Top Gun) has Vibranium, which is Global and open for older athletes, Cheerforce up in Northish Scottsdale has Omega (they used to have Three Six Revive as well, though I don't think they do anymore), and USA Starz in Gilbert has Lady Liberty, which is an AG Non Tumble Team (and used to have Reign, though I don't think they're fielding it this year). So depending on what you're looking for, you may find it here, if relocating is a bit much.

LOL I just logged in after almost a year because my 20 year old moved back from South Korea and wants to cheer again. I literally know NOTHING about the current all star/competition world.

I really want a team like the one in the movie Poms. At 50, with bad knees and hips, that’s about my speed. And I think it would be fun. I did parent team a few seasons back, where we started practicing together after the main season ended and then performed for the Summit show night, but it didn’t come back the following year due to COVID, and now my CP is off at college, so I’m no longer a parent at that gym. Plus I teach piano in the evenings.

Back