Is Doping Going To Become An Upcoming Problem In All-star Cheerleading?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 5, 2013
Click For Full Article

This article was originally published on TumblingCoach.com
Read the original right HERE: Is Doping Going To Become An Upcoming Problem In All-Star Cheerleading?

Author: Coach Sahil M.

Performance Enhancing Drugs are a topic of discussion that most coaches won’t touch with a 10-foot pole. And I don’t blame them – doping is a sensitive issue which can have big implications on your public image if you say the “wrong” thing. Also, when it comes to PED’s I’ve found that 99% of people […]

Liked this article? Visit TumblingCoach.com for even more great pieces just like this!

OP discusses athlete technique, and I agree. PED doesn't give you a layout, nor technique and stunt timing. We've all seen athletes with more raw strength outbased by a smaller athlete with superior technique and knowledge of different grips. The powerful high school age talented individual athletes whose stunt groups don't work well together, struggle with extensions. While youth age stunt groups with good timing working in unison put up harder stunts like magic.

I'm aware that some school age athletes "enhance" whether for performance or looks/physique, more often without the knowledge of their coaches. I'm not worried about my kids competing against a team where athletes are "enhanced", but I would not want them to become part of the culture that PEDs are normal or an expectation that it is needed to succeed. Cheer has so many team and subjective performance factors, that I believe a team which focuses on technique and healthy nutrition, can be competitive without PEDs.

It would be interesting to hear others' perception

Last edited:
OP discusses athlete technique, and I agree. PED doesn't give you a layout, nor technique and stunt timing. We've all seen athletes with more raw strength outbased by a smaller athlete with superior technique and knowledge of different grips. The powerful high school age talented individual athletes whose stunt groups don't work well together, struggle with extensions. While youth age stunt groups with good timing working in unison put up harder stunts like magic.

I'm aware that some school age athletes "enhance" whether for performance or looks/physique, more often without the knowledge of their coaches. I'm not worried about my kids competing against a team where athletes are "enhanced", but I would not want them to become part of the culture that PEDs are normal or an expectation that it is needed to succeed. Cheer has so many team and subjective performance factors, that I believe a team which focuses on technique and healthy nutrition, can be competitive without PEDs.

It would be interesting to hear others' perception
This is an excellent perspective.

Back